• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Skip disc compareable to Firebird!

WestTNDiscGolf

Bogey Member
As the title says i'm looking for a disc that skips similar to a FB, but possibly a mid range thats a little slower. Thanks for the advice!

Trident might be your best bet. Might not be shorter depending on your FB though. Viper would be good too.

And how could I forget the Whippet. Whippet is more driver like small diameter, while Vipers are larger and mid like. Trident is larger also.

I have a star whippet that I cant groove with, its too domey or something. Same with all gators I've had, too much dome. I do hear that there are a few flat runs of gators

Zone always has that little baby hop. I need something that's going to have the huge flare up that the FB does. Maybe that type of skip is exclusive to drivers?

Zone always has that little baby hop. I need something that's going to have the huge flare up that the FB does. Maybe that type of skip is exclusive to drivers?

You won't get that skip unless your looking at something higher speed. That big flare up skip isn't going to happen with a mid. I would also recommend the Trident. Not sure what your arm speed is... And of course there is the DD Felon that has been all the craze, describing it like a comfortable FAF Firebird.

You won't get that skip unless your looking at something higher speed. That big flare up skip isn't going to happen with a mid. I would also recommend the Trident. Not sure what your arm speed is... And of course there is the DD Felon that has been all the craze, describing it like a comfortable FAF Firebird.

It is possible to get the skip from a mid, just a lot easier to get it from a driver.

I'm not sure what you're throwing, but if I put any hyzer (and sometimes when I don't) on my CZ Zone, that bad boy skips a long way.

I had a cryztal zone for a long time, it always seemed to give the same 2ft little hop and sit but that just may have been that disc. For this shot now I'm just powering down a firebird.

do you mean those semi sideways skips that give you 10-50ft more distance?

brinster teebird
champ roc3

I was taught by the local grand master (who uses rollers and *skips a ton) its all about how you finish your throw.. you kind of splash your hand open during follow though and you can skip any disc spectacularly.

*my favorite shots I've seen him do are skip shots thrown hard in-between trees to get out of jail. he can even do skip escape shots that turnover with beat in valkyries where he skips it less than 20ft away in between tight trees and it'll jump up start flying again and do a anny/turnover flight for another 100-150ft right back into the fairway to save par or even park it.

I love the Viper but it doesn't skip much, the ones I throw skid a bit but mostly stick. I love the Trident and the Opto seems to skip a bit more lively.

Latest posts