• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed golf

I have never played a round of speed golf, but sometimes if I'm playing by myself I'll jog between a few shots or something. End up finishing course in about 50 minutes compared to about 80-90 min.
But like I said, never a full blown speed or jog every hole
I seen this guy in Chicago who used to "run the courses" but thats the only time I've seen that

I would have well over a basketball score and that is if it was a 9 hole course lol. I am way out of shape but, maybe I will have to get into this.

I plan on doing a lot of this in the spring. I'm really antsy to do it...but running in crappy weather in upstate NY would probably kill me.

\/\/

A need for speed

I saw a guy doing this on the UNC course at Chapel Hill and he was getting a heckuva workout. I'm not much of a fan of running on a hard surface, but I think tying it into disc golf and running off-road, would make it much more tolerable. I'm also going to have alot less time to play this year, so it looks like a win-win. The nice thing too is that if your DG game is not getting any better, you can atleast improve your score by improving your fitness. I think right now I'd be hard-pressed to jog 1/3 of the course, so there's alot of room for improvement. I normally play at a pretty brisk pace when I'm solo 1 1/2 average (5minutes/hole), so I'm going to try and shave that to under an hour (3minutes/hole)for starters.

Last edited:
i'm not sure about points...
but on my local course i've seen a few guys who run the course between throws....

they are always covered in sweat and the course that would take me 90 minutes (solo, unobstructed) takes them 45.

they all say that it's a great workout.

I do this for a workout too. It sure beats the treadmill!

I do this for a workout too. It sure beats the treadmill!

I agree, better scenery and something to keep your mind off the fact that you're actually exercising. I can go a lot faster and run for longer playing disc golf than I can on a treadmill or just running for running's sake.

I would love to see a speed team relay just to see how fast a disc could be zipped around a course.

Yea, speed disc golf is awesome! I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to come this Spring. I would imagine you get a really good workout.

So many pro's from this kind of workout too. And for the pale white guys on here, myself included, play without a shirt on, it's a quick easy way to get a bit of a tan. Although if you're on a wooded course, try to keep your disc on the fairway as much as possible!!

To do it in a tournament would require some special rules. Here's what I'd do:

- two disc maximum. Grab your two favorites and roll
- staggered start times. Kind of like the biathalon. Each person must be timed individually
- monitors on all holes, so that participants aren't cheating.
- score is combined with time so that each stroke equals thirty seconds. Time can simply be added or deducted depending upon the par of each hole. So if you shoot a 5 on a par three, a minute of time is added. If you get a 2, thirty seconds are deducted.
- The person who successfully completes the course in the least amount of time wins.

I drove down out of the NC mountain snow to Kingsport, TN today for my first taste of speed golf.
It was a balmy 43 and I played in long johns,Levi's and heavy insulated winter boots.
I didn't want to get too health-conscious, so I downed two gas station hot dogs on the way in, but passed on the icy tall boys since it was before noon.
I carried my bag the first round with an occaisonal slow jog and finished 18 holes in 47 minutes. I wouldn't call it speed golf, more like Mr. Bojangles playing QB in a no huddle offense. Sweating like a pig after 5 holes.
I took off my jacket and carried just 3 discs the second round, and finished in 36 minutes. My score was 59 on both rounds. My approach shots and putting were much better than normal for some reason. Almost had my second ace on #14 second round (hit the top lid dead center).
I'm pretty sure there were some guys laughing at me, but I couldn't slow down to check.
Warriors Path is a good course for this...I liked it !

Speed Rules and Speed Records

Click for Speed Rules. I play [FONT=&quot]Score = Throws + Time[/FONT]

Click for Speed Records in the Triangle of NC. (I used to hold the Kentwood record, but now am 2nd)

Click for Speed Rules. I play [FONT=&quot]Score = Throws + Time[/FONT]

Click for Speed Records in the Triangle of NC. (I used to hold the Kentwood record, but now am 2nd)
Ahh. Now I know how you guys play 8 courses in one day. Mystery solved.
I think the other wrinkle you could add would be to stop the clock if a group wouldn't let you play through immediately. The records are impressive ! Looks like 2003-4 was the equivalent of baseball's steroid era.

Ahh. Now I know how you guys play 8 courses in one day. Mystery solved.
Naw, you don't need to speed to do the Great 8. You just need to move at a decent rate. It's really not that hard. Speed golf is just for training. I haven't even done Speed in about 5 years because I hate running.

The local club does a tournament here called "One and Run". No groups, each player picks one disc to play the whole course with. The judge starts each player at the 1st tee with spotters at each hole to make sure you make every basket. They start each player 3-5 minutes apart, and record your time when you hit basket #18 with your disc. You shout out your strokes at each basket to the spotter who records them for each player(they are numbered). A balance of running/jogging speed and throwing accuracy. No easy task, it's grueling to even watch. I've seen some old times play too, crazy.:gross:

The local club does a tournament here called "One and Run". No groups, each player picks one disc to play the whole course with. The judge starts each player at the 1st tee with spotters at each hole to make sure you make every basket. They start each player 3-5 minutes apart, and record your time when you hit basket #18 with your disc. You shout out your strokes at each basket to the spotter who records them for each player(they are numbered). A balance of running/jogging speed and throwing accuracy. No easy task, it's grueling to even watch. I've seen some old times play too, crazy.:gross:

That sounds like a lot of fun, I would love to play an event like that. Does anybody ever catch up to the player in front of them? Who would have the right of way?

speed wouldnt work well out here because of the terrain. unless of course you wanted to train for cross country

Hmm...doesn't seem to make a difference here even with nasty terrain changes. You'll see some players finish the tourney, bleeding were they tripped on a tree root or fell down a hill.

That sounds like a lot of fun, I would love to play an event like that. Does anybody ever catch up to the player in front of them? Who would have the right of way?

Sure, you just play right through the guy on the same hole. Passing him as you go. Only problem happens when they are both putting at the same basket at the same time. Normally one guy will pause to prevent hitting chains at the same time or the others disc.

I meant to say Old Timers in my above post. Some women play too! I wouldn't even try, these women would put me to shame.

a few courses here are like damn mountain sides

A guy lapped me twice jogging the Sunrise course on the Mountain High ski hill. It's real mountain golf with some quite steep uphills and it's at elevation. I wouldn't do it personally, but if you really want to do it, terrain won't stop you.