• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Special Shots.....Best disc for each.

BH roller: Sidewinder, Monarch, Avenger SS (something in that stability range)

Tomahawk: depends on you. Typically more stable discs are better. However I have a Star SL that for some reason is a good bit more stable than was advertised, so I Tomahawk it. I can get ~300ft with it, ~275 with good accuracy.

1. I don't throw this much but when I do, I use a beat DX TeeBird. Very accurate on the flick part.
2. I throw this even less, but before the snow hit I was trying to learn with a sidewinder. But I am far from having a valid opinion here.
3. I throw a lot of overhands. When I am going for accuracy more than distance I throw a thumber with a Predator. That shot is money anywhere within 250'.
4. When I am going for raw distance and not so much accuracy, I throw a tomahawk with a Z Flick. I am consistently between 280-310 with this. Overall not as accurate as the Predator.

Once again, I hardly ever throw rollers so don't take my opionions on those to heart.

overhands

Truth is, for thumbers and tomahawks, virtually any disc will work, they will just fly differently. If I need max distance OH, I throw a Whippet (be careful, they take significantly longer to go through the barrel roll than even a Boss; throw them high). If it can't have it move too much left to right (or vice versa), them something understable like a Monarch is great (less distance but better control). Close to the basket but behind some shrubs? Toss your putter overhand and watch it land upside down and slide up to the pole.

You may even use different discs for tomahawks vs. thumbers if you find one grip gets you more distance. I switched from tomahawk to thumber for the most part when I found I had better accuracy, but they're both great to have in your arsenal.

Hector Chain stole my thunder. I was all up and ready to say "any disc can work for a tomahawk, depending what you want to do." Most of the replies so far have been advice for driving, but you can throw a midrange disc or a putter for tomahawk approaches with amazing precision if you have the room to work the disc. And there's no substitute for an overhand throw in a pine forest. Give me a high ceiling and a narrow fairway, and I'll use my tomahawk every time. What disc I pull out depends on what line I want to shape. You can tommy anything from a Cro to a Valkyrie to a Boss to a Roc to an Aviar. Or any disc by any other maker. Flippier discs flip quicker, which if you learn them well, you can learn to tweak around those trees in the middle of your target line. If I could throw a tomahawk over 300', I'd be in danger of losing the rest of my game for lack of use.

1. RHFH roller. What disc performs well for a right hand forehand roller? What do you like? long rolls Champ Valk, short pro leopard

2. RHBH roller. This is a heavy anhyser throw roller. What do you like? star roadrunner. going to try out one of my champ valks once the snow melts. the roadrunner is only good for rollers.

3. RHOH Thumber. A right hand overhead thumber shot. I'm really lost here in finding a good thumber disc. once again a champ valk, i have shoulder damage so overhead shots hurt alot if i throw with alot of power. the valk is easy on the arm with great flight in most wind.

4. RHFH Tomahawk. Again....no clue what disc to use here. look at #3

Also, any help on throwing said styles would again be much appreciated.

best advice to throw a thumber is to throw it like your pitching a baseball. some of the best thumber players i have met were baseball players (especially the pitchers). it also has a unique sidearm flights.
the RHBH roller: #1 disc is released at shoulder height or slightly above. #2 lots of snap! #3 LOTS of snap!!!!! #4 if the direction youre throwing is North then you want your shoulders to be slightly more East of your hips (sorry this is the only way i can think of to describe it) upon release. this helps me to get the right release angle.
now theres the other tought: use a really understable disc, like a roadrunner/vision/avenger ss, and throw it flat with a huge amount of snap so that it flips over really fast and hits the ground running. i find this to be extremely inconsistent.
i hope this advice helps you. if anything really try the thumber advice. thats how it was explained to me and it was flawless since the first throw. ive since explained it like that to many people over the years and its been flawless for them as well.
almost forgot...train rollers with a regular frisbee or dog disc. this is really easy to learn and shows flaws easily. i can roll my dogs frisbee about 300'+ dead nuts straight. now if they would only make them legal. thinking of trying the hero 235

Last edited:
For short to medium length approach roller, forehand or backhand I love the Panther. Give it the right mojo and it will circle the pin.

The tomahawk is also pretty much thrown like a baseball. Just a different grip from the thumber. But lots of people can only throw one or the other well, for mysterious reasons I wish I understood. Could be something as mundane as the shape of your hands.

I'm looking to expand my arsenal to include a few new shots and was hoping to get some advice from you more seasoned throwers.

I'm basically looking to find the best disc for each application.

1. RHFH roller. XXX/FB

2. RHBH roller. Valk/Leopard

3. RHOH Thumber. XXX/FB/Spirit

4. RHFH Tomahawk. Valk

Also, any help on throwing said styles would again be much appreciated.

/thread