• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Show me the Viper Love!

riverboy said:
At OP: I love vipers. I use champion vipers as my main, and currently only, piggy driver.(Unless you count CE eagle X's.) It takes a hurricane to turn them over, and they are incredibly consistent.

They pretty much are my only OVERstable disc in my bag.

67viper_title_03.jpg

Viper love (love-child)

I think it is because the Whippet is smaller diameter, wider winged, slightly lower profile, a little faster, and most importantly... it is newer.

I find that the Viper is the most utilized disc in my bag. I carry 3- a CFR, a newer DX and a beat DX; the beat one is good any day, and the others are valuable when its windy (most days around these parts). I also like the feel of these discs for overhands.

biodarwin said:
What makes the Viper dated and the whippet still cool?

I found a whippet once I was super excited to see what it was like. To my dismay it was the slowest overstable POS I ever threw. That was until I threw a flick. I don't think I have enough arm to backhand them. But I do pretty well throwing thumbers with them.

@peppermak- when I was about 11 I was bitten by a copperhead and spent 3 days in the icu. There is a reason to be fearful of some snakes. And I am sure the mother of children that hike where you do appreciate what you do. Also, if you leave the snake dead there are snakes more or less likely to come around?

marmoset said:
I think it is because the Whippet is smaller diameter, wider winged, slightly lower profile, a little faster, and most importantly... it is newer.

A Star or Champ Whippet is also way more overstable than a DX Viper, but I've never thrown a Champ Viper to compare. I imagine its beefy. They're harder to find, regardless.

Also, the Whippet has a much more comfortable grip for me.

i just started throwing a 175 dx viper. i like it but its not as stable as i had hoped. i was expecting slower firebird with similar skips, but its more like a teebird with a touch more hss and lss. i just bought an old SE 180 that im gonna try. i think i will give it a spot in the bag though.

On the subject of snakes and disc golf, there was one time in my practice field where I managed to throw farther than I ever throw. Probably about 425' feet or so. Amazing, considering that I average around 360'....

But anyway, I was excited about the drive, so I ran up to where it was laying, and there was about a 3' long snake laying right on top of my star orc. Freaked me out. True story.

I just got a champ viper and it is awesome. It was like someone decided a champ whippet was too flippy. Best wind disc ever.

Frank Delicious said:
I just got a champ viper and it is awesome. It was like someone decided a champ whippet was too flippy. Best wind disc ever.
I agree. Crazy accurate and consistent. Champion vipers are my favorite wind disc by far.

i just traded for a champ viper but havent gotten a chance to throw it yet. i also just bought a few more 1995 SE vipers. my beat in dx one flies great and floats great. ive taken my teebird out of my bag for awhile and im trying a viper set, beat dx for straight, new SE for stable and have my leopard still for left to right. not saying the teebird is gone, but i dont really throw it much and i like the consistent stability i get from the viper where a full power flat throw on my teebird has been turning and burning (its been in the bag for 4 months so maybe its just getting beat).