• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Katana

Innova website shows star katanas now in production. Weights down to 160 grams.

Confirmed by my distributor today, they should be your favorite stores next week.
No more paying a zillion dollars for a farting lemon.
Unless you want to, of course.

Confirmed by my distributor today, they should be your favorite stores next week.
No more paying a zillion dollars for a farting lemon.
Unless you want to, of course.

Well there were plenty of other versions of the star katana sold on hero disc's site. There were ones with the girl that was on the second runs on it, and some and some INNColor, which there is now a new Mask one I just noticed.

Field tested my x-outs yesterday and found them to be much less overstable than the champs and a tad more overstable than the Pros. Very nice and tasty disc! Was getting them out to 400' FH consistently! I think I'm in love...

Field tested my x-outs yesterday and found them to be much less overstable than the champs and a tad more overstable than the Pros. Very nice and tasty disc! Was getting them out to 400' FH consistently! I think I'm in love...
Was there any difference in distance that you noticed?

Anybody know if the regular run star has the same stability as the farting lemon star in comparible weights?

I'm surprised innova can get this mold down to 160 grams.

My Stars are MUCH flippier than the Champs I have. The champs are meathooks (more like a star boss) than the stars. The stars are like a heavy, new pro.

FWIW, I got the x-outs from DGVs. All 172g. Very flat.

I got a 171 Star Katana in today, and it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. The jump from Pro to Star was a little more than I expected. Speed 13 discs in general are a little too much for me, but the Pro never felt that way. The Star, however, did. It felt like I could never get it up to speed and it would start fading way too soon. The Pro was out-distancing it by a large margin on every throw. It worked pretty well forehand though.

I got a 171 Star Katana in today, and it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. The jump from Pro to Star was a little more than I expected. Speed 13 discs in general are a little too much for me, but the Pro never felt that way. The Star, however, did. It felt like I could never get it up to speed and it would start fading way too soon. The Pro was out-distancing it by a large margin on every throw. It worked pretty well forehand though.

This is my dilemma right now. I want a Katana to throw forehand, and one to throw backhand, but I only want to buy one to try first.
I'm not sure which way to go.
Lighter and less stable would be better for my backhand, but I need extra stable for forehand. It sounds like this disc would add distance to both styles for me, but what should I get ?
I really like the looks of the Selinske Masters champ discs, are they the most stable ones, or are the Echo Stars the biggest bricks in the Katana lineup ?

got a black ace the other day with my star katana. Was throwing in the practice area towards hole 17 and I skipped it in off the hill.

all stars take 2-5 very solid tree hits to straighten out. then 5-10 more to get "more flippy" and 5-10 more to turn into a roller disc.

I really love them when they are just about 2-3 "hits" past the "straight" phase and they act much like a super long teebird.

i have also found that when they hit the "more flippy stage" stop using them as a super power disc, lighten up on the power and continue to use them as "controlled" throw straight line flyers. (or rollers)

i write this as i use mine on a precision based course, so the "let it rip" as hard as you can and get max distance isnt as important as "finesse" placement.

I am experimenting with a Pro version at the moment,but there is a very clear durability difference.(the 5-10 rule becomes more like 3-6)

I finally picked up a 168g star this weekend. I've never thrown anything farther out of the box. Once it's beat in I think it will be a nice long straight driver for me. I was playing a couple of shorter/wooded courses so I'm anxious to get it out on a course where I can really cut it loose. Later when I'm playing at a lower altitude I might try it in a heavier star or comparable weight in champ so it doesn't turn over as easily.

I finally picked up a 168g star this weekend. I've never thrown anything farther out of the box. Once it's beat in I think it will be a nice long straight driver for me. I was playing a couple of shorter/wooded courses so I'm anxious to get it out on a course where I can really cut it loose. Later when I'm playing at a lower altitude I might try it in a heavier star or comparable weight in champ so it doesn't turn over as easily.

the long straight line, is what i consider a super long teebird shot...

if you want to get super max distance, you need to let it flip and then carry. The katana WILL ALWAYS COME BACK, the question is where it lands and how far into the flip it starts its turn. (Then it gets a super big flair skip to add more distance.

the katana ALWAYS comes back. it may flip way off course (if beaten up badly, or thrown wrong), but it will fade if it doesnt hit a tree.

