• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

The snake I described in the first post was about 2-1/2 long and was a little bigger around than a garden hose. He was brownish/blackish with no real noticable markings. Most of is body was under water in the shade so he was tough to see. I got out of there too quick to pay attention to head shape. Any ideas on what kind it might have been?

One of the first few times my friends and I went throwing we went to Camenisch Park http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=870 which the back portion of can get a little overgrown. We were teeing off on hole eight I believe and we heard this rustling in some of the dead grass behind us so we turned and saw a snake eating a field mouse. It was amazing to see that sort of thing out in the "wild" we sat and watched for a little while than continued our game, but everytime we play that hole I remember that snake.

if they are coiled they can jump and then dart super quick. at least the ones i have seen in central florida where i used to live. it scares the crap out of you the first time you see it happen.

I guess we must have scared it, because all I know is we saw something dart across the path in front of us, and shoot up a small tree, look at us, and then jump to another tree and take off. That is one of the reasons I will not play that course alone.

Another time I was walking from 15 to 16 and was stopped in my tracks by a Copperhead coming right at me. Scared the crap out of me.

this past weekend i was playing a virgin course in that i mean it was the first day it was open to invitation only. i threw my midrange in the bush and went in to get it back. when i got to the point where i could see the disc there was a rattlesnake there letting me know to i needed top leave. i said to the snake guess what you can keep it just invite your friends out to play. i called the rest of my group over and told them what was up and said hey just be ready to use the radio if i need you to. then i darted as fast as i could away. this new course is set in the most rugged terrain i have ever played. for those of you who have played Stafford lake in Novato, this course makes that course seem like a cake walk. the hike for the course was over 6 miles.

We'll I was playing handicaps the other day and a couple guys threw there discs in the pond. One guy it just about to go in and fish everyone's discs out when his buddy says "WOAH! Snake!"
3485974229_620cc46018.jpg

So instead of going in we decide to send the Golden Retriever in after the disc... Not a real one, although she would have chased the snake away for sure.

All this time we thought it was a moccasin and would be sure to tell everyone who went into the lake as soon as the got into the middle of it! :)but it seems that it was just a harmless brown water snake. I am pretty sure there is still a moccasin in there but it lives on the other side, it's about twice as fat as this guy.

PS most water snakes are brown water snakes, especially in FLA. The ones you need to watch out for are the Moccasins. They are usually solid black and will actually chase you, they're very aggressive. They are also very poisonous and will hang from trees around water. I'm not a snake expert but I do a lot of canoeing and kayaking so I've learned a bit over the years.

The snake I described in the first post was about 2-1/2 long and was a little bigger around than a garden hose. He was brownish/blackish with no real noticable markings. Most of is body was under water in the shade so he was tough to see. I got out of there too quick to pay attention to head shape. Any ideas on what kind it might have been?

Take a look here and see if you recognize him. I'm betting on Black Rat Snake, as they're pretty much the most common snake in disturbed, semi-developed habitats in North Georgia. Possibly a Brown Snake, since they also tend to like developed areas more than other snakes, though yours sounds like he was too big to be a Brown Snake. It could also have been a Queen Snake, given that you saw it in the water.

My son and I saw a 4 ft Eastern Kingsnake between the black and blue tee boxes at East Roswell Park last Saturday afternoon, just casually making his way back into the brush.

On our (private) course we have a basket only a few feet from a creek. In the week before a tournament, a copperhead-looking snake took up residence in that creek. Brownish-red hourglass bands, broad head, etc., and we're in an area where people have been bitten by copperheads.

So my brother stakes out the hole with a shotgun and takes him out.

And once we can get a hold of him and get a close look....it's not a copperhead but a northern water snake. Very similar, band pattern is slightly different, but harmless. And a shame we killed him.

Most snakes you meet are harmless, or even beneficial. Rat snakes can be mistaken for water moccasins, king snakes for coral snakes. Black racers are so fast they're gone before you can guess at what they were.

Usually the biggest danger is the ligament damage you may do leaping out of the way at first sight.

A common mistake is killing a king snake, thinking it is a copperhead. King snakes eat other snakes, including the poisonous kinds. A mountain king snake from SW Texas/northern Mexico is one of the prettiest snakes you'll ever see.

Those are called "Bananna Spiders" and they are all over my home course , River Grove Park in Kingwood, TX . And I mean, you see them every 25 feet in the summer time. They used to scare the s**t out of me, but after seeing some huge snakes at the course, I like the spiders, because they don't bother you as long as you don't bother them. I have heard they do bite if they get pissed, but I have neven been bit.
I hate to burst your bubble(or do i;):confused: but those are not banana spiders, those giant yellow spiders are called banana spiders by most of us in texas me included until i looked it up and found out those spiders are not the poisonous banana spider but actually a non-poisonous spider we just call banana spiders for obvious reasons.

Dont get me wrong those things are scary as shi* and ive almost crapped myself numerous time after coming inches from having them in my face but they arent the one you need to worry about , those cute little furry brown ones are the ones you need to look out for especialy at some of the dryer wooded courses.

Isn't 6-7' absolute max for a water moccasin? I can't image they can move that fast on land because they are fairly fat and short like most vipers. I'm sure they can swim fast though. They can strike very fast too.

I picked up a baby copperhead when I was young at my neighbors house. I thought it was a garter snake, so I picked it up, then I took a closer look and realized it was a copperhead and dropped it. It then bit my shoe and ran off as did I.

I encountered a 2' garter snake about a month ago at Patapsco hole 15. My approach shot landed next to the basket, went to pick it up and the snake ran off right next to my disc. I was shocked to see a snake out so early and it was maybe 50 degrees out.

Story #1 - My uncle was fishing at night by himself and was bitten in the calf by a cotton mouth water moccasin. After a week in the hospital they amputated his left leg. A week after that they amputated his right leg. Two days later he was dead. It was from gangrene. Cotton mouths are very aggressive and are one of the few snakes that will chase you. That's how it got him in the calf.

Story #2 - My friend was noodling for catfish in the river and found an underwater cave. He went up inside it to check it out. It was a den of copperheads. After being bitten by more than 20 different snakes he died before he could swim back to the other side of the river.

Needless to say I don't like snakes.

Story #1 - My uncle was fishing at night by himself and was bitten in the calf by a cotton mouth water moccasin. After a week in the hospital they amputated his left leg. A week after that they amputated his right leg. Two days later he was dead. It was from gangrene. Cotton mouths are very aggressive and are one of the few snakes that will chase you. That's how it got him in the calf.

Story #2 - My friend was noodling for catfish in the river and found an underwater cave. He went up inside it to check it out. It was a den of copperheads. After being bitten by more than 20 different snakes he died before he could swim back to the other side of the river.

WTF MAN! Both those stories are horrible!!!! Im sorry to hear that...where was this at so I know to NEVER fish/swim in that area...wow that is a scary thing to die by a poisonous snake....

You guys have never seen that movie where the kid jumps into a dark swimming hole and never comes out, turns out it was full of moccasins. I think it happens quite often. :| It's tough trying to figure out if a snake is poisonous or not. If you're not very familar with it keep away! :| We had a pet scarlet king snake for a while and it really help identify the coral snakes because they are exact opposites.
Also since this topic is about snakes and no one has brought up rattle snakes...
Big ones will bite you and most of the time not inject you with venom. It's the little ones you need to watch out for, they don't know how to control their venom so usually will inject you will all of it ruining your day/life.