• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should a world distance record with wind assistance count?

• Yes.

Votes: 81 63.3%
  • No.

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters

leppard

Double Eagle Member
Having a world distance record with wind assistance just doesn't seem right. I would like to see world distance records without any outside variables or a least large variables like wind.

If only they could shut off the wind when they have distance competitions, or DG tournaments period for that matter.

Considering the aerodynamic qualities of discs, wind from any direction can negatively impact the flight as far as distance goes, so I'm not sure I'd call it "assistance".

Having a world distance record with wind assistance just doesn't seem right. I would like to see world distance records without any outside variables or a least large variables like wind.

So if you make an ace on a windy day, where the wind carried you disc further than it normaly would have gone, are you not going to count that ace? It dosen't seem right.;)

Should an ace pushed in by wind count?

Should a missed putt with wind be a free mulligan?

Wind is part of our game.

Nice timing Midnight.

Another point is this:

I got the Vibram 2009 DVD and during the long drive competition Avery Jenkins laid down a 588', 599', 600', 601' back to back to back.

If he got a wind push he could easily beat the record.

Its not like I could step up and throw an 800' drive even if I had a friggin' tornado backing me up.

Playing the wind is one of the hardest parts of breaking a record like that.

If we're going to get rid of the wind factor we should require a specific disc to be used, too. The same goes for anything the compedators are wearing. The temperature, humidity and pressure would need to be specified as well.

A world distance record should be in some kind of controlled environment. A person attempting to break it shouldn't have to rely on outside variables like wind to have a chance to break it. If the 820' record in 2002 were realistic it would have been broken by now. Disc technology has improved considerably in 7 years.

We're talking about wind for distance throwing and not wind as a factor in disc golf, they're 2 totally different things. I'm in favor of some sort of limitation to wind speeds and what should count as world records. It gets kind of silly that they look for the windiest place in the world and wait for weeks to hold a competition there just to get the perfect winds to break the world record.

so we need a building that is 1000 feet of open space and all weather factors can be controlled, just for a record that 85% of the world doesn't know exists

They just had a distance competition in Japan in freezing weather. Avery Jenkins won with a 600' drive.

Amazing IMO, I know my D suffers big in those conditions...grip, strength, tight muscles, just plain being miserable, more wind in the winter, etc... all conspire against you.

What is more pandering, waiting for that "perfect" day or going out and having the competition regardless of conditions.

I think you will see that most distance competitions fall into the latter and that is why the record hasn't been broken...that and it is just silly ill distance.

avery threw further than the record in practice at the big d in the desert contest last year, just didn't get the right conditions in the competition.

I voted no, but here is why. in other sports where wind can make an impact of the record, they are required to make the attempt twice. they make the first attempt heading in a direction and then make a second attempt coming back the opposite way on the line they just took. they then use the average of the two as the oficcial recording. so jut throwing one way i say no but if you do it in two opposing directions i dont have a problem if the wind assisted you on one or both throws depending on the angles you throw with the wind

I voted no, but here is why. in other sports where wind can make an impact of the record, they are required to make the attempt twice. they make the first attempt heading in a direction and then make a second attempt coming back the opposite way on the line they just took. they then use the average of the two as the oficcial recording. so jut throwing one way i say no but if you do it in two opposing directions i dont have a problem if the wind assisted you on one or both throws depending on the angles you throw with the wind

good point, then wind helps one way, hurts the other to equalize.
However that doesn't help determine the validity of an 800' record.

A world distance record should be in some kind of controlled environment. A person attempting to break it shouldn't have to rely on outside variables like wind to have a chance to break it. If the 820' record in 2002 were realistic it would have been broken by now. Disc technology has improved considerably in 7 years.
I disagree, the disc thrown doesn't have as much to do with the distance as some people think it does. It's more about technique with a touch of luck.

In some track and field events they have a wind limit of 2 meters per second in your back for short sprint distances for example, I don't think they have any limits for javelin throwing, but I guess the wind would only affect a javelin marginally.