• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Staying in Shape (my rant on smoking)

I quit back in 2004 cold turkey.... It sucked at first but you get over. I never went back to cigarettes. NOW the DIP is another story!...WHEW! You wanna talk about addictive!??? I LOVE the dip but quit it about 3 weeks ago. I still cop a pinch off of someone who has a can every now and then though....

Here's an analogy for Frank D:
Dip is to cigarettes, as crack is to cocaine.

Dipping is like injecting drugs since it goes straight into the bloodstream which is way more efficient than smoking it and being absorbed through the lungs and then into the bloodstream. So the effects and withdrawals are more intense.

Congrats on quitting. I still like the smell of it in the air at tourneys sometimes. Man a lot of DG'rs smoke at tourneys.

how do you recover from suicide?

LMFAO

I think it's by paying indulgences? But I'm not Catholic. :D

Anyway, I've never smoked which is probably best since my asthmatic lungs are almost as bad as a smoker's anyway but I'm really proud of my dad for quitting after his heart attack 4 years ago. He was a smoker, dipper, tobacco chewer, at one point for most of his life and he quit cold turkey after the doc basically told him that it was either cigarettes or death.

dang who let the phizer rep on the forums?:p

im a pack-a-day smoker. you know they teach recovering suicides to smoke? that whole affirmation of life thing. ill tell you what if i quit i wouldnt be safe to be around. would probably eat some little kids ear for looking at me wrong.:\

Haha a few years ago, I made a run at quitting and got to about 2 weeks of no cigarettes and then one day, someone on the next shift after me at work really pissed me off and what I was thinking of doing to him was less than mentally healthy.

So, when I went to the counter to buy smokes, my manager was running the register and asked why when I had been doing so well and I said, me smoking might kill me but me not smoking might kill someone else.

They have increased the amount of nasty chemicals in cigs over the last few years, so that's my main reason for wanting to quit. I think it's almost guaranteed to produce the big C these days. I also might try to permanently switch to something like American Spirit cigs. I was doing that for quite some time, although I always kept going back to p-funks.

It's weird because for me, I think I need a complete lifestyle change to do it. I would need to move, new job, etc, and even then the stress of it all might keep me smoking.

I've never been proud of smoking, those that don't smoke just don't understand what it's like to have the ball and chain that we call cigs.

I've never been proud of smoking, those that don't smoke just don't understand what it's like to have the ball and chain that we call cigs.

So why did you start? Having to deal with that ball and chain is one reason I decided to never try it.

Here's an analogy for Frank D:
Dip is to cigarettes, as crack is to cocaine.

Dipping is like injecting drugs since it goes straight into the bloodstream which is way more efficient than smoking it and being absorbed through the lungs and then into the bloodstream. So the effects and withdrawals are more intense.
I thought that smoking was the fastest route to get any drug into your system.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man. The physical withdrawal is not nearly as bad as many other drugs, but the mental withdrawal is one of the toughest. This is why cold turkey actually works well with cigarettes because it a decisive moment to quit. If you keep busy physically and/or mentally somehow, the withdrawal is not too bad.

Tapering off nicotine by reducing the number of cigarettes or switching to a patch or gum works fairly well. The key to tapering is to do it gradually. Reducing 10% a week has very good results and keeps the withdrawal symptoms at minimal. I'd recommend that if you smoke 20/day, take to 18/day for a week, then 16/day the next week....once you get to 10/day you can either keep it aggressive reducing 2/day or safe reducing 1/day for each week. This is a long process but it works naturally and is relatively painless/harmless.

Chantix works by occupying the pleasure receptors, so you are basically being doped up 24/7. It is effective at reducing cravings because that smoke will produce less pleasure since the receptors are already occupied. This is also effective at blocking other drugs that produce pleasure and has been used clinically for them, but present the same issues. Chantix is constantly using dopamine up to fill the receptors, so this strains your natural production of dopamine which then affects your ability to have pleasure from other things and seriously screws with your sleep and dreams which is why there is a high rate of depression and suicide associated with this drug. Most studies show that Chantix produces the same quit rate at 1 year as nicotine gum. Also you have to taper off Chantix or it will produce withdrawal symptoms of its own which are similar to nicotine withdrawal.

chantix is TERRIBLE!!! if your going to quit, quit cold turkey.... dont trade one drug for another

ok, previous post asside.... smoking (cigs) is TERRIBLE, I know ex-crack/coke/meth heads that DONT TOUCH "drugs" but would prolly go postal if they couldn't smoke......

having said that, I love (sarcastically) my first half dozen rounds of the year (ie practically puke out the niccotine from winter) DG amazes me..... if I can keep my mind/body in motion its EASY to not smoke..... sitting on the couch watching tv/ surfing net..... pack a day for boredem..... speaking of bordem WILL IT EVER STOP RAINING IN CHICAGO!!!??????? id like to not play mud golf once this summer....

SERIOUSLY..... I'm NOT trying to defend drugs.... if your gonna wreck your lungs smoking, at least smoke dope and get a feeling out of it... cigs are a joke, made by the institution to get you MORE addicted ( and they get more profit) gotta love $10+ a pack and cant smoke anywhere (in Chicago at least)... best bet, save yourslef LOTS of time, money and effort and do NEITHER

/end rant

Latest posts