• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spider Webs?

Pros: Multiple tee pads, restrooms, disc golf store on site

Cons: Navigation was difficult for a 1st time player, spider webs blocking the fairways

discs_2.gif

If the web is in front of your lie, you can't remove it per the rules. However, your follow-thru can strike it if it's close enough. From a practical standpoint, I might be inclined to walk forward of my lie to the basket and count steps back to my lie on a putt and just happen to walk thru the web on my way back.

I would just do this... and just act "shocked" when I got the web-facial.
DSCJNKY

I had this on Sunday with a huge spider web crossing the fairway, right in my line of fire, maybe 30' off the tee. It was a test of my concentration to ignore it and just throw through it. I failed the test.

My guess (uneducated, unwashed individual's opinion disclaimer): if within the reach of the stance, it can be removed under 'dangerous animal' if spider is present, and under 'debris' if it is not. If out of the stance, it should be left undisturbed. If a disc hits one in flight, it is irrelevant. (Otherwise, you're racking up penalties on wooded holes like crazy, especially if you're the first of the day)
Wait, what if a disc is under a web after a throw? Is it a lost disc, unplayable lie, or can that web be destroyed under the two clauses I already mentioned?

More practically, is a spider web really an "obstacle"? Is "obstacle" defined somewhere? I'd think it would have to be something capable of affecting the flight of the disc and, at least around here, they don't.

And pragmatically....I can't imagine anyone calling a penalty for damaging a spider web, nor a TD supporting the call.

I was playing this week and there was a huge web with a huge spider just behind #7 tee at clarco state park. you had to almost walk thru it to get to the tee. My brother pulled it down. If you were standing on the tee you would have a giant spider just behind and above you. Kind of distracting.

Here's a preliminary comment from head of the RC:

Conrad: "I'd classify spider webs under "debris" since they should be classified as a casual obstacle that you can either remove or get relief from if it's in or behind your lie. If it's in front of your lie, there's no relief, just as with any other obstacle that's in your flight path but not in your lie."

If the web is in front of your lie, you can't remove it per the rules.

The rules demand that I throw my shot through the web, likely killing an innocent creature? Intentionally killing an innocent creature? What kind of penalty can I take to not murder a spider? Where is PETA in this conversation? If a child in a stroller without a guardian around is in front of the basket, do I have to putt with the stroller in the way?

The stroller thing was hyperbolic. But what if there's a balde eagle's nest in the bottom of the basket? I have to putt with it in the basket? Isn't that a federal offense if I break an egg? So I can either take a penalty for moving it, or be disqualified for breaking a law?

The stroller thing was hyperbolic. But what if there's a balde eagle's nest in the bottom of the basket? I have to putt with it in the basket? Isn't that a federal offense if I break an egg? So I can either take a penalty for moving it, or be disqualified for breaking a law?

More hyperbolic.

My guess (uneducated, unwashed individual's opinion disclaimer): if within the reach of the stance, it can be removed under 'dangerous animal' if spider is present, and under 'debris' if it is not. If out of the stance, it should be left undisturbed. If a disc hits one in flight, it is irrelevant. (Otherwise, you're racking up penalties on wooded holes like crazy, especially if you're the first of the day)
Wait, what if a disc is under a web after a throw? Is it a lost disc, unplayable lie, or can that web be destroyed under the two clauses I already mentioned?

Here's a preliminary comment from head of the RC:

Conrad: "I'd classify spider webs under "debris" since they should be classified as a casual obstacle that you can either remove or get relief from if it's in or behind your lie. If it's in front of your lie, there's no relief, just as with any other obstacle that's in your flight path but not in your lie."

Called it.:thmbup:

SpiderWeb800a.jpg
So lets say this big ass Banana spider and his big ass web are 5 ft out from end of T-box. I can't tear it down, OK. I rip perfect shot right thru that mother and park my disc next to the basket.

Now let's say, oh I don't know, mudslinger looks up notices that Mr. big ass Banana spider is now dead on the ground, do I get a penalty?

So lets say this big ass Banana spider and his big ass web are 5 ft out from end of T-box. I can't tear it down, OK. I rip perfect shot right thru that mother and park my disc next to the basket.

Now let's say, oh I don't know, mudslinger looks up notices that Mr. big ass Banana spider is now dead on the ground, do I get a penalty?

No. But you killed a spider to save 2 strokes on your round. I wouldn't sleep very well that night.

Preserving nature is a huge concern when designing a course, but means nothing when determining rules of play? Hypocrisy?

Latest posts