• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm: yay or nay?

How much sidearm do you use in your game?

• None... you don't need it.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Occasional sidearm shots, but wish I was better at it.

Votes: 122 37.0%
  • Frequent sidearm shots, not afraid to use it with confidence.

Votes: 145 43.9%
  • I use more sidearm shots than backhand.

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • I do pretty much everything sidearm besides putting.

Votes: 22 6.7%

• Total voters
MID RANGE SIDE ARM...all players must have this ability, more than an outstanding drive.

get a champion rhyno 175 and a champ gator or zone. for a good understable but fast side arm disc, the ESP avengers SS is a nasty turnover disc with plenty of speed.

MID RANGE SIDE ARM...all players must have this ability, more than an outstanding drive.

Agreed. This technique has saved me par on many a bad drive. In fact, there isn't a single throwing technique that isn't valuable at some time or another. I can get away with a lot strictly RHBH but it doesn't always cut it.

Best FH disc is your best BH disc if you really are mastering the control of a FH shot. Outside of that, it depends on how good (not long) your FH is.

Was working yesterday and got my Ridge out to 175'. I find that a big accomplishment considering I couldnt FH even my mids a few weeks ago. Thank you hammer technique!

Well put.

I've never really worked on cultivating a disc golf forehand. My forehand is 100% from practicing and playing Ultimate...I don't get great distance, but I have good touch from 130 feet in or so.

If you don't have a forehand shot, what are you going to do when you have to stretch six feet to your right (asuming a right handed thrower) to get around an obstacle? Throw a thumber I guess, which is a lower percentage shot.

Learn em both. Practice with your drunken friends in a field somewhere.

I plan on doing the super sekrit drills and hope I end up with at least a weak forehand drive to add to the arsenal.

Anytime I throw a backhand that requires a higher power level, I turn my head away from the 'target area'... I'll throw FH shots if I feel I NEED to keep eye contact. I'll throw fh other times as well, but that is one of the reasons I may choose it over a L/RBH. I can't get nearly as much D as I do BH though... yet.

i throw mostly sidearm and almost always off the tee... i can make it do whatever i want ... with a squirrelly BH at best off the tee it's just where i am at... BH mids and putts though mostly...

Forced-hand is more like it for me. :p

Was out on the practice field for the first time in a while this past Sunday and was pleasantly surprised. My technique is probably horrible, but throwing a big RHFH Flex Shot, I was able to get a few shots out around 280' with a Champ Wraith and DX Destroyer. Not much accuracy, but I rarely use the shot. I'll have to work on it more with such early results.

i throw mostly sidearm and almost always off the tee... i can make it do whatever i want ... with a squirrelly BH at best off the tee it's just where i am at... BH mids and putts though mostly...

I was the same way when I started but I feel like I really get the whole experience throwing both ways. That may sound funny. I'm not saying you need both. I'm just saying I want to throw both.

Started out throwing RHFH because of a blown out right knee from playing racquetball earlier in my life, so it's normal for me. I watched the DC forehand driving video with Mark Ellis and noticed the forehand throw in disc golf is almost the same motion as a racquetball forehand drive shot.

My home course also favors sidearm with a lot of dogleg right holes. Everything went along fine until I started playing other courses which favor RHBH and I got frustrated.

About five months ago, I got a knee brace for the bum leg and started practicing BH throws. The accuracy is finally coming around but I'm still 70-100' short of my FH shots. My backhand averages about 260-280' now with most of them going right up the pipe. I figure if I work on accuracy first, the distance will come as my form improves.

What really helped me the most with my weaker BH was digging out my old retired slower discs which I overpowered as my forehand power increased.

I've had to rearrange the drivers in my bag totally. Now, about a third of my discs are high speed FH drivers, a third slower BH drivers and a third overlap which I use for both FH and BH.

My goal is by the end of the year to be able to throw my backhand accurately over 300' on demand. There's still a lot of work to do but I feel a lot more confident now about my game as I am no longer a one arm bandit.

Now if my right knee will hold together just a little longer!!! That reminds me, I have to go ice it down now. LOL

Woodpecker

instead of a FH shot i've been incorporating a LHBH shot into my arsenal lately. :thmbup: what do you think of that, guys?

first 3 years was nothing but FH for me. Then I realized I was limiting my distance potential and started learning BH. Now I feel equally comfortable with both. A FH skip shot or anny flick out of the woods are indispensable tools to have on a wooded course, IMO

I drive mostly RHFH and can get 400+, but when I need accuracy I definitely go with BH.

How are you sidearm guys more accurate backhand and if so why even bother throwing FH?

My D is about equal now which means the backhand should overcome the sidearm distance any day now but I can hit gaps much better with a FH shot. You never have to turn away from your target like you do with a BH which is why its more accurate (or supposed to be).

How are you sidearm guys more accurate backhand and if so why even bother throwing FH?

My D is about equal now which means the backhand should overcome the sidearm distance any day now but I can hit gaps much better with a FH shot. You never have to turn away from your target like you do with a BH which is why its more accurate (or supposed to be).

It's tricky with a forehand, I'm more accurate with a forehand out to a certain distance, and with certain discs.

Generally straight shots = backhand, but my accuracy as in hitting lines or gaps is the same. Forehand for upshots. Backhand putting and some upshots.

Im more accurate at mid shots with BH. Im accurate at driving FH and suck horribly driving BH (working on it). Its mainly my timing with my steps when trying to drive BH that kills it for me. Im still very new to DG (2 months), so I assume I will work out those issues soon enough.

yay for sidearm

i throw 90% of my drives forehand, because i can throw much much further that way. everything else thats not a huge dogleg right i use a backhand.

Latest posts