• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simplify my mids

banknwank

Eagle Member
I have my stabilities covered well with an assortment of champ an z plastic.........problem is, the different molds all have a very different feel in the grip. I did a mid test on 180 and 220 footers this week end and found my 180 g dx roc to consistently get a better quality, more accurate, flight. So, I am going down the roc cycling road. Same weight and feel with different levels of wear/stability should help create some more consistency . I will keep z wasp in the bag for over stable duty, and it's similar in feel/profile besides the z. I will also keep dx stingray for turnovers till I feel confident in in one of the rocs. I also like the grip and glide of dx and slowly moving back to more dx in the bag. May give cycling some t birds a go as well.

Yep, sounds like you have figured it out. Good call keeping a Z Wasp, it has a similar feel to a Roc and will keep that reliable fade and wind fighting ability for a long time.

Yep, sounds like you have figured it out. Good call keeping a Z Wasp, it has a similar feel to a Roc and will keep that reliable fade and wind fighting ability for a long time.

yes i love the trust worthy fade of my wasp and it holds up well into the wind, and its very similar in profile/grip to the roc.

Could you go with a Star Roc for the OS duties? It should keep it's flight for quite a while...then you'd be sitting on one mold once you have a Roc beat in for to's.

Could you go with a Star Roc for the OS duties? It should keep it's flight for quite a while...then you'd be sitting on one mold once you have a Roc beat in for to's.

i have toyed with idea of a roc 3, now available in dx.. supposed a little more overstable. but i doubt as beffy as my wasp . and i like my wasp anyway. its realy my tweener mold, shark iii, that pushed me over the edge to reworking my mids. the glide of my dx rocs surpasses my other mids by a solid 30 ft, and consistant feel in the grip is my goal. i will prob give roc 3 in dx a chance to boot the wasp, but i dont have to kick it out as i love my wasp. it just doesnt glide out as much. but that is also part of the trade off with overstable. i have heard star plastic glides similar to dx, and of course it will hold its flight longer before beating in.

Last edited:
I also agree that it sounds like you have it figured out, but as just a quick suggestion... If you are not in love with the stingray (I couldn't tell from the original post) you might try a comet for the Anny duties. Has a similar feel to a roc, but no where near the stability.

I also agree that it sounds like you have it figured out, but as just a quick suggestion... If you are not in love with the stingray (I couldn't tell from the original post) you might try a comet for the Anny duties. Has a similar feel to a roc, but no where near the stability.

i recently picked up a comet for my son 168g in z. it was a left over custom club print that was named and spelled the same as my sons name, so i had to buy it for him. of course i had to test it out before i gave it to him, and i wanted to keep it........ brand new in z, it doesnt turn over as easy as my stingray. but i did like the comet , just liked my roc better. I ran the basket within 5 feet several times @ 220 ft in my mid testing with the roc, got the best flights with it consistantly. and not looking to add another mold..... the stingray is good for an easy 250 turn over I and am quite fond of it, but gets away from consistant feel i am looking for (not too bad ). if a roc doesnt beat close to the stingay , it will also have to stay in the bag. now if i can find a 300-350 driver that works to the right as eaily as the ray, i would be content........for a while. i plan on spending quality time with my mids this spring and reaching into the 300 mark with them. hopefully it will all translate to driver game by mid summer.

i have toyed with idea of a roc 3, now available in dx.. supposed a little more overstable. but i doubt as beffy as my wasp . and i like my wasp anyway. its realy my tweener mold, shark iii, that pushed me over the edge to reworking my mids. the glide of my dx rocs surpasses my other mids by a solid 30 ft, and consistant feel in the grip is my goal. i will prob give roc 3 in dx a chance to boot the wasp, but i dont have to kick it out as i love my wasp. it just doesnt glide out as much. but that is also part of the trade off with overstable. i have heard star plastic glides similar to dx, and of course it will hold its flight longer before beating in.
I am currently throwing DX ranchos with a glow roc3 for a bit more beef. I got a couple of max wt DX roc3's from our icebowl a month ago and can safely say that they are not more OS than a new rancho nor near as wind resistant as my glow/champ roc3s (which I assume are similar to your wasp) They are however quite nice, really glidy and good feel in the hand.

As far as Comets go, my vote would be for the X Comet. Go anywhere you want it to and very similar to the Roc. Oddly enough, I like how a Comet feels, but the Roc has never felt quite the same when holding it in a store. Could be I just love the X plastic :)

been spending some quality time in the field with my mids, and searching for a reliable turn over fairway.... my 180 roc holds up to my max power into the wind, so it will give the wasp the boot.:( i love my wasp, but just doesnt glide as well as my roc. my 170 roc will be giving the mako and shark 3 the boot. never fell for shark 3 and a little over lap with it anyway. have a lighter dx roc in 163 on the way to try and boot the stingray.......hoping to replace 4 molds with one. thats pretty impressive and speaks for the roc. not sure if i will be able to replace stingray or not and i dont have to replace it. but would complete my mids with one mold.these rocs have a hanicap parking permit from about 270 for me.:thmbup:

Was excited to put my mids to the test on the course today, but didn't get to throw them a bunch as the wind was howling. Found myself reaching for my beefy champ t bird, and wishing I had my firebird........ I did tee off with my stingray once.......and I got my first ace! :clap: nice turn over for around 300 I've been bucking all week at the park and chains. Had caught up to group in front of me and had some witnesses .:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 22
On the subject of my new mid set up........I bought a lighter roc and x comet to experiment with them for the turn over part of my mids. Wind was ugly today, and didn't get to play them much. The x comet glides really nice and straight down wind. I have to admit, I like the comet. Least effort for a nice straight flight. I feel more accurate with it as I Can concentrate on placement and still get a reasonable flight. I didn't like my lighter roc in first tests yesterday. Still loving my 180 n 170 rocs. Parked the 180 into gage wind around 250 a few times. 170 is starting to turn over into the wind and starting to get straight in mild conditions. I flattened the top on the lighter roc and now it is almost identical to the comet, in profile and flight. I definitely like flat tops better. Lighter roc will turn over, but doesn't carry as far as my sting ray does. Plus,I can't boot the stingray now.

