• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow Throwin'

Running a Winter League in western Michigan, we have good luck with ribbon. The 1/4" gift wrapping ribbon works the best. I`ve seen cloth ribbon used also. About 18" to 24"(depends on the depth of snow) taped to the bottom of the disc. Warming the disc helps the Duck tape stick. 10 of us played Saturday in 16" of powder, with 1 lost disc reported. You will lose some distance with ribbon and it will act as a kite tail.

Running a Winter League in western Michigan, we have good luck with ribbon. The 1/4" gift wrapping ribbon works the best. I`ve seen cloth ribbon used also. About 18" to 24"(depends on the depth of snow) taped to the bottom of the disc. Warming the disc helps the Duck tape stick. 10 of us played Saturday in 16" of powder, with 1 lost disc reported. You will lose some distance with ribbon and it will act as a kite tail.

This may be the most useful 1st post of all time. Thanks, Bill.

When you throw the disc do you coil the string up or let it hang?

Let it hang

I found big boots,more clothing and a 2 foot piece of gift wrap ribbon decrease your distance and change the stability of your disc.But in the long run,when spring has sprung and I shed all of the cold weather crap I will gain distance in my drives.12\13 forcast Flip City 40 degrees,sunny,12 to18 inches of snow.Earlier in the season with just a couple inches of snow the ribbons were needed because a nice flat throw would cover the disc when it landed,but you could see the ribbon.The cheap hand warmers in the sports section of Wal Mart come in handy also.:D But let the ribbon hang.

I like to bring a snow shovel and clear off the boxes. People will X on the box and play on, then mid day comes and melts the snow in the foot prints, and then at night it will freeze little footprint sized ice chuunks on the box. Clearing it off gets rid off all that noise.

I play with a guy from Michigan he says they take a 3' piece of red thread and either tape it to the bottom or put two small needle size holes in the middle and tie it off.He says it doesnt effect the flight of the disc at all and the red thread is very easy to see in the snow.He has played many rounds in deep snow so he says anyway.

Local update... IT SNOWED IN HOUSTON TODAY!!!

The most I saw was ~1.5" on some parked cars downtown. The ground was too warm for any significant accumulation.

http://www.khou.com/perl/common/slideshow/sspop.pl?recid=13476&nextimage=31

The flakes coming down were huge. Some of the biggest I've ever seen, and that's from a transplanted Ohio boy who spent his first twentysome years there.

ERic

wow, does that mean there is escaping the winter. I mean you cant even go to Houston without getting snowed on, damn.

One year when I was in college we went to the Cotton Bowl (don't ask when, it could have been any of those nine years :rolleyes:) and there was an ice storm. It was the biggest mess I've ever seen. People in Texas don't know much about driving in winter conditions, and there were cars off the road everywhere.

Plus that and I was freezing my tail off watching a game I really didn't care about. I was playing wingman for a buddy who had a long-distance thing going on with a girl who went to Texas A & M and I wasted my new year hanging out with them and her friend, who hated me. Oh, well...I hope the driving in Houston isn't that bad.

... ice storm. It was the biggest mess I've ever seen. People in Texas don't know much about driving in winter conditions, and there were cars off the road everywhere. [...] Oh, well...I hope the driving in Houston isn't that bad.
Not only do people not know how to drive in snow/ice conditions down here, but the city isn't prepared for it either. Salt truck? What's that?

bill at flip in western michigan????

sounds like the same bill who runs flip city!

my good sir, i have never played your course, but if you are the same man, i commend your efforts to maintain your course and support the sport, and i hope i can make it up to michigan in the very near future.

/end off topic rant
//sorry if this is a different bill (!)

I played my first snow round this afternoon in 6-9 inches of settled powder. I used 20-24 inches of orange construction twine and a strip of duct tape about 3/4" wide and 5" long. Knotted the string so it would have less chance to pull out. I set up 6 discs this way inside It worked great. The only string that came off was because the string caught on a loop on the glove of my non-throwing hand. That disc hit a tree ( Star Plastic survives ) and kinda flopped on top of the snow. No lost discs. Fun and quite a work out trudging up and down the hills of Hiestand Park.
Next time I will put my bag outside and hour or so before I play. The snow was really sticking to the warm discs and it was a bother to towel them off. By the 14th hole, though, they were room temperture (25 degrees) and the snow just brushed off with a glove.
I wore Power-stretch Polartec gloves with the little the little ping-pong paddle dots. I never took them off and I was happy how they worked.
Footwork on the tees? lol. A Patron Saint of Disc Golf had shoveled the tees, which was nice. Thank you very much. But it was sunny today with very little wind and a bit of melting freezing had happened, so while a few tees were perfect...some were kinda sketchy and some were sorta scary.
Black ice conditions.
All in all though...it was nice to hear the chains. I love that sound.
Oh, yeah. No waiting.

The worst part for me isn't finding my discs, but rather my terrible throws once my hand gets too cold. I just can't get the same grip going once my fingers have chilled.

I just lost a buzzz that had ribbon, and a blackjax light on it. The disc was also translucent
yellow so it "blows up" when the blacklight hits it. Sometimes sacrifices must be made.

The worst part for me isn't finding my discs, but rather my terrible throws once my hand gets too cold. I just can't get the same grip going once my fingers have chilled.

same for me, thats the reason I dont play in winter, once my hands are cold (even if I wear gloves between throw) I cant throw anywhere near the same!

straight from the man who built Flip City. :)

I was actually thinking (as I head out today to play in the snow) that two to three feet of neon colored yarn taped to the middle of the disc underneath. Less air resistance than ribbon I imagine.

Latest posts