I think the Katana mold has some potential, but compared to the various special runs that have come out, the first production Star run is crap. They all came out super flat. This really sucks the glide out of the mold. They come out of the hand fast, but start losing speed earlier in their flight than most other distance drivers. They are also too stable for what a Katana should be. Another ho-hum release from Innova as these suck about as much as the Grooves. I'll try them again when they come out with a dome on them and actually have the promise of glide.

I threw one yesterday for the first time. I honestly didn't believe the hype behind the disc. I was blown away by it. I was playing with someone that wanted to see what I could do with it and gave one to me on an open hole at my local course. I parked and birdied the 400' uphill hole for the first time ever. The disc that I threw was a 168 Star with the Pro Worlds stamp. It was a little beat from my friend's use, so I asked him if he had a new one that I could throw. He then let me throw a new production run 168 star. It didn't turn as much as the beat one obviously, but I think that with a little time, it would do the same thing.

I would compare it to a flippy beast. For comparison, I throw my beast around 350-360 on flat ground and the katana was much longer.

:wall: I don't need another disc...ok, I'll take two Katanas.

Maybe its time for me to change my sig because I quoted someone on that after the boss came out and everyone had to have one, but they weren't made for most disc golfers

Last edited:
got a 166...it is a ton flatter than the older runs and has massive fade but should be alright once it breaks in.

I think the Katana mold has some potential, but compared to the various special runs that have come out, the first production Star run is crap. They all came out super flat. This really sucks the glide out of the mold. They come out of the hand fast, but start losing speed earlier in their flight than most other distance drivers. They are also too stable for what a Katana should be. Another ho-hum release from Innova as these suck about as much as the Grooves. I'll try them again when they come out with a dome on them and actually have the promise of glide.

Really? I just had my longest throw (500') yesterday with one. Yes, they are very flat. Maybe an E* version would have more glide and carry, but it would also be a little flippier. That may cancel out any gains, as these are fairly flip-sensitive to begin with.

DS, just noticed that "domey" echo star katanas are on DGV's site. Just asked for one to be added to an order...we'll see how they stack up!

Really? I just had my longest throw (500') yesterday with one. Yes, they are very flat. Maybe an E* version would have more glide and carry, but it would also be a little flippier. That may cancel out any gains, as these are fairly flip-sensitive to begin with.

Yea, I love them and throw them line drive a little over 400. Weaker arms will not get much out of this first run of standard star katanas as they are fairly stable.

DS, just noticed that "domey" echo star katanas are on DGV's site. Just asked for one to be added to an order...we'll see how they stack up!

They probably bomb, but they may be flippy. If you could throw one of those 500', then you could probably throw other discs a lot further. I don't throw that far though, so I'm not sure (I need some wind or elevation to get near 500'...I probably got 470' last weekend in my tourney with my Echo Star Destroyer).

They probably bomb, but they may be flippy. If you could throw one of those 500', then you could probably throw other discs a lot further. I don't throw that far though, so I'm not sure (I need some wind or elevation to get near 500'...I probably got 470' last weekend in my tourney with my Echo Star Destroyer).

I got 475' or so with my E* bosses yesterday. My friend throws a lot of E* destroyers, so I might give 'em a try. I did throw an E* Wraith and it had TONS of glide, but has lots of turn. Maybe a little too much turn. It turned more on a 430' shot than my Katana did on a 500' shot.

How wide is the rim of the destroyer compared to the Katana? What about rim depth? That is a problem for me on the katanas. (The actual height of the rim to the flight plate.) Thoughts?

Latest posts