• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Side hill baskets: What disc?

EL-KABONG

* Ace Member *
I have been playing more and more of these dastardly bastards of late:
Hole 2 @ HB just got converted to a relatively steep one
Holes 10, 12, 15 and 16 @ La Mirada (Front)
Holes 10 and 12 @ Sylmar/Veterans

Questions:

What disc or type of discs stay put best on an upshot to these steep baskets/holes?

What type of throw is least likely to "catch an edge" and head down the hill?

I have been using a variety of discs and angles but some of the above holes are pretty steep and it is tough to stick a landing.

A floppy disc on a flat throw should work fine. Any soft discraft putter, JK/r pro aviar, SSS wizard, x-link soft anything etc.

I have been throwing my floppy 166 ion with mixed results...and an rpro dart, and a gator

I think the mistake too many make is thinking a specific disc is needed...whats needed is a specific throw (one that will land flush with the terrain and slide rather than bounce and roll. Whatever disc you can manipulate consistently to land flush with the terrain is best. (All discs are round)

Optidisc is right, I personally use an S wizard for all my ups, I was just listing some floppy discs

I have been throwing my floppy 166 ion with mixed results...and an rpro dart, and a gator

EEEgad Ive seen an ION roll forever away from the basket in a ridiculous fast and straight line due to it's gyroscopic design with so much weight on the rim :doh:

I can't believe no one has said blowfly or a floppy 10m brick.

I was going to mention those but they end up messing up your overall game from what Ive been told

I wouldn't actually put with one but I meant just for laying up on a hill, it's not going to screw with your game too much that way.

I can't believe no one has said blowfly or a floppy 10m brick.

Thanks

I have tried anny's and hyzers to match terrain/slope and even some of my best 'matches' have rolled off. I'm sure I hit a root or tuft of grass or something that "kicked" em up. I have almost given up on this method because it has resulted in some real disasters and it is adding considerable difficulty (and chance for error) to these upshots. I still do it if I am close and I wanna lay up.

As far as the ion goes, that soft light one has rolled away the least but I wouldn't even try those shots with a 'wagon wheel' heavy medium

I am gonna get some even floppier putters for this shot

We have a course up here that is notorious for this (Napa, Skyline Wilderness Park). We call them the "******* Napa rollers! Depends on the direction needed. WHat has worked for me....I aim for the bushes lol! Funny, but true sometimes. The locals who have both have backhand and side arm, will try to make sure the disc will hyzer into the hill. That way it doesn't skip down the hill. Trying to land it at the same angle of the slope may work for close up shots, but if it still hyzers out down the hill, it will roll. Putting is just a flat otu pain. You better make it! or you get to watch it roll a few hundered feet down the hill...DOH!
So, the only true semi-effective way I've seen, still rolls sometimes, just the nature of the beast (not the disc)! Is to hyzer it into the hill or like I've done, as well as others...is aim for a bush! Because I really don't think disc sellection makes a diff. I say this, because I've walked down plenty of hills going after just about every disc in my bag at some point, but not as often once they pointed out the hyzer onto the hill idea.

I wouldn't actually put with one but I meant just for laying up on a hill, it's not going to screw with your game too much that way.

I'm not arguing with you but how far away from the basket would you be throwing your gumbputt or soft brick......I would think you might be going for chains and thus 'putting' or are you actually approaching with these discs
I'm not against specialty discs/...I struggle with this problem on this hole myself...between wind and pitch of the hill I have not figured this one out yet

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=20&p=14cbf85b

Hole 6 is nasty

good point regarding margin for error regarding landing flush w terrain....I can't agree with throwing a hyzer into a hill Ive seen this one stand up and roll as well.....I think the best idea is to attempt to throw with very little spin and flush w terrain....high speed spin shots tend to stand up and roll whereas low spin gives more of a dead landing potential.

I am not asking about putting: upshots/approaches only

Today I used the ion on a spike hyzer and a lower, flatter hyzer that hit the hill at or above perpendicular to the slope face: got two pars. Both upshots were 60-70 feet out and 10-15 feet below the basket.

One rolled away but arrested at 15-20 foot range

no grass at sylmar or huntington
There are logs and bushes that I have gone for "Rescue style"

Here's the new HB hole 2

photo203v.jpg

I agree with Opti that it's the throw (landing actually) and not so much the disc. That said, I like the DX Aero for these types of up shots. They like to land flat and aren't too springy. I bought a Blowfly thinking it would replace my Aero for this show but I've found that it (and the Juju) are more likely to spring up and catch and edge and roll if it trickles off the basket or pole.

no grass at sylmar or huntington
There are logs and bushes that I have gone for "Rescue style"

Here's the new HB hole 2

photo203v.jpg
Awww, I thought you were talking about a HILL lol! No shot will work perfect. Heck the discs are round after all :) Better to hyzer it into the hill, have it stick of skip up the hill. I've tried them all (except a thumber). At one time or another, they've all (shot sellection) gone down the hill. Look at the video for the Steady Ed at De Laveaga in Santa Cruz that Climo won (2yrs ago?). Just about every pro kept talking about getting "De La'd". It's just going to happen dude.

I've used a blowfly and a blunt gumbputt for sloped terrain and they sometimes seem to make the disc roll more. I wanted the rubber to act like a brake on the ground but they seem to give at just the right spots (or wrong spots depending on how you look at it) to stabilize and roll like a tire down the hill.

Arrrrrggghhh!!!!

I now just use a basic aviar for those putts and coordinate my landings appropriately for the pitch of the terrain. Slope left-backhand, slope right-flick.

Same with all throws too.