• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow Throwin'

have you guys tried the reusable hand warmers. not the ones you throw away after one use. The ones that have a fuel stick inside. My girlfriend uses it on not so cold days and i am gonna get one for when the snow starts to fall. Let me know if any of you guys have tried it and if it helped at all.

Haven't tried handwarmers...yet. I start warming my hands as soon as I get outside. I focus on getting lots of blood to my hands by swinging my arms or snapping them, using centrifugal force to send warm blood into my fingers. A combo of that and opening and closing a tight fist. 5 minutes of that gets em pretty warm. I learned this while out in the woods with my dog. I do those motions every few minutes and in 20-25 minutes my hands are very warm (tingling warm) and stay that way with just occasional effort. The gloves stay on and I keep them dry.

Dressing properly is the most important. If dressed right I can stay out there all day. My friends that show up in jeans and cotton mittens are ready to bail after nine holes. I keep my hands in gloves the entire time only exposing one of them to throw and only after all the snow is off the disc.

I have never played in the snow. I am a true southerner and I don't like cold weather. I will play all day when it's 100 degrees and high humidity but I rarely play Dg when it's cold.

113d0c79.jpg

My poorly thrown drive (that Roc is still damn flippy) on Hole #2 at Silverview nearly took this snowman's head clean off. Playing in the snow rocks - you never know what to expect! :D

Last edited:
Just got done playing in a foot or so of melting wet snow undisturbed by any previous disc golfers....

1. The ribbons taped to discs really help you find buried discs.
2. said ribbons make your disc overstable, take off distance, and it looks like a flying sperm.
3. I can't feel my feet. Invest in real boots and not skateboarding shoes.

I played Flip City today with 18 to 20 inches of snow.Leagues started a couple of hours before we got there so some trails were broke.My ribbons were 24 inches long,but i'm adding 6 or 8 more inches if the snow stays that deep[it's not even winter yet].We did'nt lose any discs,but it was close.The course is a good workout when conditions are perfect,but be focused when the snow is to your knees.It was a great time.Good boots,lightweight snow pants,layers on top with a windbreaker and you'll be sweating before the first 9.One more day till spring.

What kind of tape do you use to hold on the ribbons?

When it gets so cold, my hands get dry. I found myself wetting a few fingers on my throwing hand with my tongue to get a little better grip. Anybody have suggestions for keeping your hands moist? Lotion????

What kind of tape do you use to hold on the ribbons?

When it gets so cold, my hands get dry. I found myself wetting a few fingers on my throwing hand with my tongue to get a little better grip. Anybody have suggestions for keeping your hands moist? Lotion????

zudoo....i'm pretty sure that using warm duct tape on a warm disc is the way to go when fastening a ribbon or string, but this is my first winter season and I will bow to those guys playing near the the west shore of Lake Michigan.
I'm with Dan E on light snow pants and layers with windbreakers.
I can't comment on moisthands. Staying dry is my key to staying warm. If I get wet...then I get cold...then I get cranky.
My sense is that you gotta adjust your grip ( glove or gloveless...wet disc and wind chill...or wishing for summer/dry finger tips) /attitude.
We're gonna score different in the snow, its like a very wet or windy day. Gotta adjust and take what you can get.

Just a couple of more reasons to play DISC GOLF.

1. you can't play ball golf in the powder and,
2. the ball would look silly with a string attached

We're going out for our first Snow Throwin' adventure this morning ~ headed for Lake Stevens DGC in Washington state ~ about 4 inches on the ground ~ air temperature right now, 28 degrees. Most of this course is in a really wooded area so snow on the ground should only be a problem on holes 1-18 & 19. Just hope we get there without any driving problems.

Snow golf is great fun! I usually wait for the thaw so there are patches of snow, adds a "sand trap" feel.

Attaching just about anything to a disc will effect flight. I thought about one of those stickers that are rfid tags, the ones that come inside expensive clothing. Those are light weight and super thin so most negligible with the disc flight but the scanner? Not sure about the cost of a handheld rfid scanner to find your discs. Doubt it would work underwater.

Winter is here and so is the snow, but I don't see that stopping me from playing. Who has played in the snow and what are some tips for snow throwing?

There is a shot called the "TaraHawk" we named it after our friend Tara who used it flawlessly to get out of the trees. It works really really good for up shots when it's that hard crunchy snow you're talking about. What it is is a tommahawk thats fliped low and light in such a way that the disc lands upside down! It's a great little short shot out of rough when you have no line, but in the snow, you can use it to sled or skip across the snow. I've seen a tarahawk slide all the way to the bottom of hole ten at fitz. Try it out.

I love when my disc lands ontop of the snow, does not get burried, and spins in place for a long period of time. Ahhh winter time.

A couple of weeks ago we had 3 or 4 inches of snow with a crust.I bounced my disc off a tree and it landed 50 feet in front of me.By the time I got to it,the disc was still spinning and spun for a long time.Way cool.

Latest posts