• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Side hill baskets: What disc?

On baskets on a slope like that, I just try to throw as flat as possiable. If it rolls, it rolls, nothing you can do about that.

Im gonna have to echo some of the sentiments of earlier in the thread. You're gonna want to throw with the right angle so that the disc lands parallel to the slope of the land. You're never guaranteed that the disc wont stand up and take off down the hill; but your very best bet of not having this occur will come when your disc comes to a sliding stop, as opposed to a skipping rolling bouncing stop.

Well
So far we have 4 or 5 types suggestions and 4 or 5 rebuttals on why those aren't gonna work :doh:

Throw soft/floppy putters
Throw perp to slope
Throw parallel to slope
Throw flat
Throw disc upside down/scoob
Skip

i guess with terrain being different and every player having a way they are comfortable throwing, i shouldn't have expected a consensus.

But I was hoping for a superior/most common method to be revealed

huh?
side hill?

whatever disc gives you the ability and confidence to run right at the basket.
what's the worst that happens... the disc falls into the hill and gives you an easy putt...

maybe i dont get it.

if you are worried about the disc staying on the ground, use a Rhyno.
:wall:

is this game really as hard as most make it seem?

Here you go:

What about throwing a pancake? Sometimes on these kind of shots I'll throw a Whippet X tomahawk so it flips over and lands upside down and slides. If you can perfect this it's an amazingly accurate shot.

Last edited:
Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno.Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno. Rhyno.

i guess with terrain being different and every player having a way they are comfortable throwing, i shouldn't have expected a consensus.

If everybody played the same type of game, there'd be no one to laugh at the stupid stuff I try to do.

Blowfly.

You may feel silly, you may feel it's a cop out. But when your shot stays under the basket and your friend's rolls 50 feet down a hill you'll be thankfull.

I got mine specifically for hole 18 at Devens after I rolled 75 feet 3 times.

huh?
side hill?

whatever disc gives you the ability and confidence to run right at the basket.
what's the worst that happens... the disc falls into the hill and gives you an easy putt...

maybe i dont get it. :thmbup:

if you are worried about the disc staying on the ground, use a Rhyno.
:wall:

is this game really as hard as most make it seem?

There's a new disc golf champ ^
Just ask him

Again
I am not talking about PUTTING at these I am talking about upshots/approaches

Last edited:
There are two courses around here with baskets on severely steep hills (ironically both are hole # 17). In my experience, I've found that soft putters are the best for this situation. Throw flat, landing at angles is only going to increase the chances of the hill picking it up on edge. I've also noticed that more times than not, its when you hit the basket or chastity belt that causes the death roll. sometimes just playing conservatively and laying up is the best option for holes like this.

Well
So far we have 4 or 5 types suggestions and 4 or 5 rebuttals on why those aren't gonna work :doh:

Throw soft/floppy putters
Throw perp to slope
Throw parallel to slope
Throw flat
Throw disc upside down/scoob
Skip

So it's pratice time! Try them all and see what works best for you. However, once your done practicing. You will find that my way works the best...lol!!!! Just kidding, hope you find something, because once you do let me know. Then I'll go back to playing at Napa again.....Damn Napa rollers!

Oh, I've tried the soft putter thing for a while. Eh, I've had those suckers taco, get up on their side and roll like no other disc out there

the superior most common method is : Dont think about it so much and throw it! trust your throw!

It worked yesterday...twice
But a few roller-o's could result in:

trust_meter.jpg

Flx plastic seems to come to a stop pretty good. I am sure rPro does about the same. Harder discs seem to roll easier. Also, I would be careful about speed when approaching these shots as it could make the disc jump.

On most of these shots, if I am laying up, I would go with an anhyzer approach so the disc can land flat. But if I plan to gut the basket, than I am looking to hit it with a hyzer shot for the best chances of fitting into the basket.

Pic of Hole #16 at HP in Colorado Springs. Think this is a good example for those unsure of what's being discussed. It's always hard packed snow or dirt with no bushes to help and has a nice drop off into a swamp below it. You approach from back and to the left of the photographer.

Attachments

• Sidehill HP #16.jpg
    Sidehill HP #16.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 30