• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Socal to Steamboat Springs Thanksgiving

newhuck

Bogey Member
I will be driving out from Southern California to Steamboat Springs, CO for the opening day of ski season and will stay a week in Colorado. I will be driving my very large Sprinter Van with 5 kids in tow. I am looking for some places to stretch my legs and get out while en route. I saw Moab was on the way, but I don't have 4x4. Ideally, looking for some courses where I could kill an hour or 2 that are not far from the 15 or 70. I plan on leaving the kids in the van, two of them are 18 years old. I won't be heading east of Steamboat as that is my final destination. Let me know if I have a chance to play this time of year, we are spoiled in Socal, we play year round. Thanks in advance for any help. I plan to leave socal around 2pm friday stopping in Beaver, UT for the night and then driving to Steamboat that Saturday.

Palisade on the CO river is one of the better courses in the state and should be nice weather. Right off I-70. Glenwood Springs CMC is nice and not to far off the hwy(20mins).

Moab has an in-town course (Old City Park) that is well worth playing and the town is very cool as well. If you have time, you can also pop into Arches NP and drive through with the family. It is a very car-oriented park, you can see a lot without hiking too much.

There is also a new course in Fruita (just before Palisade) that was built for the State Championships this year. Haven't played it yet but I hear its pretty good.

Also, Fire Mountain DGC in New Castle (just before Glenwood Springs) is a short but fun and technical course that is just off the interstate. You can see some baskets across the river as you drive past.

Last but not least, there is a course in Eagle (just before you get to the Steamboat exit, hwy 131) that is not quite as good as the others mentioned but it is my winter home course and I'd be happy to show you around if I'm available.

Have a great trip. I've got my Epic Pass and am patiently waiting for better snow and Vail and Beaver Creek's opening days.

Old City Park in Moab is pretty decent and is a good place to stretch the legs. Honestly I mobbed my subaru outback to the moab adventure course with zero issues. You don't need 4x4 to make it assuming the road isnt or has been washed out since I was there last March. That place is amazing! It'd be worth renting a jeep for the day if your concerned. If you do end up going there stay the night in the hogons(clay teepees) $5 per person a night. Also check out the wind caves a short hike away. You won't regret it. :hfive:

Old City Park in Moab is pretty decent and is a good place to stretch the legs. Honestly I mobbed my subaru outback to the moab adventure course with zero issues. You don't need 4x4 to make it assuming the road isnt or has been washed out since I was there last March. That place is amazing! It'd be worth renting a jeep for the day if your concerned. If you do end up going there stay the night in the hogons(clay teepees) $5 per person a night. Also check out the wind caves a short hike away. You won't regret it. :hfive:

While Base Camp is great and one of the best places to golf anywhere, it may not be an ideal spot to take 5 kids. The drive from Moab is an hour each way and the course will take you at least 2 hours so its quite the time hog. I'd be wary to do the drive in a sprinter van as well. Lots of cars will make it but a loaded van is iffy.

Come back and play it when you can dedicate some time to the entire Moab area. Its really worth it to check out everything you can do besides play disc golf.

I don't have any major time constraints, other than sunrise and sunset. If anyone has made the drive, I am trying to figure out a good place to stop. At the moment, I am planning on leaving around 2-3pm Friday, and driving to Beaver, Utah. Then wake up and hit the road around 6-7am, Moab may be a good way to spend a few hours before hitting the road again. I can arrive in Steamboat late Saturday or even Sunday, staying in a friends' owners cabin so no worries about when I arrive. Also I won't be skiing until the opener on the 23rd, so definitely up for playing in Eagle Sunday-Tuesday if that is the closest course. If I don't have the time or daylight for Palisade, perhaps I will hit that on the way back after thanksgiving. Thank you all for the great info, this will save me hours of planning.

I don't have any major time constraints, other than sunrise and sunset. If anyone has made the drive, I am trying to figure out a good place to stop. At the moment, I am planning on leaving around 2-3pm Friday, and driving to Beaver, Utah. Then wake up and hit the road around 6-7am, Moab may be a good way to spend a few hours before hitting the road again. I can arrive in Steamboat late Saturday or even Sunday, staying in a friends' owners cabin so no worries about when I arrive. Also I won't be skiing until the opener on the 23rd, so definitely up for playing in Eagle Sunday-Tuesday if that is the closest course. If I don't have the time or daylight for Palisade, perhaps I will hit that on the way back after thanksgiving. Thank you all for the great info, this will save me hours of planning.

Sorry if it was unclear before but Eagle won't be the closest course to you. Its the closest to your exit off of I-70 (if thats the route you're taking) on the way to Steamboat and closest to me. It's at least 2 hours from Steamboat.

Thanks for clearing that up. Is there anything close to Steamboat that will be open? I am about 15 minutes from the resort, closer to the airport.
THanks

There is a 9 hole course at the college in Steamboat and a relatively new 9 hole course to the west of town that I've heard is decent. Playability will obviously depend on the amount of snow thats come down by then. I'd say you'll have a better chance of great skiing over decent disc golf in the Steamboat area that time of year.

Latest posts