• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Smoke the chains with a Roach

Anybody have any firsthand experience with the TDTM OG Glo Roaches or the Bro-D Rubber Blend? I'm interested, but neither seems readily available.

Anybody have any firsthand experience with the TDTM OG Glo Roaches or the Bro-D Rubber Blend? I'm interested, but neither seems readily available.

I think those glo Roaches are long gone and the Bro-D come in some kinda Bro-D 3 disc pack. No thanks Bro.

I heard on here that the glows were reportedly just like regular JB. Not too much difference.

I heard on here that the glows were reportedly just like regular JB. Not too much difference.

A seller on eBay had one & told me it was just like regular JB. Plus they look awful so there's that.

The Bro-D is supposed to be just like the Luna blend? I'm good with regular JB.

I totally agree with this. Big Roach fan and I was really excited to get my hands on a few crystal sparkle ones and they are all incredibly hard and slippery. They're fun to throw on a field for practice when scores don't matter but I just can't trust them enough to bag them. It's a shame really. I have a 5x crystal McB Luna and it's tackier than the crystal Roaches by a significant margin.

Any kind of Z including CryZtal tends to grip up over time, with most of them. There are a few exceptions in the plastic and those are ones that tend to sweat in the hot temps over 90-100 F depending on how much water the disc ended taking in during the mold making and/or drying process.

Tip the more finger prints Z gets the more grip it usually gets.

Last edited:
Any kind of Z including CryZtal tends to grip up over time, with most of them. There are a few exceptions in the plastic and those are ones that tend to sweat in the hot temps over 90-100 F depending on how much water the disc ended taking in during the mold making and/or drying process.

Tip the more finger prints Z gets the more grip it usually gets.

Interesting. I bag a Big Z Roach and its grip has been great from the start just like the 5x. The Cryztal Sparkle ones I have are incredibly slick and have a very firm/hard texture to them. One lives in a bag on the shelf and the other get regular use on my indoor basket and it's as slick as the day I bought it, maybe even more so. I really wish it would tack up a bit because it's a beautiful disc.

Interesting. I bag a Big Z Roach and its grip has been great from the start just like the 5x. The Cryztal Sparkle ones I have are incredibly slick and have a very firm/hard texture to them. One lives in a bag on the shelf and the other get regular use on my indoor basket and it's as slick as the day I bought it, maybe even more so. I really wish it would tack up a bit because it's a beautiful disc.

CryZtal Z takes longer to grip up right it seems then Z. At least that was how it was for most of the very clear stiff Z that is as almost as translucent and as stiff as CryZtal plastic.

Last edited:

Big Z is a different plastic not comparable to Z or CryZtal both types of Z, with CryZtal more like the Metal Flake/Luster Champion Equivalent. Big Z is more its own thing, yet to find a plastic from a company that is a mix of the brands Clear Z and ESP/Star like plastic.

Not that anyone asked, but I thought I would write a quick comparison post about the Pro-D Roach and the Gateway Voodoo. I fell out of the game for about two years (the post grad school depression is real, ya'll), and have since picked it back up and now I'm addicted again. Huzzah!

At the beginning of this season, my old putters from a few years ago didn't quite click with me, so I went back to my roots from a longer time ago and picked up a pair of Voodoos in their organic plastic (a rubber blend, for those who don't know). I like them because of their straight flight while putting, but the main reason I went with these is because they have a little less glide than other putters. I needed to force myself to commit to putts, so having less glide made me put more on it. It was actually a very successful switch and my putting got a lot better.

Fast forward to recently- I was finding that my putts a lot of times would drop a little too quickly and I would be hitting the front rim more often. This was especially evident from outside the circle. I've always been interested in the Roach but never tried one so I figured this might be the perfect time to check them out. After a bunch of putts back to back inside and outside the circle, I've noticed a few things.

1. Feel. Maybe it's just the Voodoos I got, but they're almost a little pointed. I love the sleek profile (not quite Chief/Ringer/Breaker shallow, but not quite a Challenger), but the Roach just felt more rounded and comfortable in my hand. While the micro bead on the Voodoo isn't that noticeable- or so I thought- it made a difference in grip.

2. Plastic/availability/price. The pros of going with Gateway putters is that they offer really great quality baseline plastics in arguably too many stiffnesses, allowing the player to really dial in their preference. While this is great in a lot of ways, finding the right feel can be daunting, as most people don't have access to hundreds of Gateway putters they can feel in person (this certainly isn't a dig at Gateway, I love their plastic a lot, actually. But it's definitely a factor). You can also usually find their putters for between $10-13, which I think is a fair price for the quality. Roaches are everywhere and readily available for between $7-9 depending on where you shop. One thing that I look for in baseline plastic is a soft feel with a more rigid structure (CT plastic is really slick, but rigid. Soft X plastic is soft, and floppy. For example). The pro-D plastic is soft to the touch and grippy, but doesn't melt in the heat. While I prefer the Gateway orgo and eraser plastic, it doesn't outweigh the price and availability factors.

