• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Katana

Probably more holes Per capita than most places.............I have 8 in my backyard

So I bought a 175g Star Katana at the local store for $20. The stamp is nothing to write home about, and I've thrown it all of twice, but my first impression was "man, that disc is quick!" and "damn it, that's twice now I've released it early." It's got a really shallow rim, so you may need to grip it a little firmer than other drivers, but even with my early (and therefore left-erring and underpowered) release, it's already clear to me that this disc is a good deal less overstable than than the boss, groove, destroyer, etc. It's certainly not what I'd call "flippy," but I'll have to throw it a little more before I can comfortably compare it against say, the Wraith or the Surge. It's also brand spankin' new, so I don't know how it will beat. Looks like it has some promise, though. :)

2 questions...
what would you rate the disc, its currently rated as 13,5,-3,3?

how would you describe the flight vs. other discs?
(Flies like a sidewinder but 50' longer, flies like ....?)

Questions about the katana:

who is it for?

Do I need to throw 300', 350' 400' ?
Do I need to get that distance flat? anny? hyzer flip?

Danke

2 questions...
what would you rate the disc, its currently rated as 13,5,-3,3?

how would you describe the flight vs. other discs?
(Flies like a sidewinder but 50' longer, flies like ....?)

Questions about the katana:

who is it for?

Do I need to throw 300', 350' 400' ?
Do I need to get that distance flat? anny? hyzer flip?

Danke

Id like to know the same things, anyone??? bump bumpity bump bump

Long New mold Beast. lol

I'd never throw a new mold beast BTW

Seriously though it would be good for someone throwing 350 max who can handle a Valk without too much flip.

I just recieved my second run Katana, It is really fun to throw this disc. It is very fast and not as stable as the boss. Feels better in the hand than the boss or the groove.

The second run is made of a gummy champion material that rocks my socks. I am probably going to have to order another as you know innova, every run is differant.

I just recieved my second run Katana, It is really fun to throw this disc. It is very fast and not as stable as the boss. Feels better in the hand than the boss or the groove.

The second run is made of a gummy champion material that rocks my socks. I am probably going to have to order another as you know innova, every run is differant.

Actually every disc is different you just have to learn to spot the characteristics and how they effect the flight.

So look at every disc and pick the one that feels and looks the best.

Long New mold Beast. lol

I'd never throw a new mold beast BTW

Seriously though it would be good for someone throwing 350 max who can handle a Valk without too much flip.

given this chart.... it flies like a beast.... (Beast Rating: 10,5,-2,2 - Katana: 13,5,-3,3)
speed-10a.gif

and (hypotetically speaking) -
if you throw a beast 300' you could expect another 25-30, out of the box?

if that's right, i am not sure it will beat my SL. (you know i will buy one and surely try... =-)

can someone confirm?

Last edited:
Personally I'd rate it the same speed and turn and glide as innova, but maybe 2 fade at most. I'm still very new, but I can still throw this(no meathook) pretty easily. Worked great on an anhyzer today on the bomb hole(3 at hiestand park). I thought I was too harsh on the angle, but it soared out went flat and just went way out so nicely. I think I have a new disc to use for that hole. Though this is the champ, but shouldn't be a huge dif.

That's something that bothers me...My second run stamped one doesn't have a really gummy champ material :(. Feels just the same as my others except the flight plate is more floppy.

Well my Star Katana is either the fastest disc I've ever thrown, or it's got way more glide and less fade than anything in its class. Could be Innova's answer to the Surge. Mine isn't flipping (yet), though it's a 175g disc, and it's flying pretty much straight with a gentle late fade. Nothing at all like the nose dive a Boss or an Orc will take. If I were rating it, I'd give it a speed 13 at the least, and a Fade of 2 at the most. Turnover of maybe -1, Glide of maybe 5 or 6 (if there can be such a high number for glide).

For you Atlanta folks, let me give you a reference point on a local course. You know how #5 at Oregon Park is about 320' uphill to the basket on that little knoll at the top of the park? Well I was playing from the White tee, and I figured I'd try my Katana out yesterday. I gave it about an 80-90% pull so I didn't go wild with it. Immediately upon release I thought "oh crap, I threw it short in the woods," because I'd put too much loft in it with a weak release. To my surprise, the disc kept going and going, a good second longer than any other disc in my bag would have on that line, and landed on top of the knoll just short of the trash can, maybe 30' from the basket. I missed the birdie putt, but that was my fault.

Actually there is one disc I know of Lewis that has such a high glide already and that would be the archangel.(so innova's glide does go up to 6)