• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Side hill baskets: What disc?

Figure out your putter. Use the same putter every time.Practice. I have 10 Rhynos.It's the only way I win.If I putt good I win.

I think I might just carry on what I was doing...i feel lucky not to have had a "florking napa roller"
I have had a near lake roller @ hole 12 lami tho

Btw, Rescue; that hill @ hb is pretty short (40 ish high, basket about half way up) but it is well capable of ruining your day. It has only been in that position for a week. Hasn't owned me yet...but gravity is a bitch

I think I might just carry on what I was doing...i feel lucky not to have had a "florking napa roller"
I have had a near lake roller @ hole 12 lami tho

Btw, Rescue; that hill @ hb is pretty short (40 ish high, basket about half way up) but it is well capable of ruining your day. It has only been in that position for a week. Hasn't owned me yet...but gravity is a bitch
LOL! I hear ya. Gravity ....sucks! One more thing about the hyzer into the hill. It has more to do with the spin on the disc. If the hills on your lft and you backhand it. The rotation is going to put it "into" the hill. Not skip down it, if say, the hill was to your rt snd you backhanded it.
Either way hills suck! Good luck!

I've found great luck and accuracy throwing a Monarch OH. Its not a putting shot, but thrown on a decent arc it'll flip flat, pancake right where it hits, and won't slide more than a couple feet.

for some reason this never works out for me.....what type of disc will not stand up when thrown upside down..........been trying to figure which way an overstable vs understable will go...confusing

just throw your putter, but low to the ground, and let it slide up. it only works if its snowy or dirt, not so well on grass.

Its also a good escape shot to get under things, its really more of a last resort for me

I very much disagree with the soft disc idea on this one. These have the same possibility of standing up and rolling, maybe even a better possibility since they are springy and may bounce or spring off the ground and pop up on edge. It is all about the technique, being able to use a disc that you can consistantly "flop" onto the hill.

Oh yea, and overhand shots DO NOT work in this situation. If you haven't tried it, don't!

just throw your putter, but low to the ground, and let it slide up. it only works if its snowy or dirt, not so well on grass.

Its also a good escape shot to get under things, its really more of a last resort for me

Nothing is garanteed when there is grass or weeds on the ground at your intended layup spot. Any shot, from any angle has a chance of popping up and rolling if you arent throwing onto a sandy or snowy surface

I carry a Superhero and/or a Zephyr in my bag. The Superhero is a great approach disc for hill shots.

I use a sss wizard/organic for most putts anyways but I just use my floppiest one for shots like these. Or make sure I throw a layup shot nice and flat. I want to get one of these ssss wizards for this. But that's all id probably use it for. Either way if you bounce off the basket, you have a better chance rolling away.
And for the record. I've also seen ions roll far away down hills when I threw them.

I can't believe no one has said blowfly or a floppy 10m brick.

Blowfly is awesome for such situations. I play some hilly courses and that puppy sits if I miss the chains. The cons are that it takes time to get comfortable throwing something that floppy for longer shots and the littlest twig can kill your line.

Soft/gummy discs are the best but but can still roll down hill. My home course has several sidehill baskets where many birdie tries turn into bogey or worse after the roll. I used to use a beat gumbputt but now a Vibram soft usually holds. Worst is usually the gummy putters that roll are throws that hit the basket and are so close to going in.

If you're looking for a disc that'll land flat with no fade, I'd suggest an Aero. If thrown up at a not too steep angle, you can make it stall and then float straight down.