• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Straight distance driver

Buzzzz

I'm trying to find straight distance driver that turns a little bit and then fades back but i don't want it to fade hard. I currently throw 172g Star Beast but it's too understable for some fairways because i play in wooded courses. I'm planning to buy 167-170g S-line PD or S-line Craze and i'm also interested in Innova Orc. You can also suggest other discs as long as they are from Innova, Discmania or Discraft.

The CD2 may be exactly what you're looking for. For me, it holds a nice straight flight with just a slight hyzer finish. It's not in regular production yet though.

A beat up Star Wraith may also fit in this slot.

You could try a Star TL...that should stay pretty straight in the woods. Even beat Star/Champ Orcs are going to have some good fade on the back end.

The Viking recommendation was a solid one, as well.

I like the Orc idea. I've only thrown a Star Orc, but it was my favorite disc after the Beast got too US. I lost it when it went too straight into the woods. While searching for the Orc, I found a 7/10 Pro Wraith w/ no ink that ended up flying almost identical, except longer. Very straight from a slight hyzer with minimal fade. I would've never picked a Pro Wraith as an Orc replacement, so it was a minor miracle that I stumbled on it, tried it, and loved it.

to me slower discs are more useful in tighter wooded fairways than trying to find a super straight 7+ speed disc. I'd throw a roc/buzz to negate chance of fade while not turning over even at 300'+ of power. In the woods the faster discs are less forgiving from everything to tree hits, landings and angles.

You could try a Star TL...that should stay pretty straight in the woods.

I picked up a well beat, star TL about the time I started to see distance gains and between beating it in more and experimenting with over powering it, learned the hyzer-flip, start-to-fiinish turnover line. Now I flick off the tee pad about once every 2-3 rounds.

I am forever indebted to that TL :clap:

I picked up a well beat, star TL about the time I started to see distance gains and between beating it in more and experimenting with over powering it, learned the hyzer-flip, start-to-fiinish turnover line. Now I flick off the tee pad about once every 2-3 rounds.

I am forever indebted to that TL :clap:

Key point. I was never able to hyzer a TL low enough on release to get a tight line. It loved to turn, and often flipped over and cut rolled.

Agreed with Aim, i'd throw a mamba or starfire there.

Those are both 10 and 11 speed drivers, yes? I think Aim was saying he prefers slower discs in the mid, slower fairway range. I personally would toss the TL or a more stable Leopard, like a max weight Pro

Those are both 10 and 11 speed drivers, yes? I think Aim was saying he prefers slower discs in the mid, slower fairway range. I personally would toss the TL or a more stable Leopard, like a max weight Pro

Philly has been drinking early again :p

Yep. Ill throw a crave/volt/inertia from time to time in the woods but generally don't end up any better than if I would have worked a mid. The few extra feet of distance generally doesn't make up for the worse landing area/footing etc. Few holes locally in the woods I have found drivers to just be too long as its a much better play to be throwing 2 drives with a mid vs driving at a pin you cant reach even on flat ground!

Philly has been drinking early again :p

Yep. Ill throw a crave/volt/inertia from time to time in the woods but generally don't end up any better than if I would have worked a mid. The few extra feet of distance generally doesn't make up for the worse landing area/footing etc. Few holes locally in the woods I have found drivers to just be too long as its a much better play to be throwing 2 drives with a mid vs driving at a pin you cant reach even on flat ground!

:clap: Have one for me too Philly!

Regarding my suggestion, I'm now thinking I'll withdraw that. As I took my max weight pro leopard out of the bag. The leopard I carry now is a flippy SE thats straight when powered down and just sits, no skipping. That would be my personal choice I think, only because my Rocs arent seasoned up enough to be straight with no fade. My comet is too new to me to trust, and my axis... maybe my axis would work. Or Tursas. Reality is... I'd F up with one, and rethrow with something else.

Latest posts