• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spit-outs. Flaw, or part of the game?

Are spit-outs a flaw in basket design, or just part of the game?

• Flaw in basket design

Votes: 80 39.8%
  • Part of the game that should be accepted

Votes: 121 60.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hammer

* Ace Member *
I'm just curious what people think. Do you think that spit-outs on the current basket designs are just part of the game (and shouldn't be eliminated), or is it a flaw that should be eliminated? This isn't meant to attack anyone.

By "spit-outs", I don't mean a putt that hits high and left that didn't stay. I'm talking about hitting the sweet spot of the chains, and the putt either bounces off the pole or trickles out the back.

I believe that "sweet spot spitouts" are a flaw that have become accepted as part of the game and can be eliminated without compromising the game we all know.

Good thread idea, i'm excited to see how the voting goes on this.

I think it's all part of the game. Hypothetically I could hit the sweet spot on any given basket 100 times and never have a spit out, but a million other people could hit the sweet spot on the same basket and have any number of spit outs.

NOW, if someone is having a spit out on a certain brand of basket all the time, every round, a few times a round, THEN I think it is the players fault for not adjusting their game accordingly. If anyone can pick a pro basket that "spits out" all the time at a course they play, I say they aren't as good of a putter as they make themselves out to be. You have to adapt to anything and everything.

NOW, if someone is having a spit out on a certain brand of basket all the time, every round, a few times a round, THEN I think it is the players fault for not adjusting their game accordingly. If anyone can pick a pro basket that "spits out" all the time at a course they play, I say they aren't as good of a putter as they make themselves out to be. You have to adapt to anything and everything.

I completely agree with this.

I completely agree with this.

To expand on that....after watching the Feldberg vid..... There definitely is room for basket improvement, BUT we all play on the same baskets together AND new baskets will not be installed at every course if and when someone designs a "perfect" basket. We will always be playing on possibly "flawed" baskets forever, guaranteed. Someone will find a flaw with a "perfect" basket too.....Which still leads me to my decision of It's all part of the game!

Part of the game. if you took a little off the putt it prob wouldnt spit. In ball golf the ball will sometimes go in and then out but they dont make the hole bigger. get your speed and accuracy on point and it wont spit. now single chain spit outs or blow throughs are a different animal. if you are playing on champ style double chain baskets and you spit out then you did something wrong.

To expand on that....after watching the Feldberg vid..... There definitely is room for basket improvement, BUT we all play on the same baskets together AND new baskets will not be installed at every course if and when someone designs a "perfect" basket. We will always be playing on possibly "flawed" baskets forever, guaranteed. Someone will find a flaw with a "perfect" basket too.....Which still leads me to my decision of It's all part of the game!

Couldn't agree with you more. Spit-outs are just a part of the game, and people should accept them rather than making a scene about it and blaming the basket design.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but as much as they may frustrate people, they're part of the game, just like any other sport that has some element of luck or chance.

Plenty of ball golfers putt too hard and it lips out or skips out, basketball, hockey, football, soccer and most other major sports you have bad referee or umpire calls.

As much as we may not like them, spit outs show you that those seemingly perfect putts aren't really perfect and force players to improve their putting.

If you putt too hard right at the center chains, you'll hit the pole and bounce out quite a bit. Either aim further right to avoid the pole, or soften your putt a bit. It you hyzer it too much and it cuts through the chains, well then put a bit more anhyzer on it to flatten it out.

We all think it should be in the basket and count when you hit good chains, but it keeps it more challenging for everyone when you have spitouts IMO. If it was a perfect putt, then it would hit and stay in. Most of the putts that spit out are either too hard or hyzering into the chains, both or which can be controlled by the player.

Tim S.

Part of the game. if you took a little off the putt it prob wouldnt spit. In ball golf the ball will sometimes go in and then out but they dont make the hole bigger. get your speed and accuracy on point and it wont spit. now single chain spit outs or blow throughs are a different animal. if you are playing on champ style double chain baskets and you spit out then you did something wrong.

Agreed! There is so much physics that go into any given "perfect putt", that who's to say that your putt wasn't flawed just enough to spit out. Feldberg didn't even hit the center and complained. How can someone prove that the basket is flawed when there's so much going into the infinite amount of ways that a disc can hit the chains

First off someone needs to post the Tali Open video where at 6:45 Nate Doss' dead center perfect putt is spit out. This will help remove the inevitable thread drift of an idea that spawned it's own threads in the past (are spit-outs even real or are these putts just not actually good putts?)

I believe spit-outs are a current part of the game but not One that we need to accept as something we can't move forward from. Some argue that with spit-outs we need to accept that everyone is equally effected and that not only do we not need to fix them but for some reason it would be negative to do so. To me this would be the same argument as someone arguing that all disc technology since a certain era (whether it be 1990 or 2002) is key to our roots and therefore we shouldn't move forward as our newer technology (further flying and more durable) doesn't meet the original spirit of our sport.

Reducing spit-outs is a very positive step for the progression of the sport where it doesn't conflict with the spirit of the sport. I don't believe advancing disc technology or approved basket designs (e.g. Arroyo disc sports) conflict with this at all; as we even have a governing body approving these according to standards that help maintain disc golfs standards.

You gotta take into account the type of baskets on any given course and play accordingly. When it matters, everyone is playing the same course anyway. While that newfangled vortex may be better without taking anything away from the game, this sport is all about variety and affordability, so itll never become the standard.
IMO there are holes that should have their outer chains removed to make worthwhile par 3s, and add some extra variety.

Last edited:
Team "Part of the game" is on a roll! Here is another video of what other sport's have to deal with:)

Status
Not open for further replies.