• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star/Champion Blended Boss?

VeeAreSix

Par Member
I got a buddy who goes down to the Innova factory in SC and he picked up a 175g Star/Champion blend Boss. Was curious if anyone's heard of a blend like this. This disc is marked 175 STAR BO. He said the employee's of Innova said they produce maybe 3 or 4 like this a year. The disc is transparent in the middle and feels like it could be a blend. I've just never seen or heard of this in my 11 years of discin.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_20110411_194253.jpg

IMG_20110412_152856.jpg

Are these hybrid blends just a few discs they end up making at the time when they're getting done making Star discs and are starting to make Champ discs? So the plastics get mixed in the machine for a little bit and you get a few discs that are "blended." I really don't know, I'm actually asking.

No that is what star plastic is. Yes, they make champy star plastoc discs. Im assuming they also just add a lot more.champion to the blend for these. Is like to know more about them too though.

I wanted to post this on the PDGA board as well since Dave from Innova answers questions on that board. Too bad they won't let me post on there for some reason and my number is current lol

we get these things in different molds ALL the time from westcoast so i dont really know how rare they are but they sure do feel good!

Could this be like a Boss XG? My cubicle neighbor has been discing longer than me and has seen those around before and they look just like that.

I have a number of Discmania Champy-Star PDs. That's a cool color for it too. One of the most common colors for this type of blended plastic tends to be the red stuff.

I have a very nice boss that is somewhat like this blend ..

I believe this is Maybe a first run .. like the Pumkin Destroyers ...
ither way i know the star boss was released 3.2.09 and this is a 2009 .....

DSCF4673.jpg

Disc is More Translucent in Person ...

Champy Star Boss's are pretty common in the last couple of years.

Here is a thread about them from February this year,
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29431&highlight=char

and one from last June
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16806&highlight=char

I'm a fan. Star plastic historically has been very thick and opaque, its always been hard to notice the Champion plastic in the mix, but these Boss's look more like Champion than Star, that makes them a little different.

Lots of people try to pass this off as "exotic" or "rare" but its really not, its just a more Champy blend. These discs do lack the outstanding grippiness of the gummier, milky Star blend, but they do gain stability with the extra Champ in the mix.

i know your buddy and ive held that very disc in my hand. i almost bought it from him even though i dont throw boss's. very different feel to it. i did buy some sweet friggin destroyers from him though.