• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strangest Thing You Have Seen On The Disc Golf Course II

I play the Zilker Park WPDGE mini here in Austin, TX on Mondays, where both of these happened on Hole #1.

STORY #1

My golf buddies have a couple friends who do the para-sailing thing, dunno what it's called exactly, but it's a dude with a parachute and a big fan on the back...they fly around and do all the crazy stunts, cuz they are crazy with huge huevos I guess. You'd damn sure never catch me up there, being afraid of heights.

So we are all about to tee on #1 and this guy starts coming right towards us, Top Gun fly-by style. He swoops down right on our heads moving pretty fast. Welp, he didn't see the low-hanging power line about 50' behind the box, which he was heading straight towards...

Nobody expected him to come as close to the ground as he did, and I think he was about to land, but the parachute would have gone DIRECTLY into the power line and probably coiled him around it and toasted the guy. He throttled at the LAST possible second and swooped up over the line by no more than 6" to a foot!

We all figured there was no way he knew the power line was there or he would not have executed such a risky maneuver. When he finally landed and came over to us, he confirmed that he made a poor decision to land in an area he had not first inspected (and would NEVER do that again!) and that he had to leave to change his shorts.

STORY #2

This is the strangest thing that has happened to me, personally, on a course.

I got married on a Sunday, October 20th, which was the first Sunday I didn't play DG in a loooong time since my club meetups are every Sunday AM. At the end of the wedding, the lady that performed the ceremony said, "May the Great Spirit send its choicest gifts to you."

The very next day, my lady let me go play the WPDGE mini (pretty cool, eh?) since our honeymoon was slated to begin Thursday later that week. Now, I hadn't thrown a disc all weekend for the first time in as long as I can remember.

So I step on the #1 box and turn loose a slight anny with the Opto Pure. It didn't feel that great but all of a sudden it was like it was being remote controlled? It wasn't really flying like I felt the throw should have behaved, if that makes more sense. I was just watching it glide over, line up with the basket, and it was heading straight to it about 5' high. Somebody said, "That's in!" and it immediately dropped in the heart of the chains, dead center, as perfect as you can imagine.

FIRST THROW after the ceremony, no warmup shots, PURED IT!

The best part is that the Ace Pot had been building up for about 3-4 months, which is EXTREMELY rare at Zilker Park because there are about 14 ace runs. It had built to a record high $280. It could not have come at a better time with our trip to Portland coming that week! I had not aced since March 31, and had never aced at Zilker. I had never aced any #1 hole and had damn sure never aced my first throw of the day!

The very next WPDGE mini, TWO people aced and split the $30 Ace Pot!

The Great Spirit certainly sent me it's "choicest gift" that day...I can't be certain but I think a few of my ancestors may have had something to do with that one.

Last edited:
^That's a dope story man. I don't think you can have a better ace.

I remember my friend and I started playing with a couple of guys we just caught up too, and we all started playing in a group. A little while, towards the back of the course, the guys asked us if we would like to smoke some weed. We both declined, and this guy pulled out a joint so big, Cheech and Chong would have been proud. This thing had to be at least 8-10 inches long, and about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. These guys smoked it, and seemed to not have a care in the world after that, even though their throws got worse and worse.

I remember my friend and I started playing with a couple of guys we just caught up too, and we all started playing in a group. A little while, towards the back of the course, the guys asked us if we would like to smoke some weed. We both declined, and this guy pulled out a joint so big, Cheech and Chong would have been proud. This thing had to be at least 8-10 inches long, and about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. These guys smoked it, and seemed to not have a care in the world after that, even though their throws got worse and worse.

That's more normal than unusual.

What Course?

WE have a course on GVSU(Grand Valley State for you non Michigan people) and there was a condom welded to the basket

HAHAHA... I'm assuming you're talking about the lovely Campus View course? I played that many times and never noticed a welded condom, but that's classic CV shenanigans.

That course is strange enough as is... using student apartment buildings as your OB lines. I've vaulted a few of my buddies on those roofs to retrieve plastic, luckily no broken windows though.

heard a pack of coyote's going on something last night, way too close for comfort (likely on a deer). definitely got all our heart rates up a bit...proud i hit a few good putts and drives right after, despite the elevated heartrate and a bit less focused with one eye on the tall grass, ha. It got a bit intense really. carried a stick the rest of the round. First time i'd ever experienced it.

