• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

State Rep Qualifying for USDGC

Clue

How is the qualifying handled in your state?

How would you like to see it done?

I'm in Iowa and we take the highest ranking Open player in the Iowa tour at the end of Aug (who isn't already qualified). This usually entails about 7-8 tournaments. It's $20 to join the Iowa Tour (you get a bag tag and are eligible for some prizes and a season ending tournament), and there is no money set aside for the qualifying rep. I certainly don't hate our method, but I don't love it either.

In Kentucky there's a state championship tournament every year. The highest placing Kentucky resident wins the USDGC spot. I'm not sure what Indiana does (because Kentucky is trying to annex southern Indiana, lol) but I believe it's a similar deal.

Ours has been based off all the in-state B-tiers and up throughout the year. The person placing 1st of all Texans in the event gets 20pts, 2nd 19. and so on with the player with the most points at the end of the year winning the invite.

I was lucky enough to win it last year and we have had State coordinator issues this year so hopefully there won't be any issues this time around.

In Kentucky there's a state championship tournament every year. The highest placing Kentucky resident wins the USDGC spot. I'm not sure what Indiana does (because Kentucky is trying to annex southern Indiana, lol) but I believe it's a similar deal.
Do you like the idea of having just a single event, or would you prefer a series?

I'm way impressed with this one. I like the idea of raising money for the players, however I think if a lot of money was raised I might divide amongst everyone from the state who qualified and not just the single representative.

*This is my understanding*
At The Championship on Aug. 7th there will be a payout just like at normal tournaments. I believe the top 1/3 of the field. All of the money raised goes to this payout.

Obviously, the winner of the tournament gets a trophy, cash, and trip to the USDGC.

They just had ours on the day of my womens tourney. Unsanctioned, winner gets the spot plus all the money raised in the tourney for spending cash.

In South Carolina, the state coordinator selects a different tournament each year to be the qualifier. It is generally a new course needing a boost of publicity and support, most often a private course. It has even been a proposed course---a temporary course, set up to show the community that a permanent course is warranted.

Though not required, traditionally the tournament pays the winner's USDGC entry fee.

Two-day tournament C/B tier, highest finishing TN Open player not already qualified.

Winner of the NY State C/Ship tourney is going.............. Congrats to Bobby Jones !!!

All the established DG clubs in NY put $$ together for his expenses too.

Two tournaments next weekend in Spoty. Sat. at Hawk Hollow, Sun. at Loriella. VA/DC players with designs on snatching the USDGA spot pay an extra $10 & play both events. Lowest aggregate score gets the spot & all of the $10s to use for expenses.

Crushes me that I'll be outta town. First Hawk Hollow event I will have not attended in a l-o-n-g time.

Ohio uses all b tiers and higher as a point system with the Brent hambrick NT event counting double. you get 1 point for each person you beat at the b or a tiers. We use your best 4 finishes and drop the rest and then 2 points for each person u beat at the hambrick as a total point value. tie breakers would be ur finish at the hambrick. highest point total takes the spot.

Do you like the idea of having just a single event, or would you prefer a series?

I personally like it as a single event better. A series is nice but you have to make all the events if you want a chance at the USDGC spot.

This is the Missouri info:
picture.php

I personally like it as a single event better. A series is nice but you have to make all the events if you want a chance at the USDGC spot.

I see what you are saying but what if the best players have a bad tournament and don't get to go although they have dominated most in-state events all year?

Latest posts