• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Speed 10 Overstable Drivers

PD (i know it's been said) if you're not super set on the speed, Thundy, Predator, Machete, Vulture is supposed to be a very nice OS but glidey throwable disc. Good luck.

Most people for this slot will throw a Fortress, Culverin, PD, Thunderbird, Vulture or my favorite a Star Starfire. Get a nice Jenkins star one, they start out pretty stable.

Well my Proton Photon is exactly this. A beefy Wraith is also worth a look. I have to warn you though, the "fight wind but still get distance" is like chasing a unicorn. It's really hard to find something that is fast, has good to great glide, and won't get drifted much by a headwind. You're gonna have to give up one of those generally. For my bag I've settled on a S-DD for the speed and wind resistance but it is not a glidey, max D disc at all.

How much beef are we talking? Like you need a Firebird or Monster to hook up big time, or just something that won't flip?

Have you tried an Eclipse Volt? They are just a bit beefier. Or the PD/Firebird/Felon/Ahti are all great too.

Could be a difference in speed or spin. Is Morristown in the mountains? If so, it could be elevation difference. Some people just use more torque than others...

...or it could be all of those things.

Morristown is considered foothills as we sit at 1350'. We sit in a wide, steeply hilled valley between the Smokeys and Clinch Mountian and between 2 lakes....in other words we have more tumbling wind and vortexs (vortexi?) than stright on wind like you do in the nati region.
I throw with more spin than speed with very little, if any torque. The only recurring form issue I have, other than wasted energy, is that the wider rim the disc has, the more nose up I throw...and neutral discs seem to be more forgiving of nose up throws.

I can even throw Comets in the wind, so maybe the Volt isnt that big a deal...

I dont know what, or if all, of that makes a difference.

Speaking of the nati, I probably will be up i that area soon, Ive played ?Mt Airey? and Idlewild, isnt there another good course in that area?

We've got a couple really good courses. Lincoln Ridge is about as much fun as a boy could have on a course but will tire you out with the hills. Osage Grove is getting really good. Last year they installed brand new long and short concrete tees on every hole. This year they have been opening up some of the lines for the new tees(course originally opened with a mixed layout of tee locations and they had been slowly filling in the rest since) and have installed some new short pins on a couple holes. The pictures on here are from several years ago so don't pay them much mind. The place looks a lot different now. If it had opened the way it is now, I think it would be 4.25 or better rated. It was really rough the first couple years and paid for it on the reviews.

They also recently installed a "driving range" with markers out to 450ft I think.

Last edited:
How much beef are we talking? Like you need a Firebird or Monster to hook up big time, or just something that won't flip?

Have you tried an Eclipse Volt? They are just a bit beefier. Or the PD/Firebird/Felon/Ahti are all great too.

Yeah, for speed 10 if you want real beef the Monster is your obvious answer. Massively overstable and glideless.

I personally prefer the Starfire for routine overstable work. It won't set any distance records, but will still go a good distance if ripped properly.

The Orc is a bit flippy to be considered an overstable driver.

PD or Starfire would be my choices for moderately overstable 10 speed drivers.

We've got a couple really good courses. Lincoln Ridge is about as much fun as a boy could have on a course but will tire you out with the hills. Osage Grove is getting really good. Last year they installed brand new long and short concrete tees on every hole. This year they have been opening up some of the lines for the new tees(course originally opened with a mixed layout of tee locations and they had been slowly filling in the rest since) and have installed some new short pins on a couple holes. The pictures on here are from several years ago so don't pay them much mind. The place looks a lot different now. If it had opened the way it is now, I think it would be 4.25 or better rated. It was really rough the first couple years and paid for it on the reviews.

They also recently installed a "driving range" with markers out to 450ft I think.

Osage is bad asssss!!!!

I throw similar distances, and I bag 4 PFN Star orcs. Out of the box they are straight to overstable. The orc is the OG Pd. But it has more glide and distance potential. I highly recommend the disc.

PD, ORC, or Thunderbird. Having bagged all of these at least once in my career you can't go wrong with any of them.

PD and ORC get a C-Line or Champ

Thunderbird get a older Star

pd is actually closer to a 9 speed and not really that overstable. the machette is a true speed 10 plus and is overtable.
random and off the top of my head but that was what came to mind first.

The disc I have seen used for this wind shot is a Firebird, though that is a speed lower then you might want, though it would work. I have seen a Machete speed 11 used as well as Predator Speed 10 for Discraft players.

Lightweight Star Firebird? Brand new might be a little too beefy but knock it around a few times and they're workable - especially with a hint of dome on them. It's called a speed 9 (1.9 cm rim) but the PD uses the same rim and is called a 10 caaause no good reason...still 1.9 cm rim.

Nobody can notice a 1mm different in their grip:|

I picked up an Orc although it is Pro. We'll see how it flies. I know full well to not expect max distance out of Overstable Drivers but I want it to go further than my Clash which is excellent against the wind.

The PD used to be/is the standard in this category. It'll start out pretty beefy but really starts to shine one the new has worn away.

That Pro Orc may fill the role for the first couple throws, but the durability doesn't seem to exist.

The PD used to be/is the standard in this category. It'll start out pretty beefy but really starts to shine one the new has worn away.

That Pro Orc may fill the role for the first couple throws, but the durability doesn't seem to exist.

The PD also has that anhyzer top that many dislike...I throw Teebirds [PD-like flight] now but used to bag the OLF [Eagle-like flight] because I couldn't stand the PD.

Cosign on the Pro Orc. Should have gone with a more premium plastic to start.

I picked up an Orc although it is Pro. We'll see how it flies. I know full well to not expect max distance out of Overstable Drivers but I want it to go further than my Clash which is excellent against the wind.

Sounds good. If you like it, you can get a Star or Champion Orc at your leisure in the future. If you don't like it... naah, you're gonna like it... :thmbup:

Try out a DX beast and see how that feels in the hand, it's my go to water disc with great control.

Check out a Star Starfire. Great discs that are like a slightly faster, less aggressive Firebird. It's a true speed 10.

Latest posts