• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling with all sorts of stuff

Mrcpa

Bogey Member
So in the last few weeks I have posted my form in the critique section here on dgcr. I've posted a lot of stuff asking questions of what I've been trying to figure out. I've been going out like 2-4 times a week practicing and I've literally disc'd down as far as I can. I have 4 putters and two midranges now that I've been trying to use for most of my shots. Matter of fact I played mostly a putter only round today. Everything still feels so awkward and all my approach shots still wobble like crazy. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the wobble and how to get better nose down shots would be greatly appreciated cause I'm getting kind of discouraged not getting any better other than with my putting.

Thanks!

Slow down and work on one thing at a time. And be patient. That's the best advice I can give you.

I've not read all your posts but I did look at some of your videos.

On the drives you're not pulling through on a flat line. You start with the disc almost at shoulder height then on the reach back swoop down at least 6 inches then back up at farthest reach back. Then on the pull forward it looks like you also swing down a little with the outside edge dropped and the hand not on the outside of the disc, then raise it back up as you pass your body. Try starting at the max reach back then pulling through at a constant height with the disc flat all the time. Generally nipple to upper stomach level. Some go as low as belly button but I find it hard to keep the disc flat that low.

On the approach you seem to start with the disc tilted up showing the bottom of the disc. Then change the angle of the disc as you pull forward. Again start with the disc flat and keep it flat.

Make sure when you grip the disc that you tilt the wrist slightly to make sure the disc is lined up with the forearm. Almost like shacking hands.

Don't get discouraged. Go find videos about grips and basic form. Don't worry about distance till you get the disc going pretty level with not wobble and flying flat. Not a wobbling hyzer arc.

Discing down isn't going to fix wobble and hyzer release angles.

Forget the internet, it's time to hire a local pro! (anywhere from 10-30.00 an hour.) You need quick, immediate feedback to get you in the right direction. It's amazing what even 1 lesson will do for you, THEN all the little tweaks offered online will start to help even more.

With you're BH grip, are you squeezing the rim too tight? Remember that you don't need to grip the disc very hard. Use a power grip and focus on pulling the disc across you're chest with your finger pads. Let the finger pads do the work. That helps me get a lot of control and spin on the disc that you won't get if your squeezing the rim too much.

Also, keep you're movements slow just until the moment you pull across you're chest.

Keep grinding if you want to improve. I've reached many insights into my game by having solo marathon days of 3-4 rounds in a row.

Last edited:
...I'm getting kind of discouraged not getting any better other than with my putting.

On the bright side...you are seeing improvements in your putting. Many (myself included) would argue that is the most important part of the game.

My advice is to make sure you don't burn yourself out with practice. Remember - this is supposed to be fun. If you aren't having fun, don't be afraid to step away for a few days in order to get your head right. Then come back and attack the course again with a positive mindset.

Stay patient and know this is a process. Sometimes it is a very long slow process where you feel like you are taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. It gets better.

1st thing though do you feel you've changed anything in your throw from the videos you posted but just not seeing results? If so post more videos and ask for clarifications. Look at the first 5 threads in the Critique and Analysis section and see how long and how many videos those thread starters are posting. Go ahead and read all of those threads and watch all of those videos, if you can understand the advice being given to others in that section it will go a long ways in identifying and fixing your own throw.

IF you feel nothing has changed in your throw. First things first grip and alignment above all else. You need to get that disc in alignment with your forearm and get your forearm on a level plane. The upshot and approach clinic video you had posted was really bad for your current throw and kinda emphasized the disc angle flaws. Go back watch all of your own videos, even frame by frame. Look at all of the points in the backswing and throw that the disc or your arm is not on flat plane.
Work on fixing that, and then watch the videos SW22 posted. DO THE DRILLS in those videos. Record yourself some more.

Patience
Grip
Slow everything down
Ask questions for clarification on the advice given.

You could be over-thinking everything.

Practice is going to make the biggest difference. Learning through experience is what dg is all about. The articles and videos etc are great to understand different styles or ways to achieve desired results. My form has evolved a lot over the years. I couldn't hold a putter at first without it feeling weird.

I literally said i didnt need a putter early on and would just use my skeeter:| i mean it worked... But i learned'

Dont take it so seriously and just get the reps in. More you play with others who have superior skillsets you will pickup things here and there next thing you know you might even outdrive those peeps.

Go frolf!:)

Hang in there dude, I'm new myself and have made great strides when it comes to form, distance and accuracy. Don't think I can really link my progression to any one piece of advice or video. Take it all in and try to apply it in practice, and don't get discouraged by the results.

I can tell you it wasn't easy and was definitely frustrating at times. (who am I kidding it's still frustrating lol) When starting out I hit a wall quick, couldn't throw over 160ft, had zero accuracy and my form consisted of running like a mad man and hurling a disc. I spent a lot of time adjust my form and grip, and it took me probably a better part of 3-4 months until it just clicked. All the videos and articles all started to make sense and I could start to apply some of that knowledge. I wasn't throwing 300 but I was able to throw 220's with good accuracy and something that resembled form. At that point I switched from fairway drivers to mids, with tons of field work and tons more reading I was able to throw a mid 300ft with very good consistency. But this doesn't mean I don't have day's or weeks where I feel like I could throw my bag further than my discs, in fact I know I could throw my bag further than my discs this week. It's just a matter of rolling with the punches and having fun. It will come to you with time,I am the furthest thing from an athlete, I am just a dude that likes to throw plastic into trees and occasional metal baskets.