3. Flight. Disclaimer- I'm only putting with these two, so that's my reference. Though the results are similar when thrown. Out to about 40', I don't notice that much of a difference. I might hit a little lower in the chains with the Voodoo, but I could still comfortably putt both. Backing up to 50, 60, 80ft when I'm jump putting, that's where I REALLY noticed the difference. Where the Voodoo would drop out of the air sooner and hook to the left (RHBH), the Roach, with the little extra bit of glide, would carry closer to the chains and penetrate forward instead of dump out left. I feel like when released with the exact same amount of hyzer, the Roach would almost flip up a little bit giving it a straighter trajectory. This is what I was hoping for, and I was really excited to figure this out after seeing how similar the two molds were from inside the circle.

If you've made it this far, you get a cookie, good job. I didn't mean for this to be a rant, but like I'm known to do in real life, this turned into a bit of a rant. Hopefully at least one person finds this helpful or even entertaining. Cheers! :hfive:

TL;DR- The pro-D Roach and Gateway Organic Voodoo are very similar molds. I chose the Roach because it's easier to find, cheaper cost, feels a bit more comfortable in my hand, and has a little extra glide for outside the circle putts.

Big Z Roach has changed my game as an 860 player.

Virtually any shot 260 and under I first consider if I can throw a roach. With a bit of snap, it flips up and glides straight with a tiny finish. Hyzer or anhyzer on moderate power it holds the line to the ground. Can handle moderate headwinds. After 4 months heavy use throwing the flight characteristics are basically unchanged.

I also putt with Big Z, which grips up well and is amazing in hot temperatures. Where I live it is above 30° every day year round and I don't face issues with sweaty hands / slippery discs. Rain would be something else.

I'd love if they ran Roaches in CT plastic. I like the new putter line plastic in the cold, but I can tell they'll become too soft when it starts to heat up.

I finally got myself a Bro-D Roach & played 18 with it alongside my JB's. I'm pretty sure I'm switching up to the rubber blend. It worked with my pitch putt a lot better than the JB's. The Bro-D is a touch more stable and doesn't give me that wobble out of the hand that the JB does. Now I can commit to the pitch & dial it in.

I've recently switched back to the roach both for putting and throwing. Putting I only had x soft for the time being (sold my pro d's). I have been up to this point putting with kc aviars. What made me switch was how hard I had to putt the kcs and when I miss I was blowing past the basket. So I had the soft roaches in storage and decided to give them a try on my practice basket in the back yard. Instantly making more putts with less effort. So I put them back in the bag. After two rounds putting is a bit better but the soft roaches are a bit too soft from what I'm use to. Bought two of the new putter line roaches today to combat that. I will still have a soft roach for short throws and jump putts like I had in the past. Biggest difference has been with bagging the big z roach. Nice throwing putter with fade but not as much fade as my zones. Plus I aced today with the big z on a 266' slight down hill hole. Roaches are here to stay.

I've recently switched back to the roach both for putting and throwing. Putting I only had x soft for the time being (sold my pro d's). I have been up to this point putting with kc aviars. What made me switch was how hard I had to putt the kcs and when I miss I was blowing past the basket. So I had the soft roaches in storage and decided to give them a try on my practice basket in the back yard. Instantly making more putts with less effort. So I put them back in the bag. After two rounds putting is a bit better but the soft roaches are a bit too soft from what I'm use to. Bought two of the new putter line roaches today to combat that. I will still have a soft roach for short throws and jump putts like I had in the past. Biggest difference has been with bagging the big z roach. Nice throwing putter with fade but not as much fade as my zones. Plus I aced today with the big z on a 266' slight down hill hole. Roaches are here to stay.

Everyone sleeps on the Big Z Roach now that your series and Big Z Lunas are more common. Boggles my mind honestly.

The new stamp for the big z roach is better than it was, I wasn't a fan of the roach smoking a roach stamps. I really like the big z roach and the titanium roach for off the tee shots.
The new putter line roaches are nice for putting, the stamps are nice and simple.

The new stamp for the big z roach is better than it was, I wasn't a fan of the roach smoking a roach stamps. I really like the big z roach and the titanium roach for off the tee shots.
The new putter line roaches are nice for putting, the stamps are nice and simple.

I like the older stamp. I don't mind the new one. I'll wipe it if I buy another. I'd like to see regular production esp in solid colors over big z.

X soft Roach is money for those dead straight woods shots up to 250'. Great complement to my big z roach.

Latest posts