• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stony Creek Park - Pflugerville Texas

WVA Texan

This park will be the home of two disc golf courses (according to the designer). Currently, a championship course (2 par 5, 4 par 4) has been installed - baskets are in while awaiting signs. Perhaps in the next year, another course - shorter - is being planned across the street from this park. The park is located just north of Austin. From the interstate, take either Parmer Lane or Howard Lane to the east. Turn left (north) on Harris Ridge Blvd. Go through the beginnings of the neighborhood (about 1 mile) to the park. Take the second entrance, which also has some enclosed fences for a dog park. Go past the dog park and the beginning of the disc golf course, with the practice basket, will be off to the right.

First off, many thanks to the course designer & all others involved in making this course happen. :thmbup: There is quite a bit of potential out here, even given the lack of elevation. It reminded me a lot of the MetCenter course.

To those who are itching to check it out, my best advice is to wait a little while. Should be much easier to navigate once the signs & all of the boxes are in. We kinda figured that the 1st hole starts real close to the park entrance alongside the dog park. Couldn't find a box for this one.

This course is tight, real tight. A good number of the holes that we played & were able to find didn't really have true lines to hit, much less "fairways". Kinda chuck & pray. I am a huge fan of technical courses (aka 9 hole Brushy Creek Sports Park, Austin Ridge Bible Church, etc) but this one, albeit in its infancy, is just brutal. With some pretty substantial trimming, this course could be a lot of fun.

The course isnt even finished or open for play. Why would you review it?

No offenst to the guy cause i dont know him but... Im still trying to figure out how he figured there was a lack of elevation. Most of the holes i looked at had elevation changes plus a creek that ran along some and a pond. A few of the longer holes are flat but for the most part there is plenty of tricky stuff.

Perhaps I was hasty in mentioning this new course before it has been completed. I appologize. Maybe, I should have noted that, even though the baskets are in, no signage (at the tee-box or at the basket for direction to the next box) has been installed, and that trying to navigate the course would be difficult without having the course designer along to guide you. Actually, I had known about the course (just didn't know where it was being built) over a year ago. I had found a disc, which happened to belong to a lady pro in Round Rock. When she obtained the disc, she mentioned that two new courses were being developed in Pflugerville. She didn't say where and I didn't ask. What I may do is contact the pro who developed the course to estimate when the course will be offically opened for play. I do drop by the course weekly to check on progress.

The course isnt even finished or open for play. Why would you review it?

It most def. wasn't meant as a review. More like a suggestion to wait to play until more work is completed. I was just trying to prevent others from going through the same frustration me & my buddy went thru trying to navigate & figure out the course, that's all. :)

No offenst to the guy cause i dont know him but... Im still trying to figure out how he figured there was a lack of elevation. Most of the holes i looked at had elevation changes plus a creek that ran along some and a pond. A few of the longer holes are flat but for the most part there is plenty of tricky stuff.

No offense taken, homie. :) I guess I should've been a little more clear. Mainly meant that there isn't a lot of elevation to work with within the park. I do feel like they did a good job @ using the available elevation. Most notably the hole that throws over the small pond to an elevated tee. You are very correct abt there being plenty of "tricky stuff". IMO, too much of that tricky stuff is created by walls of trees & a lack of true lines to hit, in the current state of the course.

So the course has tees and baskets but no signs and needs a little more clearing? When is it going to be open? It sounds like soon. Do they need any help clearing brush or is the city taking care of that for the initial installation?

I went out there this morning. It's a nice piece of property and it looked to have some interesting holes. I wouldn't suggest trying to use that map I just posted. There have apparently been some significant changes to the layout. I think that trying to figure out which holes were which using the map was much more difficult than just letting the course flow. This will be even easier whenever they put the signs in.

So what does the course lack to be completed? Someone answered my post on the PDGA site and said the official opening is Dec. 23rd but is available for play now.

I went out there this morning. It's a nice piece of property and it looked to have some interesting holes. I wouldn't suggest trying to use that map I just posted. There have apparently been some significant changes to the layout. I think that trying to figure out which holes were which using the map was much more difficult than just letting the course flow. This will be even easier whenever they put the signs in.

From what I could tell, all it's missing are tee signs which really would help with navigation. If there where a good map, it wouldn't matter as much but there I haven't seen an accurate one.

I expect that they'll probably start installing the signs (They've already got the posts in the ground) before it officially opens. I won't be in town on the 23rd, but I might drive over there between now and then and see if they've put the signs in yet.

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking a quick walk-through today or maybe even playing it tomorrow. I'll post what I see.

Played it a couple days ago.... there was an older guy out there who knew what the holes were so pretty much followed him the whole time. The first hole is long and open, and as of a couple days ago, there were big piles of dirt/mulch you have to throw over. Walk to the right after finishing hole 1 and you'll see the teebox for hole 2. After that, it flows nicely. Some holes are extremely brutal so hopefully some more trees get cleared out.

If anyone finds a white bottom stamp star destroyer (inked with "JTP") with a red firefighter maltese cross dye on it in water on the hole where you throw over water... please let me know. I got it for my buddy on his birthday and he threw it in there. Tried getting in the water but the water was too cold.

Playing it again tomorrow at 10:30am so will post an update if there is any.

also if anybody finds an orange td rush with a 12 monkeys dye, it has my name and # on it, i lost it on hole 5 creek behind next to the basket. the deepest part :(

I'm not sure you're allowed to play the course, post on this thread, and NOT give your impressions of the course.:)

also if anybody finds an orange td rush with a 12 monkeys dye, it has my name and # on it, i lost it on hole 5 creek behind next to the basket. the deepest part :(

Latest posts