• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed golf

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
That would be minutes+strokes=final score.
Has anyone played it ?

Yes do it for warm up rounds all the time

Yes do it for warm up rounds all the time
Fun or no fun ? Also wondering if it would work in a tournament format.
I like the idea of getting a cardio workoutwhile playing DG, since it is the least-strenous of all the sports I play, by far.

how do you do it in a tourney or group? if you are in a group, you're minutes are going up while waiting for the other person. if you play by yourself, there is nobody there to count your score but yourself which would lead to many record breaking rounds

i'm not sure about points...
but on my local course i've seen a few guys who run the course between throws....

they are always covered in sweat and the course that would take me 90 minutes (solo, unobstructed) takes them 45.

they all say that it's a great workout.

I've never actually kept track of the minutes, but I play rounds where I run or jog on a pretty regular basis when I'm playing by myself. It's a fun way to get a good workout, and it means I can get lots of throws in on a course pretty quickly. My best was on a medium length 9 hole course where I played 10 rounds in an hour, and had a few pretty good scores in there too.

Yeah...it doesn't work well with other people or let alone anyone on the course(although when they see you running they usually let you play through). Its mostly for fun or training. For a tourney, you'd have to have separate start times and either someone to count or have a lot of faith.

I've never actually kept track of the minutes, but I play rounds where I run or jog on a pretty regular basis when I'm playing by myself. It's a fun way to get a good workout, and it means I can get lots of throws in on a course pretty quickly. My best was on a medium length 9 hole course where I played 10 rounds in an hour, and had a few pretty good scores in there too.

Holy cats, that's way less than 1 minute per hole !

I've seen this done before and I have done a few times myself it is a great workout. On the down side of this it screws up with your rythm. I used to play starting with two drives and would play two games at once for an entire 18 holes as long as i didn't hold others up. I saw my scores go to hell and some one mentioned to me about rythm ever since I stopped doing that my scores improved. I think it could effect your tournament play.

I didn't keep score that way (minutes + score)... but I've done it. As far as I know I still hold the record for Sylmar... I ran Sylmar with two discs (a roc and a road runner) in 17:30 and shot -3.

Here in Asheville there is a pitch and putt course I run (Boncombe County Sports Complex). It's a SHORT 6 hole course... I ran 3 laps (18 holes) in 12:44 and got a 2 on 15 of the holes, and a 3 on 3 of the holes (I would say -15... but the holes are too short to be Par 3's... so???).

It's funny how well you can actually play when you're heart is beating a million miles an hour and you're out of breath.
DSCJNKY

I have a buddy who is amazing in terms of speed disc. He doesn't run rounds; but walks quite fast and always has. He's still doing this, and has been at it for more than 20 years. However, the speed (or lack there of) of tourney play disrupts him considerably. He rarely plays tourneys any more; primarily because of this. You will notice that lots of the masters and especially the grand masters that are still playing are largely these types of people; especially the ones that are still playing tourney quality disc at an advanced age. I used to run/speed walk rounds fairly often if playing alone, and still play quick solo rounds...but, I hardly ever play solo rounds any more. When playing with my bud mentioned above and his roommate, rounds are pretty quick. I, on the other hand, do not mind playing at tourney/league pace most of the time.

I played in one tournament and had to hang it up after the first round. I could not stand the pace. Never again. Waiting around is for ball golf.

It would depend on the course. I could run 1-18 at Calvert Road in around 6 minutes (no throwing), but to run Brandywine or Carousel would take over 12 minutes.
At Iron Hill the distance from pin to basket is nearly 2 miles, that does not count the distance from basket to next pin or distance veered off path for discs.

Here is some info on this topic: Running the course

Essentially you're scoring equals 1 minute = 1 point, one stroke = 1 point.

If you ran the course in 50 minutes with 50 strokes your score = 100.

If you ran in 40 minutes but took 60 strokes...your score is still 100.

You should use a stop watch for best results.

\/\/

from thread mentioned above

My fastest round was a 15 minute 9 holes at Willow Mill Park. It's only 2144 ft. and par 27. I played the course 4 times one morning. The last time through I played the speed round and shot a -3, one better than my other lowest score.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2429

I really enjoyed it. I'm in much better shape now than I was when I played it so I might have a few more speed rounds in me at other courses. But probably not the Woodshed and Whippin' Post. Trying to speed through them would kill me. :D

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=95
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1910

It would depend on the course. I could run 1-18 at Calvert Road in around 6 minutes (no throwing), but to run Brandywine or Carousel would take over 12 minutes.
At Iron Hill the distance from pin to basket is nearly 2 miles, that does not count the distance from basket to next pin or distance veered off path for discs.

Here is some info on this topic: Running the course

I can only imagine you trying to run Brandywine or Carousel in 12 minutes, the hills at Brandywine would be just brutal! Calvert is conducive to speed golf because its so flat and short and well shaded. I did Rockburn once and thought I was going to die, but Im not much of a runner anyway. Although I did score well which surprised me.

That would be running for time, no discs, no distractions, no dogs running after me around Carousel.
Carousel is longer, but Brandywine is tougher to run, so it would be pretty similar times.

For those who are not familiar with these courses, an average two-some will take over 2 hours.

Last edited:
I definitely don't run courses, but my play style is, let's say, "uptempo." The slower I go the more I think about each throw and the worse I play. Get me up to speed on an empty course by myself and I'm golden. Otherwise, not so much.