Coyote attacks on humans are extremely rare. If that coyote attack on the 3 yo Chicago boy worries you, read the news item: he was trying to feed and pet the coyote. Way to go, mom.

During a doubles event last year I was up on the box first and hadn't played this new pin location. The pin sits at about 360' with two very large guardian trees blocking a straight shot. The wind was gusting 10mph or so from right to left and from the Tee the pin is off to the left at about 10:30.

I debate on which option I should take with my partner. He suggests a very wide line on hyzer angle with my fastest driver. This line makes the shot a little over 400' now. This line wouldn't make sense if we didn't have the wind blowing in our favor, the disc should get a big push left once it starts to lose spin.

I execute the shot, It appears my angle and line are ideal for the birdie. The disc slows down and the wind pushes it hard to the left. SMASH! Center chains, into the bucket, then my disc toilet bowls around the cage and flops out the back.

The dudes are still uttering nice shot as I fall backward onto the grass. My partner starts his run up the moment I'm out of his way. He matches the line and angle my shot had. The wind carries the disc the same way it carried my shot. SMASH! ACE!:hfive::popcorn:

During a doubles event last year I was up on the box first and hadn't played this new pin location. The pin sits at about 360' with two very large guardian trees blocking a straight shot. The wind was gusting 10mph or so from right to left and from the Tee the pin is off to the left at about 10:30.

I debate on which option I should take with my partner. He suggests a very wide line on hyzer angle with my fastest driver. This line makes the shot a little over 400' now. This line wouldn't make sense if we didn't have the wind blowing in our favor, the disc should get a big push left once it starts to lose spin.

I execute the shot, It appears my angle and line are ideal for the birdie. The disc slows down and the wind pushes it hard to the left. SMASH! Center chains, into the bucket, then my disc toilet bowls around the cage and flops out the back.

The dudes are still uttering nice shot as I fall backward onto the grass. My partner starts his run up the moment I'm out of his way. He matches the line and angle my shot had. The wind carries the disc the same way it carried my shot. SMASH! ACE!:hfive::popcorn:

Someone left the ace door open.

HAHAHA... I'm assuming you're talking about the lovely Campus View course? I played that many times and never noticed a welded condom, but that's classic CV shenanigans.

That course is strange enough as is... using student apartment buildings as your OB lines. I've vaulted a few of my buddies on those roofs to retrieve plastic, luckily no broken windows though.

It wasn't actually welded, just like rubber burnt with a light and randomly on the basket. My buddy threw his first shot on the roof. He cried.

Its hard to believe but I've seen a mountain lion in north texas. The large cat and I met eyes and then he ran off into the wild within a few seconds. This was no ordinary cat, as he had LARGE yellow eyes and was atleast 3 and a half feet tall. also hawks like to land on the ground near me and just sit and watch me walk by. Lets just say I'm one with nature

I saw two people, a scurvy looking lady in her late 20's(face was sunken and wrinkly, I'm guessing meth), and a much more scurvy looking guy(full beard, no shirt, and shorts that he couldn't keep up with no underwear) exiting the forest of poison ivy with no discs and proceed to walk by me and some friends, go to their car, and leave. We just kinda stared and then kept going.

Lakewood in seattle has a hole that has OB sidewalk on the left with a shelter pin high with the hole. I attempted an anny, but slipped and threw it right for the shelter, I yelled fore, then I saw a bag get hit and trash fly everywhere. 2 women and one guy are in the shelter (less than 3 teeth between them), the guy starts yelling "You hit my beeotch". He continues to scream then throws my disc back at me. Later in the round I see the guy and the woman who is not his "beeotch" having sex right in the middle of park with his "beeotch" watching. They were so high they didn't know what was going on and the other girl was crying. Very weird, gross and sad.

Lakewood in seattle has a hole that has OB sidewalk on the left with a shelter pin high with the hole. I attempted an anny, but slipped and threw it right for the shelter, I yelled fore, then I saw a bag get hit and trash fly everywhere. 2 women and one guy are in the shelter (less than 3 teeth between them), the guy starts yelling "You hit my beeotch". He continues to scream then throws my disc back at me. Later in the round I see the guy and the woman who is not his "beeotch" having sex right in the middle of park with his "beeotch" watching. They were so high they didn't know what was going on and the other girl was crying. Very weird, gross and sad.

Wow that's crazy white center is the hood though lol!