• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed 5 Disc

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
I am looking to add a Speed 5 Disc to my bag. The fastest discs I have been carrying are TeeBirds with the exception of one bomber disc.

I have a new Champ Viking that I've thrown a few times. The problem I have with it is the line it takes. It's a little understable at high speed, so it swings wide off the tee. I do have a role for it in the bag right now and fade isn't too bad but I think I might need something with greater HSS that I can rip with confidence. (Kind of like my TeeBirds...but faster!)

speed5disc.jpg

Just wanted your input on this. I'm probably looking for discs in the blue, pink, or green. Most of the discs in this genre I'm clueless about but I'd really like some good glide!

I throw my 170 g Champ Viking about 300 ft. (Don't forget I'm a girl, so this distance isn't that bad!)

I think in Liz Lopez's "What's in the bag?" she says she really likes her Crush. I'm too lazy to find the video but I think that sounds like a pretty good suggestion. Also the Avenger is pretty good. I threw a Starfire for awhile, but if you're looking for something that will turn a little, I would go with an SL.

Hope that helps.

I've read a Striker is a little like a longer T-Bird, so I'm considering it. There's also a 166 Star SL in our club disc inventory that I could use my credits to buy. Free is also good if it is what I'm looking for :\

Thanx Runnaman, I had a Champ StarFire that I was pretty happy with until it met up with a boulder. :( I can't remember if I tuned that disc for a while or not, but I have gotten another StarFire since and it was Very Stable for me.

I find it very interesting you said SL after I started thinking that might be good too. I've read mixed reviews on the crush.

I am so curious about the glide of an SL.

The SL is a solid disc. Everyone I've talked to says the SL flies better in Pro plastic but obviously not so much on the durable side of things. I've never thrown the Pro version but the Star SL has been my main distance driver for years now.

I am looking to add a Speed 5 Disc to my bag. The fastest discs I have been carrying are TeeBirds with the exception of one bomber disc.

I have a new Champ Viking that I've thrown a few times. The problem I have with it is the line it takes. It's a little understable at high speed, so it swings wide off the tee. I do have a role for it in the bag right now and fade isn't too bad but I think I might need something with greater HSS that I can rip with confidence. (Kind of like my TeeBirds...but faster!)

speed5disc.jpg

Just wanted your input on this. I'm probably looking for discs in the blue, pink, or green. Most of the discs in this genre I'm clueless about but I'd really like some good glide!

I throw my 170 g Champ Viking about 300 ft. (Don't forget I'm a girl, so this distance isn't that bad!)

300' is impressive but I'm surprised that it has too much turn. If you want something slightly more stable that is similar to the t-bird try the power driver (aka the freak). I have a 169 p-line and a 170 s-line. The s-line flies like a faster t-bird while the p-line is fairly understable. p-line= pro plastic and s-line= star

The speed five that you're referring to is actually the range of the disc. It looks like there are speed 9-12 discs in that range.

Thanks for clarifying, now I see it on the chart "RNG"! :confused:

But is it a similar quality? Regardless, I need one in that area. I have never tried Discmania, that's a consideration. I was just reading about the PD. Sounds like it has good glide. Good suggestion. I will keep it in mind.

I've read a Striker is a little like a longer T-Bird, so I'm considering it. There's also a 166 Star SL in our club disc inventory that I could use my credits to buy. Free is also good if it is what I'm looking for :\

172 Opto Striker in my for sale thread :) PM if interested

The SL is a solid disc. Everyone I've talked to says the SL flies better in Pro plastic but obviously not so much on the durable side of things. I've never thrown the Pro version but the Star SL has been my main distance driver for years now.

I think you've convinced me and best thing is it's free! :hfive: So, I can still buy something else if needed....perhaps a PD.

I want something for long narrow fairways, but not tight fairways. I would use the Viking if it didn't initially have that small turn. I might could stand to throw a little more nose down also.

But do you think an SL is too close on the chart? SL -1 HSS vs Viking -1.5 HSS.

I actually bought a Pro StarFire at like 175 g cause I saw Valarie Jenkins throws one but it is ridiculously stable. It's still new though. Anyway, I always thought a Pro StarFire = SL, now I know that's not true.

Val's bag has the Destroyer, Pro Starfire, RoadRunner, TL, Roc, Aviar setup.

Mine would be Katana, (???SL), Sidewinder, Teebird, Roc, Aviar.

So it seems like I'm choosing from the right class of drivers to add to my bag. I know my arm is nothing like her's but, it's a good reference point for us girls to use.

Looking at those options and what you're looking for it to do. I would second the Discmania PD.

I would also suggest an Elite X Avenger possibly (you'll beat some of the fade out of it as you use it if it's too much). Elite Z Avenger if you want it to fade.

Also the DGA Riptide is a solid disc too that probably no one will recommend, but will hold that straight line better than the Viking. Sort of similiar to that faster TeeBird you're looking for.

But the PD is definitely that "faster TeeBird".

Both Christy and I throw Orion LS'es. At US womens it was the longest disc in her bag by far.

By a quantum and I dont think you will flip it too much.

If you do then the PD or SL are good choices. They are both still too much for her but work good when you need fade.

I don't think Christy quite has your distance but there are times I hit 300' and she is within a couple feet so its not too far off.

When you get some dings in that pro starfire, it won't be as overstable for you.

If you throw max weight normally, i would stick with the pro starfire until it is too beat in. If you throw varying weights, I would get a Star SL in the low 170s/upper 160s.

i have been looking into getting a striker for essentially the same reasons. i have no experience with them, but they look good on paper!

I have been throwing both an S-PD and a champ SL recently. The PD is a great sraight disc at your power but it will still be beefy for a while. I have been really impressed with the SL and its ability to work a lot of lines. Like someone said get mid 160's and it will hyzer flip or do big s turns all day.

I have never taken the time to look at any charts to decipher their information. I just throw discs and the ones that fit properly into my hand and fly the way I like them to end up in the bag. I play more by feel than by using scientific data to play the game. There is a lot to be gained from keeping it simple.

I have never taken the time to look at any charts to decipher their information. I just throw discs and the ones that fit properly into my hand and fly the way I like them to end up in the bag. I play more by feel than by using scientific data to play the game. There is a lot to be gained from keeping it simple.

I agree but most of us use one of these charts loosely to see what we are after and then try things in that range. We don't have the luxury of getting large lots to try.

I totally agree though, especially when disc "science" is by and large snake oil anyways (totally made up arbritary numbers).

For a graphical representation of Joe's chart, check out the Excel-based tool in my sig. I realize that it's all approximate, but it might help you get an idea of which discs might make sense and which ones you can ignore completely.

I have looked and used the charts a lot and now am making an effort to stop. Not because of the arbitrary numbers, but more to wanting to develop an intimate relationship with the discs Im carrying now rather than keep trying things that might do it better. Rather just get familiar and do it better myself.

Then again, a lot of the discs I carry came out this past year lol. Ok, all my staples besides the Preds and Magic; and I still have yet to explore much in drivers above speed 10 and will do more as I feel ready for them, but I really am trying.

Latest posts