• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

When you use the word "better," it's always an opinion. In your opinion, it's better. Actual stats on number of courses only tells me just that. Nothing more.
Number of courses per capita is an actual hard number stat which will be even more accurate once the census is updated. Of course, your #1 player was imported from where else? the Midwest! Number of leagues and number of tournaments per capita, both stats. We can say that Oregon has more PDGA Board members per capita than anywhere. All numbers per capita are valid comparisons.

Number of courses per capita is an actual hard number stat which will be even more accurate once the census is updated. Of course, your #1 player was imported from where else? the Midwest! Number of leagues and number of tournaments per capita, both stats. We can say that Oregon has more PDGA Board members per capita than anywhere. All numbers per capita are valid comparisons.

I never doubted the stats. I doubted the assumptions and estimates that you are making. You must not read very well.

You are taking the stats and making assumptions. "Oh, well, this area has a lot of courses, so there must be a lot of disc golfers here." :\

Exactly. He lived in the Midwest but MOVED to Oregon. What are you going to assume about that one?

You can compare per capita stats all you want. But any assumptions that you make from the stats are just blowing smoke.

You didn't even comment on my quote. You used the word "better" and that alone makes your statement an opinion. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
That Dave moved there because he hated pumping his own gas.

Aren't assumptions fun? :p

lol i hate that about Oregon. I don't want to have to wait for the attendant to come pump my gas. Creates jobs I guess...

But no sales tax is extremely nice...

You must have missed the title of this thread. The context cast for this thread is that more disc golf activities are better, or better is better (higher quality courses by rating). If there are more courses per capita, that is "better" by context of this thread. Maybe the park maintenance workers that have to mow or empty trash cans might not think that's better. But that's another context outside the thread. If there are more leagues or more events per capita, that's also mo' betta.'

I have to vote for my home, the Monterey Bay area. We may be hosting the 2011 Pro Worlds! Not only do we have the famous De LaVeaga, but a new fresh Tom Schot designed course in Watsonville, CA called Pinto Lake. We also have my two home courses, CSUMB Cypress and Oaks, in Marina, and a sweet newer course in Monterey called Ryan Ranch.

(higher quality courses by rating)

ratings that are !00% opinion. And possibly other intentions such as giving a 5 just to boost one's home course or a 1 to drop a course with bad intentions. Not to mention the several other possible motives that one may have....

If there are more leagues or more events per capita, that's also mo' betta.'

Again, in your opinion. This wasn't mentioned in the original beginning post.

Back to the matter at hand...

As of February:

25 mile radius
Quality Course = 5 reviews min, 4.00 min

78738, Austin, 34 courses, 7 quality
28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 5 quality
76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 4 quality
97045, Portland, 26 courses, 4 quality
45203, Cincinnati, 28 courses, 3 quality
55313, Minneapolis-ish, 28 courses, 3 quality
50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 quality
80433, Denver, 18 courses, 3 quality
18052, Allentown, 18 courses, 3 quality
46341, N Indiana, 9 courses, 3 quality
54846, Highbridge, 9 courses, 3 quality
15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 7 courses, 3 quality
64129, Kansas City, 17 courses, 2 quality
55408, Minneapolis, 40 courses, 1 quality

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12004&page=11

WOOT!!

Winter play is all about preparation, layering and not expecting sure footing on every shot.

Here's something interesting to ponder. The Twin Cities will be adding 150 pay-to-play holes this summer, for a total of 234. Or thereabouts. I ran out of fingers.

As of February:

25 mile radius
Quality Course = 5 reviews min, 4.00 min

78738, Austin, 34 courses, 7 quality
28202, Charlotte, 34 courses, 5 quality
76011, Dallas, 35 courses, 4 quality
97045, Portland, 26 courses, 4 quality
45203, Cincinnati, 28 courses, 3 quality
55313, Minneapolis-ish, 28 courses, 3 quality
50323, Des Moines, 22 courses, 3 quality
80433, Denver, 18 courses, 3 quality
18052, Allentown, 18 courses, 3 quality
46341, N Indiana, 9 courses, 3 quality
54846, Highbridge, 9 courses, 3 quality
15086, Pittsburgh-ish, 7 courses, 3 quality
64129, Kansas City, 17 courses, 2 quality
55408, Minneapolis, 40 courses, 1 quality

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12004&page=11

Just adding the always overlooked Texas town, since it doesn't come close to the other two.

77002, Houston: 25 mi rad. = 30 courses, 1 quality
50 mi rad. = 39 courses, 2 quality

So then wrap your head around this. Using the 50 mile radius:

78738, Austin, 42 courses, 8 quality
76011, Dallas, 41 courses, 5 quality
77002, Houston, 39 courses, 2 quality (Also, Shawshank outside Houston, you can add one more in both courses and quality to Houston)

Totals that include these three cities and the few cities between: 132 courses, 17 courses rated at 4.00 or higher.

I call it the golden triangle of disc golf. :D

I lived in Atlanta for 7 yrs and then it was ok, nothing like texas. I think land is more difficult to obtain in Atlanta. Since I moved they have added White Oak, Alexander and others so it might have picked up.

It must be. Notice that all the courses in "Atlanta" are in the suburbs and exurbs. There are no permanent courses within the city limits.

I would much rather go to a lower rated course and play at my own pace than go to a crowded highly rated course. Beginners tend to like the shorter 9 hole courses, so having a few of those in an area will help keep numbers down at more serious, more challenging, higher rated courses.

This. Around my neck of the woods, we have too many players per course. I'd rather have the opposite problem.

i cant even try and compare with TX, but Lehigh Valley PA is pretty sweet. there are 37 courses within 50 miles of me. including 1. 4&1/2 disc, 6. 4 discers, a whole lot of three and a half and threes and a couple crap-o ones. ive been here 6 months and everywhere i go i meet more and more DGers. now we have a sweet pro shop. i couldnt ask for anything more. except a longer summer mabye.

Love the lehigh valley courses but the weather of NC and TX is hard to beat. IL, MN, MI; what you get 4 months a year to play?

Portland, OR we have Pier Park, Milo McIver, and Leverich Park just across the river in Vancouver,WA. It's growing so fast in the Pacific Northwest it's almost scary...

Portland, OR we have Pier Park, Milo McIver, and Leverich Park just across the river in Vancouver,WA. It's growing so fast in the Pacific Northwest it's almost scary...

Leverich?? Leverich should never be included in the same group as McIver or Pier. Leverich was very disappointing IMO. Horning's Hideout, McIver, Pier, Dabney, Rooster Rock, Trojan....

I agree. DG is growing rapidly in the NW.