• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stopped throwing Drivers now I can't throw Drivers

Tiny

Double Eagle Member
Well, about the past 3 months I've been changing what I throw just based on wanting to be more control than distance. I now basically don't pull out drivers (surge is my fast driver), unless the hole is 460+. I'd rather play control and take the chance at a really long 3 instead of trying to park it when I can play for 3 and be cautious.

Well, I played a really long course this weekend and needed my drivers, and realized I haven't thrown them at all in a while. I'm sure it just boils down to not practicing with em for about 2-3 weeks. My question is, should I work on them more often or just learn to push my fairway drivers out further for now? I don't really see either posing an issue just curious to what route I should take to make me a better player overall.

I used to be able to hit 400' easy with drivers... Now they aren't going much further than my fairways (but I throw my fairways all the time in most situations)

That's up to you, my man. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice...which is good. When you say "drivers" though, are you referring to just Distance Drivers?

It all depends on the course and your level of control. One of my frequent playing partners has been playing for three years, and didn't pick up a distance driver until a couple months ago. On holes where I was busting out a Krait, he'd still be using a Teebird. And that's not a bad thing, because oftentimes he would beat me!

I wish I was in your situation, being able to get fairway drivers out to 350 plus, so I can't offer much advice beyond that I think it's a good idea to practice with Distance Drivers as well, if, for nothing else, to add another element to your game.

i used to be the same way! i would much rather push my mids and fairway drivers as far as possible becasue i know it wouldnt go father than i wanted and i can control it.

what i noticed is that as i was putting more power these discs were turning over alot more for me and i was controlling them alot less.

If i finessed a max driver i was able to reach some of those longer baskets that i know i can there with a fairway driver alot more consistently cause im not putting to much power on them

That's up to you, my man. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice...which is good. When you say "drivers" though, are you referring to just Distance Drivers?

Basically anything that is 10+ in speed. (I don't often throw anything that is 12-14 unless I'm just playing around). So basically Orcs and above. (technically 9 speeds too, but I don't use any 9 speeds but the striker and I question if that's actually a 9 speed. Feels more like an 8, but that's all subjective to who you are. I consider the striker a long fairway.

I generally throw these discs.

Escape, Striker, Tracker, River, destroyed dx gazelle (if I need something to really turn over in a tight space), Shark, Wasp, Buzzz, Zones, Judges soft and firm. I rarely pull out my drivers now a days, I feel more comfortable throwing my fairways. Idk I like throwing drivers, but I'll have to work on accuracy with em.

It often boils down to being a grip issue, nose issue, or trajectory/line issue. I know I've had some of all the above issues with warp speed discs. Wiggin's has said that people are too afraid to get nasty on warp speed discs.

I have always had OAT issues when using fast discs, I tend to control the nose of slower discs very good. It has lots of variable such as me trying too hard, not enough snap or arm speed and the rim being too wide and not as comfortable in my hand as the narrower rims. I have always wondered if there were 14 speed drivers that were the same as an eagle in shape if I could throw them,

If you ever figure out how to throw distance drivers further than fairway drivers, PM me.

As mental as this game is, it might just be a lack of confidence factor.

My 'home,' 18 hole course (that I noobed on for 100+ rounds) is no harder than the other dozen or so courses that I play, yet, I struggle to shoot less than 10 over at it when I'm averaging 3 over at all the other courses and haven't shot a 10+ over in three months... other than... you guessed it... my home course.

Basically, the course kicked my ass so many times, I'm still struggling to get my confidence back there.

As mental as this game is, it might just be a lack of confidence factor.

My 'home,' 18 hole course (that I noobed on for 100+ rounds) is no harder than the other dozen or so courses that I play, yet, I struggle to shoot less than 10 over at it when I'm averaging 3 over at all the other courses and haven't shot a 10+ over in three months... other than... you guessed it... my home course.

Basically, the course kicked my ass so many times, I'm still struggling to get my confidence back there.

Really though, I have always felt confidence with my driving with surges (and havoc the short time I used it lol). Idk I guess over the weekend I was on a card with some open guys and they demoralized me lol. 500ft drive when mine goes 210ft and hits the only tree in the fairway (which was literally 3 inches wide)

Awesome, I love holes like those.

As they say... sometimes you're the windshield, somethimes you're the bug :)

It often boils down to being a grip issue, nose issue, or trajectory/line issue. I know I've had some of all the above issues with warp speed discs. Wiggin's has said that people are too afraid to get nasty on warp speed discs.
Yeah, they're just that much more difficult to throw. What the OP is finding is pretty common. What the OP's problem may be will require a lot more information to debug. How far are all the discs going, what discs are they, what lines are all of them flying on, ect.?

If you're happy with how the rest of your discs fly then trying to get your distance drivers to fly better is probably worth while, just as long as it doesn't screw up your throw for your other discs.

I had this same problem a couple years ago. I was throwing all my putters, mids, and fairways 99% of the time, so I got really uncomfortable with my Destroyers. It was a combination of comfort with the wider rim, and nose issues. I started incorporating them more into my practice rounds by powering down on my less stable ones. After a few months the comfort returned and I was good to go.

Honestly it's hard to find a purpose for the distance drivers. Only certain people get get the disc speed required for anything over a speed 9. My fastest disc is a surge and I use it sparingly. My go to fairway is a saint or a river atm and on a good day I push 335-350' with that. Until I'm pushing a saint 400+ I see no reason to pick up anything faster which will never reach the 400 I'm after unless I play every day.

my home course is a long course so basically all i need to throw now is drivers, when i first started i threw mids and fairways, but eventually your gonna need to throw drivers (its like playin ball golf with only irons) your gonna have to learn to throw drivers so mix in some practice throws with drivers.

Double down on the Hammer's advice. Just start throwing the big boys at 80% (or less), focusing on smooth. Try keeping the height about 10' or so.

Talk to your playing partners and ask if they'd mind if you throw a second drive. If it's OK, rip a speed nine for competition, then a smooth speed 12/13 for practice.

Honestly it's hard to find a purpose for the distance drivers. Only certain people get get the disc speed required for anything over a speed 9. My fastest disc is a surge and I use it sparingly. My go to fairway is a saint or a river atm and on a good day I push 335-350' with that. Until I'm pushing a saint 400+ I see no reason to pick up anything faster which will never reach the 400 I'm after unless I play every day.

Fast drivers are useful for far more that just trying to throw long shots. They excel at getting distance under low ceilings with minimal effort. Overstable wide rim drivers are the best for big skip shots.

Last edited:
I fixed the issue. I wasn't doing a full pullback, thus losing a lot of inertia for drivers. It's okay with the others because they don't need all the energy.

Latest posts