• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Katana

I just picked a 172 star Katana up in East Michigan.

I haven't thrown it yet, but hoping it finds a home. My main driver is a 173 ESP Crush, followed closely by a FLX XL. My big bag has a Force, Crush, Flash, Stalker, XL, Apache, Illusion and a QJLS. Some discs float in and out of the bag, but the Crush and XL are permanent.

no manufacturing origin on my disc.

the only information my disc says is -
"Innova Champion Discs, Inc. WWW.INNOVADISCS.COM"

do you think they learned from the Roc (Ontario vs. Rancho vs. San Marino) brouhaha and decided NOT to include that information on future presses?

Does anyone have a katana with an origin?

no manufacturing origin on my disc.

the only information my disc says is -
"Innova Champion Discs, Inc. WWW.INNOVADISCS.COM"

do you think they learned from the Roc (Ontario vs. Rancho vs. San Marino) brouhaha and decided NOT to include that information on future presses?

Does anyone have a katana with an origin?

Hmm, didn't notice that...just looked at my second run and same thing :\. But the rocs do actually have differences in the mold where as others may be slightly different, but not so much so that it should really effect their flight.

Mine say Hiroshima on the bottom.

jk, good eye. I have one champ and one pro and they say the same as yours.

Is anyone saving a mint condition first run pro? Or are they all being thrown?

I've got one to throw and one first not to throw. I know it silly...

Pro is quite a bit more domy than the champ.

Mine say Hiroshima on the bottom.

jk, good eye. I have one champ and one pro and they say the same as yours.

Is anyone saving a mint condition first run pro? Or are they all being thrown?

I've got one to throw and one first not to throw. I know it silly...

Pro is quite a bit more domy than the champ.

Well I'm saving 1 second run to not throw, though I'm still bitter that it isn't gummy. Not to mention I payed for a non blem and it's got red blochyness in the flight plate. Not only that too...I did pay blem price, but that was because they missed my first 2nd run katana which should have been a blem. I think next time I call in to order from Hero discs I'm going to ask them to inspect it very carefully...or if they have a notes thing I may ask for that there.

I do understand though that they are pretty busy and only have 1 person who works the emails and phone...so it must be pretty small.

Last edited:
I am running into the same problem with Hero now. I just got a champ in the mail fom them that is definately a blemish as it has large specs in the material however I paid full price for it.

I just picked a 172 star Katana up in East Michigan.

I haven't thrown it yet, but hoping it finds a home. My main driver is a 173 ESP Crush, followed closely by a FLX XL. My big bag has a Force, Crush, Flash, Stalker, XL, Apache, Illusion and a QJLS. Some discs float in and out of the bag, but the Crush and XL are permanent.

Id say youll probably like it since it flies somewhat like a longer Crush.

I am running into the same problem with Hero now. I just got a champ in the mail fom them that is definately a blemish as it has large specs in the material however I paid full price for it.

im pretty sure it's innvoa who inspects and stamps the discs. hero is just the distributor. i don't think they have any say in what is and isnt a blem

im pretty sure it's innvoa who inspects and stamps the discs. hero is just the distributor. i don't think they have any say in what is and isnt a blem

Nope, when I had to call in they told me strait out that they do a second check...obviously they don't check very hard.

These are some specs but also literally around those is an area of red when it's a blue disc. I guess looking at it again it's not too bad and I didn't hassle with bothering them about it. Just bothered me that I was supposed to get a nice non flawed one and again was sent another one with issues, though at least its only aesthetic.

You guys may want to think about the weight if you get one. I have a few of them ranging from 168-175 and although I throw 175 in all my teebirds, valks, putters, I still am a lot more accurate with the 168g Katana. I think because of the super wide rim it is easier to throw in a lighter weight.

Again though that is just my experience and I may need to add that I dont throw that hard, more of a finesse thrower.

ditto

These are some specs but also literally around those is an area of red when it's a blue disc. I guess looking at it again it's not too bad and I didn't hassle with bothering them about it. Just bothered me that I was supposed to get a nice non flawed one and again was sent another one with issues, though at least its only aesthetic.

I dig the color inconsistancies

3 weeks later...

(I throw almost all of my drivers in the 170 range.)

170 Star Katana -
Despite my true ability to throw distance drivers, this disc is still my longest throwing disc. I do think, however, that the star plastic is adding a bit of overstability that actually works in my benefit as it doesnt become too understable.

How it flies... It flies a lot like a beat in boss or wraith in the first part of its flight. When the Boss/wraith would usually hook it continues for a much straighter cleaner hook. I've NEVER not had it come back.

My home course does have a slight wind in the upper elevations that tends to really disrupt flights. At ground level there is no wind, but 15-20' up the on shore ocean winds become noticable. This disc is "average" in the headwind/sidewind. Slight Tailwinds dont really seem to affect it too much.

The description of a finesse disc is accurate. It lands (generally) in the area you intend it to go. It does need some open space to travel (left to right).

I have found, however, that it is not really a "tabletop flat" throwing disc (although thats how i usually throw it.) It actually flies best and farthest when you put a slight hyzer on it and throw it like a super long bomber.
Innova's made a sidewinder for the pros, that when noobs throw it, it also happens to give them distance too. Make no mistake, this is STILL a pro level disc. I've watched a few of my buddies throw it, and the performance they get (as superior players) is similar but still different than mine.

None-the-less... Innova's made an "instant distance" disc for those of lesser arm strength, and another tool for those with godly arms. It's "finesse" style makes it slightly sloppy, and those with precision drives using Tbirds/eagles/etc will find it useful, but might not always use it.

It does make for a good "s"curve sidearm disc with a lot of distance.

Noobs - Must buy.....Instant Distance. (Innova's raised the bar and will get rich on this one.)
Pro's - Probably Buy. (It should give you the accuracy to "Getting close" in the super long ranges if you have the open space.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I've got a 167 and 168 sitting in storage waiting to fly. I am going to spend the next few months working on my form with putters, mids and 'fairway drivers' like my Leopard and Teebird. Once I think my form is somewhat improved I will be breaking my Katanas out. I am shooting for 300+ consistently from my Leopard and Teebird before I move up in speed. I've also got Valk's, Avengers, Surges and other goodies to try once I get a little better.

Latest posts