On the subject of my new mid set up........I bought a lighter roc and x comet to experiment with them for the turn over part of my mids. Wind was ugly today, and didn't get to play them much. The x comet glides really nice and straight down wind. I have to admit, I like the comet. Least effort for a nice straight flight. I feel more accurate with it as I Can concentrate on placement and still get a reasonable flight. I didn't like my lighter roc in first tests yesterday. Still loving my 180 n 170 rocs. Parked the 180 into gage wind around 250 a few times. 170 is starting to turn over into the wind and starting to get straight in mild conditions. I flattened the top on the lighter roc and now it is almost identical to the comet, in profile and flight. I definitely like flat tops better. Lighter roc will turn over, but doesn't carry as far as my sting ray does. Plus,I can't boot the stingray now.

The X Comet is a great disc! It can hold a straight line or it can be turned over really easy for a nice anny mid line.

I haven't managed to keep a Roc long enough to truly season it. From o/s to u/s, I bag:
Star Rancho
Fresh DX
8/10 DX
7/10 KC Pro
Z Comet
X Comet
The Comets don't turn quite like the Stingrays do, but once you get the feel for Rocs, they make a lot more sense (plus the added bonus of helping clean up your form).

I have have cheated , a bit , on my dx rocs. As far as cycling gos, they are not cycled.......just lighter weights. Hopefully, by the time the lightest gets too flippy, the next higher weight will be ready to move into that position. And so on..... Till I have same weight rocs in different stability . I have flattened the tops with heat. (They are faster). I have sanded the bead on the 170 to get it closer to straight stable. And, I have scuffed the top , outer edge, with heavy grit to replicate some beat/age. Surprisingly, the scuffing on the top had a noticeable effect on stability.( more under stable). I almost feel like I could tune a roc to replace a lost disc at this point. Yah yah.....it's not a legal disc . If I had thrown it against the wall 50 times, Skipped it off the parking lot 20 times, and thrown it on 2000 spike hyzers......it would be legal. Still loving my move to the roc.

I have my stabilities covered well with an assortment of champ an z plastic.........problem is, the different molds all have a very different feel in the grip. I did a mid test on 180 and 220 footers this week end and found my 180 g dx roc to consistently get a better quality, more accurate, flight. So, I am going down the roc cycling road. Same weight and feel with different levels of wear/stability should help create some more consistency . I will keep z wasp in the bag for over stable duty, and it's similar in feel/profile besides the z. I will also keep dx stingray for turnovers till I feel confident in in one of the rocs. I also like the grip and glide of dx and slowly moving back to more dx in the bag. May give cycling some t birds a go as well.

A new KC Pro Roc should be similar to your wasp.

O Lighter roc will turn over, but doesn't carry as far as my sting ray does. Plus,I can't boot the stingray now.

I doubt any of your Rocs will out range a Stingray since the latter was technically a driver back in the day. Understable discs with similar hand-feel as a Roc would be Comets (aforementioned), Ontario Rocs (tend to be domey), Ghost maybe in certain plastics, Cobra (a bit lower profile, kind of like if the Stingray and Roc had a baby) and Flying Squirrel (like a beadless Comet). Warship is like a faster, seasoned Roc.

my 180 roc is a kc, and its close to the wasp. ( it was a tourney stamp so wasnt sure at first, but has the kc next to the weight )wasp only a touch more fade but very close in hss. so my beloved wasp has left the bag:( i already went down the comet road while breaking in the 170 roc. almost got a 200 ace with 170 roc on sunday , its just a touch more overstable than x comet at this point. not sure if the lighter roc in low 160g is staying. its more like a 200-250 turnover vs the 250-300 stingray. and its a touch overstable on up shots. so it may have a place , but not my favorite on first impressions. happy with mids at this point. have thought about cobra, but gets away from mold reduction and has to overlap with something ive got now.

Last edited:
More mid fun

It's been about a month that I have been working on my mids. And I have had a lot of fun with it. I am actually practicing my dg? I haven't practiced anything for a while....... Starting to get control of things at the field, but getting things just right, on one throw, on the course is another story.

I did get my first ace with my stingray last weekend. Partially due to all the work, but luck is always part of an ace. I did know exactly what disc and what throw I was going with from all the field work. I almost got a second ace a day later with my 170 roc. Hit the basket about 3 in low.

More specifically , I am still spending time on getting my roc cycle going. My 170 is getting straighter and straighter. A few hundred throws in the field is building my snap and some artificial wear has got it there quick. I thinking of retiring the 170 to game day use only as it's in a good place right now. Once it starts turning over, I will add a new one to the mix and cycle will begin. I found 2 things to speed up T break in. After a few trips to the field I would sand the dingers out or the bead. ( maybe 1/3 of the bead at this point) . A also scuffed the top of the wing and leading edge with a drywall sponge/sanding block to simulate a little wear. It's has straightened out in less than a month and has lost a lot of its low speed fade. It holds anny line all the way now and won't flex out, but still needs a big snap to get it to turn over.

Latest posts