• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So you played 200+ courses, but...

my dashboard>dgcr profile> scroll down a little, then click on course map

Below are the number of players listed at the levels over 200 courses here on DGCR:

Diamond level(1000+ courses played): 5
Gold level(500+): 15
Silver level(200+): 110
Bronze level(50+): 2,301

Between those, the Trusted Reviewers(minimum 10 Reviews, 100 Helpful Votes, 20 Unique Voters) are 2 in Diamond, 7 in Gold, 36 in silver.

I need like 10 more courses to change your stat.

Since you really haven't explored the upper Midwest hotbed, your diversity must be lacking. ;)

If I've played so many Chicago 9ers that I can't remember which is which can I check the upper Midwest hotbed off my "to-do" list? :p

My courses played list (other than being <200 courses) is exactly what the OP was talking about. It's essentially a diagonal stripe from Springfield MO to Chicagoland. It is what it is, though. I'd love to take a week off, jump in the car and road trip to the east coast to play some golf. My wife/kids/boss/bank account don't really seem to care what I'd love to do, though. :|

Last edited:
What if someone has played all over the country, but they've cherry-picked only the very best courses to play? Or alternately, what if they've only played Midwestern courses, but they've played all kinds, from wooded to wide open, from short to long, and from crappy to outstanding? Region of the country is only relevant if it tells you something about the kinds of courses someone has played.

What if someone has played all over the country, but they've only played the very best courses all over the country? Or alternately, what if they've only played Midwestern courses, but they've played all kinds, from wooded to wide open, from short to long, and from crappy to outstanding? Region of the country is only relevant if it tells you something about the kinds of courses someone has played.

In my experience, "the very best" in different regions is an extremely diverse theory. I have found that the best courses in different regions do not translate well...usually they are just the very best, compared to what is around them.

My courses played list (other than being <200 courses) is exactly what the OP was talking about. It's essentially a diagonal stripe from Springfield MO to Chicagoland. It is what it is, though.

Your "wish list" map is very diverse, and is therefore extremely valid, not to mention beautiful and glorious.

I trust your wishes more than the wishes of somebody who only wishes to play in one area.

Op, there's more to life than "regional" diversity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-19-09-05-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-19-09-05-41.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
Reviews, by their very nature, are never objective. If you try to give an objective review, your review will be useless.

Reviews are always clouded by other factors - weather, time of day, how you feel, etc. This is true of course reviews, music reviews, book reviews, etc. Speaking as someone who has written a few hundred book reviews in the past few years, I can tell you that NONE of them were objective. They aren't supposed to be.

You should never decide anything based on one review, or even two or three. Read a bunch of reviews, and even then you probably will have a different perspective.

I'll chime in a bit. I've never written a review because I don't think I have played enough different geographical locations. Now that I've seen a couple in different states, I'm glad I held off.

It really opened my eyes to play a mountain course in Colorado. It makes a lot of 4 star reviews seem in-valid on Texas courses. On that same note, the course I played in Kansas was rated to high compared to some courses in Texas.

The review system works solely based on picking what courses you want to play in a given region. I don't think the review system works as a comparison of different regions or in a best course argument. Basically, don't plan a road trip to somewhere based on reviews, but if your in the area it's a good tool to determine which courses should be played over others.

When I travel, I rarely even look at reviews. Mostly just the rating and # of reviews. But in those rare cases, sure.

High Rating + High # of reviews = Blindly accepted
Low Rating + High # of reviews = Blindly accepted

High Rating + Low # of reviews = Equivalent to FBI investigation
Low Rating + Low # of reviews = Check out hole length/pictures/etc.

So yeah, I guess if I am realllly trying to size up a High/Low course, I would go so far as to check out the reviewer's played list/favorites/map.

When I travel, I rarely even look at reviews. Mostly just the rating and # of reviews. But in those rare cases, sure.

while i do like reading reviews, i feel the same. but mostly, because if im going to an area, im going to play the area out. i tend to optimize by least travel time and quantity of courses.

Reviews, by their very nature, are never objective. If you try to give an objective review, your review will be useless.

Reviews are always clouded by other factors - weather, time of day, how you feel, etc. This is true of course reviews, music reviews, book reviews, etc. Speaking as someone who has written a few hundred book reviews in the past few years, I can tell you that NONE of them were objective. They aren't supposed to be.

You should never decide anything based on one review, or even two or three. Read a bunch of reviews, and even then you probably will have a different perspective.

High Rating + High # of reviews = Blindly accepted
Low Rating + High # of reviews = Blindly accepted

High Rating + Low # of reviews = Equivalent to FBI investigation
Low Rating + Low # of reviews = Check out hole length/pictures/etc.

So yeah, I guess if I am realllly trying to size up a High/Low course, I would go so far as to check out the reviewer's played list/favorites/map.

I feel the same way as you guys (and others on this thread that have made similar statements). Course Ratings are the real value of the collaboration on this site (along with the courses themselves, the descriptions and pictures...duh!). From the pictures and description on the course page I can tell almost everything I need to know about a course (without having to slog through pages of verbiage). But that data can easily lie/mislead - so ratings are the balance....and the arrow that points to good courses to consider visit-worthy.

That is why early on I entered my rated list of 150+ courses played with a short-hand cookie-cutter rationalization for my rating (example - my first such review"). It did not go over well with the readers....and my 1567 :thmbdown:'s on my 275 reviews are a testament to that. :D

I hold the 1699 :thmbup:'s as a badge of honor (more than almost all Diamond & Gold reviewers)

after this thread i wish i could block certain people from reading my reviews.