• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should a world distance record with wind assistance count?

Should a world distance record with wind assistance count?

• Yes.

Votes: 81 63.3%
  • No.

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters
My 2 cents

Surfers have to deal with different waves during competition but get graded the same. Sometimes waiting for that big wave prevents scoring on smaller waves. The waves are a part of the unknown that make surfing competitions vary and add to the excitement.

If wind is such a concern then what about other disc or frisbee world records. What about MTA? A 15 second catch in a 20 mph wind is not as good as a 12 second catch in a 10 mph wind???? MTA is ALL about using whatever wind is out there. With no wind, it kinda sucks. With too much wind, it sucks! Same with Disc Golf distance competition.

Top players are sound in technique but the one variable they can't control is the wind. It' that unknown quantity that makes it possible for something special and out of the ordinary to occur...say a new world record.

Every All Around tournament I've played the idea was to set up the distance competition so that there was a tailwind if possible. Sometimes doesn't always work that way.

Well said, I agree completely. Wind is an integral part of disc sports, and that's been a constant since this record has been kept so it's not like it's something that's only helping out the new players trying to break the record (unlike disc technology, but that's a different story altogether).

Big D in the Desert is the event held to determine World Distance Champions and the World Distance Record. Below is a list of previous winners. I also listed wind conditions and disc used when available.

Big D in the Desert I - Christian Voight - 687'

Big D in the Desert II(2001) - Christian Voight - 712' with 10mph wind using 170g Discraft Elite Pro XS

Big D in the Desert III- Jack Cooksey - 659' throwing an Innova Archangel

Big D in the Desert IV(2002) - Christian Sandstrom - 820' with 25mph wind throwing a 170g Innova DX Valkyrie. Second place was Ken Jarvis - 810' with 20mph wind throwing a 168g Innova DX Teebird

Big D in the Desert V - ?

Big D in the Desert VI(2004) - Tim Cohn - 687' with 15mph wind throwing 164g Innova Orc

Big D in the Desert VII(2006) - Christian Voight - 719' with 10mph wind throwing 172g Discraft ESP Flash

Big D in the Desert VIII(2008) - Jussi Meresmaa - 669' throwing a 166g Innova Pro Destroyer. At this event on a practice shot, Avery Jenkins - 840' with 20-25mph wind throwing a 165g Innova DX Destroyer.

What this shows is anyone attempting to break the record will probably need at least 20mph wind to do so. Who knows when that will happen at this event during an official round?

What a crazy way to determine a World Distance Record! Obviously flawed!

i said it should not count because it is unfair from year to year.
it would make more sense if they threw tailwind then into headwind
and then averaged them out.

so it is very unfair how it is now because that record could never be broken.

so just hold the event indoors and erase all of the old records.

so it is very unfair how it is now because that record could never be broken.

Definitely not the case since Avery threw 20' further than the current record, it just wasn't during an official attempt.

I don't understand. Why does Avery not get to claim the record? It was a well-witnessed, and obviously measured throw. Why does it have to be one of the "official competition throws" to be considered for the record? I can see how it wouldn't count for the event competition, but I don't see where the record books would require you to win an event competition with your throw for it to count. And I've seen the video on Youtube where the Wiggins kid claimed a record without it being in a sanctioned event. Looks like he was just out with his dad in a field with a few witnesses.

I don't understand. Why does Avery not get to claim the record? It was a well-witnessed, and obviously measured throw. Why does it have to be one of the "official competition throws" to be considered for the record? I can see how it wouldn't count for the event competition, but I don't see where the record books would require you to win an event competition with your throw for it to count. And I've seen the video on Youtube where the Wiggins kid claimed a record without it being in a sanctioned event. Looks like he was just out with his dad in a field with a few witnesses.

Good point. My guess is an official judge wasn't present to witness it.

This webpage gives more details:

http://www.zonedriven.com/jenkins/?p=45