• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Stable/Finesse/woodsy mids

MVP Axis (straight stable) and MVP Vector (stable to overstable) are also very nice combo. Axis is like a little bit faster beat in dx Roc. Some say it's a Buzzz clone (never thrown it). Vector for me is like fresh Roc. Nice glide and nice gliding fade too.

Hmm I've never considered a Panther... How do they feel? Flat/domey?

The older Panthers I described with the relatively higher PLH are not flat but not domey, either. Newer Panthers (with lower PLHs) have a bit more dome, but not a really big dome. The feel is fine, at least to me. Panthers have a concave underside rim, but not as pronounced as a Roc3, Cobra, or Comet.

The Wombat 3 has a flight similar to the Impact but a true fast midrange speed.

The Wombat3 (mine is in Star plastic) is a good disc, but might be more understable than what the OP is looking for.

For really powered down shots for me Cobra. I used to use a 175g cobra on every shot going through my learning experience in the beginning.

Now I use an Emac Truth (if I need some distance) and a Star Spider (windy days, long putts, lay ups)

My P-Line MD3 had that S flight after one round with it, the S-Line will probably have some of that flight as well. You could also throw shallow flex lines with your Rocs

A flat ESP Comet (the older ones, not the new swirly 2018 and later runs) is more squirrely than its counterparts - that is, they turn a bit and fade a bit, with a little less glide and a little more speed.

A more consistent option would be a heavier Tursas in premium. Monster glide, and when thrown from a slight hyzer or even flat I would expect it to end to the left RHBH.

I'd suggest a Gateway Diamond Element. Super underrated disc imo. I have a bit of a love affair with neutral mids and at one time or another the element, comet, or mako3 has been my favorite disc. Overall I find the element to have just as much glide as a comet and for me less touchy.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Squall. Definitely one of the best midranges I have tried. If you are familiar with Discmania's FD, it reminds me of the mid-range version of that.

I would put the Squall's flight at -1, 1 than -2,2. It is really versatile and sneaky long.

I'd recommend an ESP Buzzz or a Z Meteor. Meteor doesn't fight back too much but I have had a lot of luck throwing them on a high anhyzer and having them fight out a bit to flat towards the end. Every comet I've thrown has held that shot to the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MD3 for sure. It's like a Mako3 but with more backbone. Just os enough to have a consistent finish but it pairs really nicely with the finessey glide the disc has. Definitely a must for any wooded course imo.

King Cobra has some stability, but is very workable. It's also beaded like a Comet and Roc. DX Cobras are awesome, but beat in quickly. DX Sharks are awesome as well, but they will have a different feel from what you have been throwing. Legacy Gauge flies similar to a comet, but a bit faster with more stability, especially the more firm ones. MD3 will start stable and beat in to a pretty workable disc.

Honestly I think you'll have a hard time finding a mid with that little HSS but with enough LSS to hook up hard at the end. That being said, the Evidence for me is -0.5/0.5 but given some extra air and thrown with a touch of anny can fly like -2/2.

Also, I've bagged (or currently bag) quite a few of the other suggestions on this thread and I find many of those suggestions surprising. I would never have described a McGlow Roc3, Emac Truth, or Verdict as what you're looking for. They're all perfectly fine discs, but Emac and Verdict I think are significantly more OS than what you want and McGlow Roc3 to me flew like a Mako 3 once I beat the new off of it...so basically 0/0.

Have you tried a glow z comet? I use a flat one for exactly the slot you're talking about. For something a tick more stable than a comet and a tick faster I use a VIP warship. Great for touchy woods shots that need more stability than a glow z comet

Surprised no one has mentioned the Claymore by Latitude 64. I have one in Opto and it's great off the pad. Nice and stable, easy to throw with a predictable/gentle fade. Sneaky long too.

I am very fond of the Mako3, but find the Claymore can handle a bit more power without turning over. Might just be the difference between Star and Opto plastic??

I use my Mako3 99% of the time when I'm in a scramble position. It's such a familiar disc for me. However, if my lie is open and I need a little more distance & fade I reach for the Claymore.

Honestly I think you'll have a hard time finding a mid with that little HSS but with enough LSS to hook up hard at the end. That being said, the Evidence for me is -0.5/0.5 but given some extra air and thrown with a touch of anny can fly like -2/2.

So OP wants more fade than a Comet but more HST than a mako. I agree with aphilso that such a disc probably to find in a mid. If you really want this flight in a disc, probably more likely to find/better to move up to an understable fairway driver. Trying to envision the flex line described I could see hyzerflip something like an underworld. OR throw a high, maybe nose up, anny flex line like aphilso suggested. I sometimes throw that shot with my Relay FWIW.

If you have to have a mid for these shots, I would keep working that shot with all your current mids, just maybe approach it differently if you can. You can post holes in question here or in technique section on how others would attack it...

DGA Squall or L64 Claymore would likely fit the description OP provided.

I pair aftershocks with comets and have paired dx rocs in the past, both of those could work too. Most comets don't really have much fade (the MJ ESP comets probably have the most I've seen) so if you want that I think a different mold would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Have you tried a glow z comet? I use a flat one for exactly the slot you're talking about. For something a tick more stable than a comet and a tick faster I use a VIP warship. Great for touchy woods shots that need more stability than a glow z comet

This is what I was going to say. The metal flake MJ Comets are a touch less stable than the newer glow MJ Comets. Try that!