• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I switch to heavier discs?

nnelson42

Bogey Member
I have been playing for about 10 months and have almost exclusively 150g DX plastic. The reasoning for this is because I heard it was better to start with lighter discs to develop form.

About 3-4 months in I was really doing well. Had a good snap and discs were going exactly where I wanted them. Once the winter came I didn't play nearly as often as I used to, but was still able to play about 10-20 rounds between late december and mid march.

As the days have gotten longer I have been able to play a lot more, but have not been able to get back to the form I once had (or at least the results I was having early on). One of the biggest challenges seems to be the drives. I find that I am turning the over a lot (RHBH...discs are going to the right). At first I thought I might just be strong arming it (which I probably am), but regardless I think you can only probably throw 150g discs so far/hard...Even when I was going good there seemed to be a certain limit to how far I could throw.

Anyway...should I think about moving to heavier discs if I am turning over a lot of my 150g discs? Is my power being limited more by the weight of the disc (and not being able to throw it as hard) or simply by my technique?

BTW...I am 30 years old, 6'1" and in good shape.

Some will disagree, but I don't find that much difference between weights of the disc so much as the plastic type. My 150g Blizzard Boss holds its line and travels similar distance to my Champion Boss at 175g.

Your issue may be the DX plastic is beginning to show its age. Have you tried a fresh Star or Champion version of your fav discs?

Some will disagree, but I don't find that much difference between weights of the disc so much as the plastic type. My 150g Blizzard Boss holds its line and travels similar distance to my Champion Boss at 175g.

Your issue may be the DX plastic is beginning to show its age. Have you tried a fresh Star or Champion version of your fav discs?

Blizzards were specifically designed to hold the same flight lines as their heavier counterparts.

Standard 150 class discs do show quite a difference in flight though.

To answer the OP. Yes, it sounds like you have more than enough power to move to heavier weights. Try a Leopard in the mid to high 160s to continue honing your form.

I have been playing for about 10 months and have almost exclusively 150g DX plastic. The reasoning for this is because I heard it was better to start with lighter discs to develop form.

About 3-4 months in I was really doing well. Had a good snap and discs were going exactly where I wanted them. Once the winter came I didn't play nearly as often as I used to, but was still able to play about 10-20 rounds between late december and mid march.

As the days have gotten longer I have been able to play a lot more, but have not been able to get back to the form I once had (or at least the results I was having early on). One of the biggest challenges seems to be the drives. I find that I am turning the over a lot (RHBH...discs are going to the right). At first I thought I might just be strong arming it (which I probably am), but regardless I think you can only probably throw 150g discs so far/hard...Even when I was going good there seemed to be a certain limit to how far I could throw.

Anyway...should I think about moving to heavier discs if I am turning over a lot of my 150g discs? Is my power being limited more by the weight of the disc (and not being able to throw it as hard) or simply by my technique?

BTW...I am 30 years old, 6'1" and in good shape.

The world record distance throw was done with a 135g Blizzard disc so I don't think there is a limit to how far you can throw a light disc. However I do think you can probably overpower an understable one easier.

Hows your release angle? Maybe you're turning your wrist over a bit. I do this sometimes and the disc will sail right, looks like I'm turning it over, but in fact I just released it on an anhyzer because I cocked my wrist up. Right now a lot of my shots are going left because I think I'm low on the angle.

I'd check that before you go off buying new discs, unless you want to that is lol. Then by all means new disc are fun

On the other hand though beat up DX disc will get flippy after a while, thats why I tend to like the more premium plastic. I'd rather deal with learning the flight of that and it staying that way for a while, then having a dx that I like and then it turning into something totally different after I hit some trees with it for a few months, because let me tell you I REALLY like hitting trees lol

Without knowing what discs you're throwing and how far you're throwing them it's impossible to tell. Chances are it's technique rather than disc selection, but it could very well be either one. Either way it's a good idea to learn to throw those light, possibly understable discs on hyzers that don't flatten, so working on that is probably a good idea.

Are you doing this with 150 DX Leopards (aka starter pack discs)? Because they should be very flippy by now, not because of the weight but because of all the dings I'm sure you've put in them. If you do throw leopards, try a fresh, heavier pro version.

I once bought a 153 champ leopard because it was a cheap x-out and thought I would just screw around with it. It flew just like my 175 champ leopard. I was able to throw it 350'+ on a laser. Weight really has nothing to do with stability, just wind resistance and possibly distance.

Seems like there could be a few factors at work here. If your DX discs were getting to/past that "sweet spot" of wear and tear as you finished up your busier discing season then it seems quite possible that they will be a bit more difficult to practice/see flaws in your form now that you're starting back up again.

If you're planning on continuing with disc golf and playing just as frequently this season, then purchasing some of your favorite discs in premium plastic (Champion/Star) may not be a bad idea. However, if you don't want to shell out the extra $$$ then maybe getting a fresh set in DX and seeing how they fly for you wouldn't hurt either.

Latest posts