• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Side hill baskets: What disc?

Flip City is notorious for basket placement on hills. This is why most people's first round on the course is usually their worst. It is definitely a factor that can completely rip apart a good round on a very scorable course that still remains difficult to many because of the rolling factor.

Step 1: Make a box
Step 2: Put putter into box
Step 3: Compress and heat
Step 4: Cool

Result: Square putter

My two choices are Wizard/Pain if I can get them to fade into the hill, or a thumber if I need to go the other direction.

huh?
side hill?

whatever disc gives you the ability and confidence to run right at the basket.
what's the worst that happens... the disc falls into the hill and gives you an easy putt...

maybe i dont get it.

if you are worried about the disc staying on the ground, use a Rhyno.
:wall:

is this game really as hard as most make it seem?

You must be the only golfer in the world who hasn't had a disc spit out of the chains or bounce off the basket and catch a roll all the way down the hill. Plus the OP was asking about upshots, not putts.

I agre with parallel to the hill being the safest options, and with ground shown in the picture having rocks and roots (that can flip the disc up on edge) I'd try to just drop it down rather than slide it up.

I think the mistake too many make is thinking a specific disc is needed...whats needed is a specific throw (one that will land flush with the terrain and slide rather than bounce and roll. Whatever disc you can manipulate consistently to land flush with the terrain is best. (All discs are round)

I played a course today with multiple baskets on the side of steep hills. If your disc lands and rolls, it can easily roll 200 feet or more form the basket. This has happen a few times to me. Like Optidisc says, it is more technique than anything. I tend to play pretty conservative and go for an easy par rather then risk it for the birdie and have it land wrong and then have to fight for the bogey. If the hill isn't too steep, I will throw into the hill, say a hyzer throw, RHBH on a hill that is high on the left and slopes to the right. If it is too steep, make the disc land flat with the angle of the slope.

My home course has a couple where the wrong bounce and roll can lead to 50+ comeback putts,usually I tend to actually play down the hill,like if its sloped downward on the anhyzer,i'll play that,a lot smoother landing with less of a chance of a roll away.

If the hill isn't too steep, I will throw into the hill, say a hyzer throw, RHBH on a hill that is high on the left and slopes to the right.

This ^ is what i've been doing lately and it is the most successful so far

What works for me: I throw blowflies all the time, and have for years, putting, approach, and even some drives. On hills I find that if you throw it with the nose slightly up and flat, so that the disc comes in almost like a helicopter, it will tend to land and not roll. Most of the "roll aways" that I get or see others do, is that they do not land "flat", they land on one side of the disc or the other. This will work with hard or soft putters. My personal preferance is soft putters, but I do play with friends who throw hard plastic and who use the same style on hill shots and it does work for them as well. My suggestion, try practicing throwing a style to get your disc to land perfectly flat, the hard plastic or soft will be your preferance, but I witness more soft plastic "sticking" than hard!

as was said like 5 times previously

blowfly

my blowfly has never rolled on me. it just flops to the ground.

also, i can throw a blowfly farther than any other disc jump putting. for some reason, i can get the gummy rubber to stick and rip out of my hand.

i don't see the blowfly ever leaving my bag because some of the courses in my area have baskets on hills that are just to dangerous to missed putts/roll aways.

I use a soft Rhyno for this shot but you have to be VERY careful with Rhynos. Once they start rolling they do not stop.

Then I'll go back to playing at Napa again.....Damn Napa rollers!

I love that course and practice the "shoot for a bush technique," if there is no way to make sure I am coming in slightly nose up/ level to stop a 200ft roll.

I shanked a drive on hb 2 today and threw the piss out of my champ eagle right at the hole w hyzer about 170 feet.

2 foot toss it for par.

I shanked a drive on hb 2 today and threw the piss out of my champ eagle right at the hole w hyzer about 170 feet.

2 foot toss it for par.

I play HB but haven't played the new hole2. So you're saying you can see the basket from the tee? Cuz I was thinking that it might have been around the bend a little and/or blocked by the bushes on the bank. Either case, I can't wait to get back there. At least I'll be mentally prepared and definitely won't tell my buddies about it. And if they get a roller I'll be laughing my @$$ off thinking about this thread.:thmbup:

I love that course and practice the "shoot for a bush technique," if there is no way to make sure I am coming in slightly nose up/ level to stop a 200ft roll.
Ya, nothing like seeing your disc land about 10ft away from the basket and then roll a few hundred feet down the hill! Very fun and frustrating course.

I play HB but haven't played the new hole2. So you're saying you can see the basket from the tee? Cuz I was thinking that it might have been around the bend a little and/or blocked by the bushes on the bank. Either case, I can't wait to get back there. At least I'll be mentally prepared and definitely won't tell my buddies about it. And if they get a roller I'll be laughing my @$$ off thinking about this thread.:thmbup:

TD there was joking about dreading the first person that hits that basket, gets a 60 foot roll-off and has a dg meltdown on him for moving the hole to the side-hill.