• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Step up from Zone?

Ideally a slight step up in speed and stability. Like if you had a FB/Zone baby, what would that look like? 5/3/0/3 type of flight numbers or so. Maybe a Kaxe?

Kaxe sounds great, too. Try to give a Pyro and a Solstice a rip if you can. I found the Gator/Caiman to be almost identical to a Zone. Pyro and Solstice can handle more raw energy, if that makes sense. Maybe the angular momentum of the wider, more rim-displaced mass, combined with the wing profile, have something to do with that. I can get Hex distances out of a Pyro, but I have to send it on flex. Solstice I can't get quite that distance, but I can't get that full FD distance from a FB either.

If you want a disc that you can pull out for straight shots on BH, Kaxe and Pyro would kill it. If you want a disc on FH/BH and you want a bump up in high-speed fade rate, but still more distance than a Zone, consider Solstice.

Of those three, Solstice is the most stable.

Now that I think about it, Caiman/Gator is probably a pretty solid rec, but for a 'step up from a Zone' in terms of a FB/Zone baby, that describes Solstice more than any disc I know. If you want a Thunderbird/Zone baby, then Kaxe. Plasma Pyro is as close to a 'Zone as a mid' type disc I've thrown.

caiman / mortar / quake / pyro / solstice (quantum)

Every now and then a run of Z-Flx Buzzz OS is suuuper beefy. A MF Gator probably fits the bill too. I usually jump straight up to a Lucid-X Justice if I need Zone levels of stability but into big headwinds. My friends and I actually chipped in to give a buddy a Soft baseline plastic Justice, and that thing just got more stable over time. The flight plate puddled and that Justice now makes a regular Lucid Justice look like a Teebird (slight exaggeration).

I'll throw in another recommendation of an SP Quake. It's definitely got that 'longer zone' flight with a very similar feeling rim.

I really don't see a need for a disc in between a Zone and a Firebird/Raptor, but that's just me. Simplify your bag and just dial in the discs you throw.

It's better to be dialed in with a 4-speed and a 9-speed OS pair than it is to have a 4, 6, 7, and 9 speed available to you but not be 100% confident in which one to use or how to throw it.

People keep recommending the kaxe. I've been throwing the kaxe since it released, hell, I still bag my FR. It's not the step up from a Zone people are saying. It's more like a faster envy. Or a step up from a very beaten in zone. It definitely doesn't have the headwind resistance that a zone or firebird does. I've flipped fresh K1's into a 10mph headwind. I'll second the recommendation of a pyro for that slot

I alternate between mortar and gator for the Zone-ish slot, but for longer approaches (especially if I'm looking for a skip) I use a whippet. I get a nice clean release from the pseudo-driver rim and they can still be found for an average cost.

People keep recommending the kaxe. I've been throwing the kaxe since it released, hell, I still bag my FR. It's not the step up from a Zone people are saying. It's more like a faster envy. Or a step up from a very beaten in zone. It definitely doesn't have the headwind resistance that a zone or firebird does. I've flipped fresh K1's into a 10mph headwind. I'll second the recommendation of a pyro for that slot

I didn't quite bond with the Pyro last year but have been thinking it should get another run. The Streamline Runway has been fantastic for me in that longer approach space, but I do remember the Pyro being supremely comfortable in the hand, especially in comparison with the Tesla Truck rim on the Deflector. I think it'd be easy to love.

Um...Drone? It's literally Discrafts answer to not-Zone but also not-Predator (idk all the new trendy molds).

Surprising not one person recommended it in a "faster Zone" thread:|

Small diameter, beadless, straight at high speeds, resistant to turn, dependable fade, same plastics, etc . . .

I moved up to the BuzzzOS from the Zone. I wanted to have more seperation between my Zone & AviarX3. It's just as OS but I get more distance & flight out of it. It responds a lot better to my FH anhyzer off the tee too.

I really don't see a need for a disc in between a Zone and a Firebird/Raptor, but that's just me. Simplify your bag and just dial in the discs you throw.

It's better to be dialed in with a 4-speed and a 9-speed OS pair than it is to have a 4, 6, 7, and 9 speed available to you but not be 100% confident in which one to use or how to throw it.

This thread has been thought-provoking for me in particular because after a recent tourney in extreme wind, I felt like I was missing my Pyro from the bag. This coincided with the purchase of a Q-Solstice because I felt like the OS mid was something missing.

What I felt was missing was a siege engine against HW for straight shots without the variability of a distance driver. I hesitated to throw a Zone because it didn't feel like enough distance.

I wanted to reach for my Pyro but I didn't have it in the bag--it's been more of a fling than a true relationship. I bagged some OS beef I normally don't throw, but there came a point where even the beefy drivers felt too unsafe.

Cut to the chase, I've been testing Zone, Solstice, Pyro in a variety of wind on different angles.

My conclusion is throw a Zone.

I've been using an Eclipse Reactor for shots I don't think I can reach with my zone but don't want to power down on a Felon. I mainly use it for forehand drives and there's a couple holes it seems to work perfect assuming I don't screw it up

Um...Drone? It's literally Discrafts answer to not-Zone but also not-Predator (idk all the new trendy molds).

Surprising not one person recommended it in a "faster Zone" thread:|

Small diameter, beadless, straight at high speeds, resistant to turn, dependable fade, same plastics, etc . . .

A drone is literally a step up from a Zone. There are a lot of overlaps between the two.

Also if you want something longer than a drone a Justice does have a bit more distance.

What disc is out there that is a slight step up from a Zone but not OS 9 speed fairway (FB, Raptor, etc)?

I was thinking maybe Legacy Pursuit? I have a VIP Anvil and it's a little too stable. Maybe I need to trash the Anvil for a few years. Baseline Justice maybe beat in? Looks OOP though.

love the pursuit, although I have a VERY flat first run. not sure what production runs are like.....

Latest posts