• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So you played 200+ courses, but...

So, you've played 300 courses, but they're only in one country? Then I may not value your opinion either.

Knowing what a good course looks and reads like is pretty universal. If you're a disc golfer than knows what he/she doing then separating the BS reviews from the genuine reviews isn't a too difficult.

Realistically, disc golf in England, South Korea, and Japan is pretty much dump, sorry. The best course in each country is below a 4, excluding the Japan Open course because it's a temp course. Besides the Scandinavian countries, I'm willing to bet the permanent "World" courses are a lot less likely to be as good a US course that you & I'd call decent.

Most reviews I have read appear objective but the most frustrating part for me is a newbie that has played 10 - 15 average courses locally because they cannot travel and thinks they are qualified to design courses instead of contacting or hiring a professional course designer. I have witnessed this more over the past three years or so.

so my crappy/minimal reviews may have some value after all

Yes! If you have a good, consistent method of rating that applies your preferences for what is "good" and "bad" in courses, your rated played list is valuable!

:thmbdown:'s come for a variety of reasons - but in my observation, the most consistent way to earn :thmbdown:'s is to have a paragraph structure that looks different than the norm. I suspect there are a handful of people that are very consistent in thumbing down after a quick glance without considering the value of the rating that the reviewer supplied to the site.

I am willing to bet an awful lot that meaningful course ratings are much more useful to the masses than a review......especially if the course front page has all the main details, even more so if there are maps and pictures. And, yet another review added after one good review is written adds very little.

On topic.....this is especially true of players with 200+ played. I have asked timg a few times to consider implementing a method whereby widely-traveled players could enter their rated course list in a shorthand method (and not get slammed like I have for doing so).

Dave-
that's essentially what i do, assign a number based on my criteria, then throw some words at it so it can be saved. I'm pretty consistent and have gone back to change reviews as I travel more. On another note, I typically only review a course if I feel the current rating is out of whack with where it should be in my mind. BRP is a good example. In no way do I feel the course rates being in the top 10, I can think of ten others that should be above it, so I give it a respectable 4/5 and get a bunch of crap for it.

In no way do I feel the course rates being in the top 10, I can think of ten others that should be above it, so I give it a respectable 4/5 and get a bunch of crap for it.

This is good/responsible. I think it is stupid (and immature) when people give a course they think in their own personal opinion is overrated a 0/1 just to try to compensate for the 4/5s others have given it. Visa versa for those giving 4/5's for substandard courses just to increase the rating average.

You got a lot of extra time on your hands to think about something 99.9% have never even thought about it.