• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow Throwin'

It hangs like a kite tail, but when it lands in a snow bank...it may wind up leaving just a few inches of string exposed.

I tried this today, and it works just like you said. Doesn't seem to affect the flight of the disc, either. Thanks trifocal.

I played 36 holes in the snow yesterday and it was loads of fun. The snow was only about 1-2 inches; you could still see grass sticking through in most areas. It had slightly sleeted (say that 5 times fast) on top of the snow so it was a crunchy snow. You could slide a disc upside down on the snow for 60-70 feet. We didn't have too many problems finding discs, there was one instance however where we looked for a disc for about 20 minutes. The angle that it hit the ground was so that it broke through the top layer and slid under so that it was not visible.

One of the cool things was that whenever a disc would land on an edge and then bounce and normally roll, it would stand in place and do sort of a burn out. It would just stand straight up on the edge and in one spot, spin.

I try going disc golfing everyday in the winter here in minnesota when it is around 15 degrees+ The way to not lose a disc, is to have a spotter up ahead of you to see where the disc slices in the snow. The other day I had a forehand shot and it skipped right off the ice that was on grass that led me to get par. If it weren't for the ice it would have been a bogey

I try going disc golfing everyday in the winter here in minnesota when it is around 15 degrees+ The way to not lose a disc, is to have a spotter up ahead of you to see where the disc slices in the snow. The other day I had a forehand shot and it skipped right off the ice that was on grass that led me to get par. If it weren't for the ice it would have been a bogey

I too try to play every day here in Minny... Have only played once so far this week because of the extreme cold... Here in Hastings we have a good foot of snow, and you need to pay attention to each disc... I have found that in the snow it is a lot like ball golf... After your shot, line up with a tree or some object and just walk towards it... Do this and you really shouldn't have a hard time finding the disc... I hope it warms up a little soon, I really want to get back out and throw the discs!!!

Didn't read the whole thread, but you really need to pay attention to the tees!!! They could have ice on em, and I have seen more than one DGer bite it so far this winter...

no snow here yet but when it comes I'll be out there too!
Use bright colored discs, not white ones!

I've been playing in 1-2 feet of snow for a few weeks now, and only had one incident where I couldn't find my disc (it was 10 minutes shy of darkness and I had to leave the park...disc was returned though :))

As long as it doesn't land in a big mess of fresh tracks, the gouge made by the disc as it goes under the snow is pretty easy to find. I also try to use hot pink whenever possible, as it kind of glows out of the divot if any part of the disc is exposed.

We shoveled snow off the tees(1-2 inches) the other day and they were still a bit slippery. This really made me hold back on some of my drives, I didn't want to do a faceplant. I thought about putting salt down, but I thought that'd be overkill.

We shoveled snow off the tees(1-2 inches) the other day and they were still a bit slippery. This really made me hold back on some of my drives, I didn't want to do a faceplant. I thought about putting salt down, but I thought that'd be overkill.

Last Friday I went out, bought a "SLED"(actually it was the top to a large tupperware container) grabbed 100 pounds of Ice Melt, and went to each tee and coated them so they were ready the next morning... NEVER OVERKILL!!!

The tape method affects the flight of the disc, thous I choose not to do it. The best method I've used is this. Rub a little snow on the top of your disc(to get it damp) then pour powdered koolaid on it. When the disc hits the snow it leaves an obvious color trail. Very easy to find. I've used this method in 2-3 feet of fresh powder never lost a disc. Plus you can lick your fingers and it tastes good.

The tape method affects the flight of the disc, thous I choose not to do it. The best method I've used is this. Rub a little snow on the top of your disc(to get it damp) then pour powdered koolaid on it. When the disc hits the snow it leaves an obvious color trail. Very easy to find. I've used this method in 2-3 feet of fresh powder never lost a disc. Plus you can lick your fingers and it tastes good.

Sweet! I'm a bit dubious, though.

Got a brand new champ 175 T-bird the other day and couldn't help but to try it out in the dusk and snow. After nine and in minimal light, she cracked a limb and I have no idea where to. Went back the next day in light, but to no avail. Luckily, I live two minutes from the course and will be the first one out in a thaw.

I just saw a quick thing about snow dging on the weather channel here in VA about 8:30 pm. They were talking about playing somewhere in Minnesota I think.

Wow, Im curious to how good this would work. Also nervous of how numb my fingers would be from rubbing snow on my disc oever and over.

Snow is gone, I probably played 8-10 rounds in the snow and lost one. I didn't get back to the course after the thaw to retreive it. I know discflinger found his two that he lost.

Still got my putter in a pond that I'm waiting to thaw. Oh, and I seemed to add one to the list on Thursday. Hhhhmmmm, I wonder where that was?:rolleyes:

i am still waiting for a course in MA to have the snow melt as i have two lost there and the pond on a course in Jersey as i have two more in there. god i hate losing my discs.

the disc I lost in the fairway in the snow is now on a very flooded fairway from all the rain. I wonder if it is still there or someone picked it up after the thaw and before the flood.

Weve been getting lucky, temps have been in the 60's and 70's most of the week.

Latest posts