• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straight to Understable Short Fairway Driver.

jdggna

Double Eagle Member
My bag this spring is going to have primarily Teebirds for fairways.
I'll have a 171 Champ, 171 DX, and possibly (probably) a 171 Star that may replace the Champ.

I typically throw Teebirds from about 350 fairly consistently (for an idea of my throwing power). I know they're supposed to be straight discs, but they finish with a decent amount of hyzer for shots that I'm not cranking out as hard as I can, especially when fairly new. I'm looking for a good tunnel shot fairway. I have a very specific hole in mind when I say tunnel shot. It has a stretch in the fairway that is about 20-25 feet wide and somewhere between 300 and 350 feet long, dead straight the whole way (it follows an old access road). With this tight of a fairway I want a disc with almost zero fade. I typically throw my Buzzz on it, but to not risk falling off the fairway it takes me two strokes to get to an upshot.

I have been planning on picking up a Leopard for this shot. I want a disc that I can flip up to flat or just past it, without fading back very hard. I'm pretty sure the Leopard would be my disc, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I guess that's my question. What would any alternatives be? The only ones I have immediately identified are the Impact and Assassin.

Leopard, JLS, Cyclone, LS Polaris, Assassin could work, hopefully Latitude 64's new driver, XS maybe. Leopard or JLS would be my current favorites for what you're talking about though.

IMO a slightly worn 165-167 DX Teebird released with hyzer will fit this role perfectly.
A more worn-in one will do it with even less effort.

IMO, other than a Leopard I think a Stalker would be well worth your time to try out. The two I have move very little off the initial line I put them on.

yeah beat up a DX teebird, or try a leopard.

kinda off topic, but where are you located? a 20-25 foot wide fairway is considered an open field hole in new england. :lol: .... :cry:

i recommend a TL considering that they just lock-in straight, or def. a Cyclone!

Go for the leopard. Be sure not to get the star though. When I tried the star leopards awhile ago they were pretty much a different disc. WAY too stable for a leopard.

Aubin said:
yeah beat up a DX teebird, or try a leopard.

kinda off topic, but where are you located? a 20-25 foot wide fairway is considered an open field hole in new england. :lol: .... :cry:

Central Iowa. Shorter holes don't bother me so much, but this one goes 100ft or so across a creek/ravine, the a 90 degree turn into the 350' straight. And when I say straight I mean it has no angle to it at all.

Sounds like a Star Leopard might work well for you. I had been using one for tunnel shots, but I'm trying out a pair of light, beat-up DX Teebirds. Compared with Leopards, I find Teebirds a bit more forgiving of operator error. I also wonder whether hyzer flipping an X XL would work well for the shot that you describe (although an ESP XL fades pretty strongly for me).

And yeah, 20-25' is a pretty generous tunnel. :wink:

expensive-cow.jpg

+
cake-8inch1.jpg

= Star leopards that I have tried. Maybe they mold up better now though.

rather than adding another mold to what you throw you could use your DX Teebird as has been suggested
of course it does need to be beat
I use a selection in various stages oin various weights
e.g. I have a "seasoned" 174 that is actually quite understable and will hold a turn
I also have a nicely seasoned 169 that might just goes straight and flat no turn and really no fade...unless I have given it enough height

although a Leopard might be good initially given its high speed turn once it wears in you may not be able to use it on this shot as it may turn to far right on you and go off the fairway

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize that 20-25' isn't super tight. There are plenty of courses with tunnels tighter, but what kills me on this one is how long and straight it is. If it had a hyzer or annhyzer angle to it (even just a slight one) it would be much easier to grab decent distance on it. If you go off the fairway, you can't advance. The only option is to pitch it back to the fairway. The brush/timber is just too thick. Just pulled it up on google maps and it is significantly longer than I estimated as well. It looks closer to the 550' mark according to that.

Great suggestions so far.

My top suggestions in no particular order:

Beat DX Teebird
Star Leo
Z Stalker
DX Gazelle
Beat Cyclone
learn to huck your Comet/Buzzz/beat Roc that far

I just read you latest post.
At 550' with that small of a margin of error I would definitely use a Comet twice rather than a faster driver once and a midrange once.

marmoset said:
I just read you latest post.
At 550' with that small of a margin of error I would definitely use a Comet twice rather than a faster driver once and a midrange once.

Yeah, basically I'm throwing 3+ times with my Buzzz when I've played it in the past. I can get the Buzzz to 300ft on more open holes, but I wouldn't trust my accuracy with it at that range for this hole. As for the DX Teebird suggestions, I'm glad to hear it. I've only thrown Champion ones so I've never had a chance to see one very broken in. I just picked up my DX this winter so I haven't had a chance to really try it out. The Stalker and I never took. I'm not sure what it was about it, but I always liked my Teebird more. I'll have to try out some of the other suggestions after I see how the DX Teebird plays out.

In case anybody is curious, the course map is here:
http://iowadg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2006

It is hole 8. The buildings by 4 and 6 are a water treatment plant that is almost exactly 600 feet long for a distance reference.

Just checked the google map, and you're right looks like that hole is about 500'. At that distance with only 25 feet to work with, I personally would hyzer flip a roadrunner for distance, then use a comet. 2 comets will do it, but i'd probably come up short at the end if it's closer to 550.

the beauty of a seasoned DX TB is that it will keep most of it's high speed stability and stay on line off the tee, but a lot of that harsh fade at the end is gone.

Latest posts