• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Katana

Sucked it up and sent for a fundraiser pro 170. Threw it yesterday. I easily got more distance downwind and sidewind than the boss. This disc has great glide. Of course you have to haver a smooth release to see the best results. Now if the star is more stable I want some to sell at my course. It used to be a rule that there were so many available to the public before it was legal in competitive events. Since when was that changed to fundraisers? If you spend the big bucks you gain an advantage. Sounds like we have gone back to '83 when the Calif. guys showed up at worlds and dominated with the Aero That no one else had.

So I bought a 175g Star Katana at the local store for $20. The stamp is nothing to write home about, and I've thrown it all of twice, but my first impression was "man, that disc is quick!" and "damn it, that's twice now I've released it early." It's got a really shallow rim, so you may need to grip it a little firmer than other drivers, but even with my early (and therefore left-erring and underpowered) release, it's already clear to me that this disc is a good deal less overstable than than the boss, groove, destroyer, etc. It's certainly not what I'd call "flippy," but I'll have to throw it a little more before I can comfortably compare it against say, the Wraith or the Surge. It's also brand spankin' new, so I don't know how it will beat. Looks like it has some promise, though. :)

Last edited:
Who cares what a disc looks like. If a disc has something silly on it, I would still throw it if it was a great flying disc.

Because you have to look at it every time you take it out of your bag and might as well like what you see. Why you dogging on a guys opinion?

I would throw a pink disc with Hanna Montana on it, if I thought it was going to lower my score.

a real man throws a football... but disc golfers are godly.

not a knock on football... im just bitter because its been an awful football season for Jayhawk and Chief fans...

a real man throws a football... but disc golfers are godly.

not a knock on football... im just bitter because its been an awful football season for Jayhawk and Chief fans...

Im a Texans fan I feel your pain, by the way I like the Star Katana sorry to for the thread jack.

I just got my second run katana in the mail yesterday. Threw it in the field a couple of times. It sure is fun to throw and I could see how broken in a little it may find its way into my bag however there is rarely ever a time in a game when I am thinking to myself, boy I sure could use some more distance. Every course I play is heavily wooded, unless this katana will cut through trees I don't think it will help!

Understable discs are awesome, easy controllable distance without much power. Sure you can flip it over, however throw it easy with a little hyzer and it is magic.

Can't you all just feel the love in here?

HEHEhehe... I just noticed thier both from Texas...:D