P.S. Most of my disc wobble issue came from my grip, does the disc feel comfortable in your hand or awkward. If the answer is awkward, switch it up try a stacked grip or three finger power grip. Find what works for you right now, then work on refining the tried and true methods. I switched from 4 finger power grip to three finger power, to stacked back to 4 finger before finding stacked was the perfect grip for me. Also try throwing mids instead of putters, I still have grip issues and wobble with my putters from time to time.

Quick comment on wobble:

Wobble in itself is not terrible, assuming the disc flies okay. How many NFL quarterbacks throw a perfect spiral every time? Accuracy and distance are more important than wobble. I think I also notice wobble more on approaches, and I don't think it's the biggest problem in my game right now...

My advice is to make sure you don't burn yourself out with practice. Remember - this is supposed to be fun. If you aren't having fun, don't be afraid to step away for a few days in order to get your head right. Then come back and attack the course again with a positive mindset.

I like this advice, even though I don't know if you're just playing for fun or if you're hoping to be the next Paul McBeth or Ricky Wysocki. If practice stops being fun, I think it's beneficial to spend time playing normal, fun, "get to know your discs and throws" rounds. Even if your form isn't improving, your consistency will improve. It may not be the fastest way to improve, but it sounds like maybe you already have enough practice sessions, at least for a recreational player.

I agree with others who have said to maybe lay off the practice for a little while. You can burn yourself out by thinking to mechanically about it. When you come back to it your mind will be clearer and it could really help.
I am teaching myself to throw lefthanded right now (Due to shoulder problems) and it can be really frustrating, results are not linear. I would say focus more on how things feel than looking at videos. When you have a better throw and it feels smooth out of your hand, try to stay with that don't worry if it wobbles, you can fix that later if you want. once you feel comfortable with a basic throw then you can start nitpicking your mechanics and changing things but until you are comfortable its is tough to work on it piece by piece.

Problem I had when I first started. I looked at power grip and would tuck all 4 fingers under the rim. This is NOT the best way to grip it. Hold he disc in you hand, and allow it to rest between the middle and pointer finger. Then grip the disc by tucking you middle to fingers (like a power grip). Then your pinky and pointer finger should rest flat against the rim, while the middle 2 fingers are tucked. Lastly place your thumb above where your pointer finger sits flat along the rim.

This grip will give you control and distance that you don't think you have. Its awkward at first but after a few throws you'll be fine. The next part, which requires practice is consistency.

Video to show you what I'm saying. https://youtu.be/28ABf6csQpM?t=54s
That is something I'm still working on.. But I play everyday, and even putt inside on rainy days

You might want to research the different types of fan grips people use. I gained a lot of accuracy and some distance as well when I started using fan type grips for mids and putters. Just a thought...

Sounds like you need to slow down. This is a sport of fun. Worrying too much isn't going to make it better. Pick one thing to work on and forget about the rest. Also play with friends, too many practice sessions and rounds will take the fun out of it. Take the fun away and it becomes a job.

You might want to research the different types of fan grips people use. I gained a lot of accuracy and some distance as well when I started using fan type grips for mids and putters. Just a thought...

That's the thing is I am trying the fan grip and that's most of the time when I see the disc wobble the most. I don't have the biggest hands so I am wondering if the traditional fan grip may be putting me at a disadvantage? :\

Mrcpa what disc are you using? That might help a little. After rereading your initial post, I suspect you are doing a few things. 1. hold the disc firm, for power use the grip in the first video I posted.

Fan grip vary, try holding the disk with the fan grip except keep your pointer finger on the front edge of the disk. ( so thumb on top, pointer on the front edge and the last 3 fingers under the bottom in a fan.

2. when you throw, make sure you get that quick pop/flick motion from your wrist. This will give you the spin and reduce or eliminate the wobble altogether. This pop/flick needs to be added to putts and drives. The level of the pop/flick of the wrist will vary. You don't need as much on a putt going 20ft, you need a good bit of pop/flick on a drive (even with a midrange) I use a leopard 3 now. If you want to hyzer flip it, you need the toque from a good pop/flick to get the spin to cause the pop up to flat.

Once you get the hang of these you'll be able to drive your putter and get great distance. I driving my putter for the first time since my form has really improved and my jaw nearly dropped.. lol

Hope the tips help.

Mrcpa what disc are you using?.

I have a Champion Mako 3 167 g, Titanium Buzzz 167 g, 3 gateway wizards ( one in S, SSS, and RFF, wanted to see which type I liked more... 175g,174g,175g), and a MVP Proton Anode 169g (once again seeing if I liked it for a driving putter)... These are the discs I have that I would work on approach/putts with.

That's the thing is I am trying the fan grip and that's most of the time when I see the disc wobble the most. I don't have the biggest hands so I am wondering if the traditional fan grip may be putting me at a disadvantage? :\

Yeah, my hands are on the larger side so fan grips help me keep the disk straighter than when using a power grip. Grips are really personal, kind of like a putting routine. You just have to play around with different grips until you find yours. I found my particular fan type grip by just grabbing a disc and trying to keep it flat through the reach back all the way to the hit. I wasn't necessarily focusing on any particular grip that I've seen people do, just what felt comfortable and what gave me the best control of the disc. Once I started focusing on disc orientation rather than my grip, that's when it seemed like I started seeing big improvements.

Latest posts