• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Smaller Disc Golf Companies

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys,

Like many of you I throw a lot of Innova discs as well as other bigger companies like Gateway or Discraft. I have a few discs by others I throw like Prodigy, Westside, even a couple Lightning discs I got for next to nothing.

But I am of the belief that sometimes a small passionate can create something great and that it should be supported if possible.

Of the smaller/newer company's who is making the best plastic? Are there any must have discs outside of the major players?

I've seen some positive reviews on UB, Daredevil, Yikun and a few others. Who do you like and why?

I like ABC's plastic a lot. I've only thrown their Flying Squirrel though and it didn't gel with me.

Daredevil - Timberwolf, Swift Fox
ABC Discs - Flying Squirrel,
Vibram - Ibex, Trak

Imo

I would have said "Legacy" but they're not so small anymore. Still an awesome company :thmbup:

Legacy..there, your whole bag is set. :)

I'll second the Daredevil recommendation. I have the Wolverine. Nice stable-to-overstable fairway driver. And killer stamps!

I personally love Vibram. Not only do they produce amazing discs (only rubber discs on the market) with a longer lifetime than plastic, but they also do more to support the pro tour than any other company out there. Vibram has been the presenting sponsor of the PDGA Pro Tour for the last 3 years I believe. That is something quite amazing considering how small their markets hare is compared to Innova and Discraft. Furthermore, the head of Vibram Disc Golf, Steve Dodge, is fairly active on these forums in the Vibram Disc Golf thread, which allows for reliable information on new releases and other activities with Vibram Disc Golf in a fairly short time frame.

My personal favorites of the Vibram line-up are the Lace, Ibex, and Sole. Below is my own personal description of each.

Lace - This is basically a more controllable Nuke in my experience. It is also rated as the furthest flying disc on the market by inbounds disc golf.

Ibex - This is a mid that I like to describe as what you would get if a Buzzz and a Comet had a baby. It has enough stabilty to handle good amounts of power, but also has great glide and powers down nicely. The cool thing about this disc is that it pretty much just gains glide as it beats in and loses low speed fade.

Sole - This is Vibram's traditional shaped putter. It has the stability of a Challenger or Wizard, but feels more like a Magnet in the hand. It has great glide as well.

My vote would go to either Dynamic Discs or Vibram. Both companies in my opinion support disc golf more than any other companies. Both are relatively small companies and both their fair share of supporting the game.

Deity discs, just met Barsby last weekend and he showed me their new plastic, it looks nice. Check it out. Small company, but should make a splash with high quality plastic.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 31
where are you seeing that? sorting by distance here shows that there are 6 discs that fly farther according to Inbounds - with the Cannon and Rampage being the longest: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

The Lace was the longest disc for quite some time until we refined our algorithm in February. It's still in the upper percentiles for distance potential, but since the recalculation, there are a few other discs that now hold the top spot for distance potential.

ABC has the Flying Squirrel and the Secret Weapon (both understables) that are both pretty great. I continue to bag the Squirrel and prefer it to the Meteor/Fuse that seem to dominate the understable mid category. The Secret Weapon was really nice, but it didn't stand a chance against the Legacy Patriot. I've heard the BeeLine is a great max distance driver, but I haven't thrown one.

I would also recommend Legacy. They're exploding in popularity right now, but they have a great core of discs and adding more regularly.

Another ABC disc i'd recommend trying is the Mission, especially if you're a Roc fan. Good plastic very similar feel and flights.

Just a thought:

In the grand scheme of life and business, Innova IS the little guy (still). Is it the smallest company in dg? Absolutely not.

Is Innova Evil Empire some huge corporation? Likewise, absolutely not.

Dave Dunipace and Innova ARE the American Dream.

Just keep that in mind before you seek out the smallest companies just because they're small. :)

Another ABC disc i'd recommend trying is the Mission, especially if you're a Roc fan. Good plastic very similar feel and flights.

Hmmmm so would it be like a cheaper usdgc roc?

Also want to add that the Money is a nice deep beadless putter. Quite overstable for being beadless and feeling like a taller DM P2.

I would have said "Legacy" but they're not so small anymore. Still an awesome company :thmbup:

Yeah its kinda like MVP at this point there are much smaller companies hardly even on the DG radar let alone the world of DGCR'

My vote is for the Rico's and Richardson's still like you said! :hfive:

Latest posts