• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed golf

I often play speedy just because I get out of classes late afternoon and we start running out of sunlight.

I often play speedy just because I get out of classes late afternoon and we start running out of sunlight.

I love playing right before sunset and seeing how many rounds you can get in before it gets too dark for non-glow discs. It's especially nice in the summer when that's the coolest part of the day (that I'm awake for).

DG Resources

A Word document with the Speed Rules (for Singles and Doubles) can be found at my Yahoo group DG Resources in the Files section. There's also a Word doc with the Triangle NC Speed records there too.

I was thinking about this a few months ago, when playing a hurried round. I guess I wasn't the first. Sounds cool, like the disc golfer's version of biathalon.

I checked out some of the scores, man that's moving. Not in that kind of shape now.

I was thinking about this a few months ago, when playing a hurried round. I guess I wasn't the first. Sounds cool, like the disc golfer's version of biathalon.

I checked out some of the scores, man that's moving. Not in that kind of shape now.

Maybe I'm biased, but running and throwing discs sounds inherently less silly than skiing and shooting. Then again, if speed golf is a silly enough sport it may be our ticket into the olympics...

My brother ran a 20:31 round at Houck's Rolling Meadow last weekend. I think he shot 73 (+10). We have measured it via aerial photo right at 2.0 miles, maybe a little bit plus or minus.

That performance is WAY more impressive than me doing 23:13 and shooting 64 (+1).

I guess I just value the speed way more than the golf. I mean, just throwing 9 more times than me cost him a lot of time.

I've been fighting some sciatica the past couple weeks, so I've decided in lieu of a standard round to mix some discing with some jogging. I just grab two Aviars out of the bag and alternate throwing them at the home course when I get off work in the morning.

I haven't run the whole course yet, but on the holes I've done, I'm stunned how I do almost as good scoring wise with just putters while jogging continuously.

A friend and I played Dorton Park (Concord, NC) with one disc and running each hole. We thought a good rule would be to multiply your score by the time in hours. It is surprising how your score doesn't suffer that much when you run the course.

A tourney could be run with a staggered start or with a shot gun start. I personally would just count the time actually playing the holes and not the time between them. This would eliminate the issue of playing into the group in front of you but you would have to say as soon as the hole is clear you have to throw. Or you could play it like skins where you win holes if you play in pairs.

I have a new one for Charlotte-area speed golfers: The TriathELON. That's all 3 Elon configs back-to-back-to-back.

I'm not a fast runner at all, but I'll post my best so you all have something to beat.

Total Time = 54:15, Total Score = 5-under

Eager Beaver Short Tees = 5-under (49) in 12:47
Eager Beaver Long Tees = 2-under (52) in 15:07
Angry Beaver = 2-over (68) in 26:21

Ive seen one guy ever doing it on my home course, but ya'll are making it sound pretty useful with the "physical training" side of it. only thing that bugs me is that i cant a) smoke, and b) bring only less discs. i think i gotta bring at least a putter/mid/driver, otherwise thats just bad practice.

ill try to get my first speed golf times up today, sounds like a healthy idea.

When I was younger and played a round with only one disc, we used to throw, then run to our discs and throw again, sometimes doing 3 rounds in a row this way. Now that I'm older, I prefer a slower more relaxed pace and wouldn't want to run around carrying a bag of discs.

Reigning Maryland Speed Golf champ(for at least one more week) weighing in...

Speed golf is perfect for the disc golfer who likes to exercise, and doesnt have a ton of free time.

We have our second speed tournament this Saturday; the RUNisher!!

I can relate to this. Most of my solo rounds are under an hour unless I'm goofing off or throwing multiple discs. The 3-hour tournament rounds drive me up the wall. I've never understood why so many people take so much time to throw their discs.

I have a buddy who is amazing in terms of speed disc. He doesn't run rounds; but walks quite fast and always has. He's still doing this, and has been at it for more than 20 years. However, the speed (or lack there of) of tourney play disrupts him considerably. He rarely plays tourneys any more; primarily because of this. You will notice that lots of the masters and especially the grand masters that are still playing are largely these types of people; especially the ones that are still playing tourney quality disc at an advanced age. I used to run/speed walk rounds fairly often if playing alone, and still play quick solo rounds...but, I hardly ever play solo rounds any more. When playing with my bud mentioned above and his roommate, rounds are pretty quick. I, on the other hand, do not mind playing at tourney/league pace most of the time.

I can relate to this. Most of my solo rounds are under an hour unless I'm goofing off or throwing multiple discs. The 3-hour tournament rounds drive me up the wall. I've never understood why so many people take so much time to throw their discs.

Yeah, that drives me crazy too. They mark their discs, go to the bag, take forever to pick a disc, go back to the mini, pump a few times, back to the bag for a different disc etc..... WTF! Get your dam disc and throw it already!

Yeah, that drives me crazy too. They mark their discs, go to the bag, take forever to pick a disc, go back to the mini, pump a few times, back to the bag for a different disc etc..... WTF! Get your dam disc and throw it already!

Putting is the worst. If I don't release my putt within 10 seconds of taking my stance, I'm almost certainly going to miss. Yet there are people out there who do whatever they can to take as much time as they can with their putts. Just watching them raises my blood pressure, especially when I'm behind them waiting to tee off. Pace of play is one of the main reasons I don't play many tournaments.

There was an A tier yesterday near Baltimore called the Patapsco Punisher (pros played the infamous Green Monster layout twice). They're following this next week with the Runisher, where the winner is determined by a combination of time to complete the course and the score. Check out md-discgolf.com for details.

I have a new one for Charlotte-area speed golfers: The TriathELON. That's all 3 Elon configs back-to-back-to-back.

I'm not a fast runner at all, but I'll post my best so you all have something to beat.

Total Time = 54:15, Total Score = 5-under

Eager Beaver Short Tees = 5-under (49) in 12:47
Eager Beaver Long Tees = 2-under (52) in 15:07
Angry Beaver = 2-over (68) in 26:21

Impressive. :clap: I would enjoy a speed round on Eager Beaver. Angry Beaver, not so much.

Let me say some of these times are really impressive. Looks like you need to be good at both cross country running and disc golf to score well.

Putting is the worst. If I don't release my putt within 10 seconds of taking my stance, I'm almost certainly going to miss. Yet there are people out there who do whatever they can to take as much time as they can with their putts. Just watching them raises my blood pressure, especially when I'm behind them waiting to tee off. Pace of play is one of the main reasons I don't play many tournaments.

Pace of play. Well put. Not running through the course like a crazed teenager, or creeping around taking 10 miutes for every throw, but moving at a steady rate.

I like to play in tournaments, but you need a different mindset. Oh, and some medicinals help too!

Let me say some of these times are really impressive. Looks like you need to be good at both cross country running and disc golf to score well.

I'd say it definitely helps to be a good golfer. The more you can stay on the fairway, the better. Even the best cross country guy would get tired as hell if he was spraying discs left and right.
DSCJNKY