• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFlicks
I don't really understand number 3. You mean on my initial x step?

http://www.innovadiscs.com/media/PDF/x-step-chart.pdf

This helps with your footwork of the x step. Notice how the right foot is perpendicular to your line. Also notice that the right foot is slightly offset forward of the left foot in the last step. This closes your hips at that point which will generate power when you open up your hips on the pull through.

Why do they all have Grooves?! lol

Anyways, I would recommend dropping the Nuke, Groove, Avenger, and Flick. Pick up a Teebird, Trak, or Volt to couple with that Leopard if you have to have a driver in the bag. Until you can throw the fairway drivers 350' you probably shouldn't be using the really high speed stuff as they mask form flaws.

Bolded: not true as stated. Should be more like until you can throw your fairway drivers 300-350 with EXTREME ACCURACY. Those are internet distances of course, so really you should aim for about 280-320 real feet before trying a driver. Then just use the distance driver for field work for awhile until you are really confident with your fairway drivers. Most high-level players reach for their fairway drivers more than their distance drivers anyway.

My only other point is I would keep the Avenger and not get a Teebird...yet. Definetly drop the Nuke, Groove and Flick (for now). I think the Avenger is a decent begginers disc, but an Avenger SS would help you more at this juncture. And if you need something a little more stable than a Leo, I'd go with a Gazelle or an Eagle.

Just suggestions, though.

Gflicks, there's one thing I want to mention. Alot of newer players believe that if they research technique and practice a bunch, they'll be able to throw 500' in 6 months to a year. Despite what some people say to encourage this belief, it's not always true. The rare naturals at the sport may pull it off, but many disc golfers work at it for 10-20 years and don't reach 400'. Like it's said with many other sports, some people have it and some people don't.

Now I'm not saying you won't be able to throw far. I just don't want people having too high of hopes. Always aim to improve, just don't be upset if you don't get X feet. And remember, if you get to where you can throw around 300' accurately, you can do really well on most courses.

Listen to Knettles. I would bet 9/10 people who play this game have never and will never throw something like a Teebird 350.

I went out and played 18 and just got back. I shot a 66, 60 is par, with all mid-range and putter. Wasn't to irritated but today I showed much more control on all of my drives(except a couple). I could have shot maybe a 63-64 but my putting wasn't to hot today. Didn't get a chance to video a drive today because it rained in the middle of us playing. Tomorrow I am heading out to do some field work and I think play that 18 again and maybe another 9 at another course. Def will get videos tomorrow in the field with distances! It was fun being able to actually get some disc to hold the line for once today though!

The Zone and Magnet are very different. You can get both and they will serve you well.

For strictly putting purposes, get the Magnet. The Zone is really overstable for an every day putter. It's better as an approach or driving disc.

The best thing to do for putting is to go to a disc golf store and touch ALL OF THEM. Feel all the diff kinds of plastics, beads, rim depths, stiffness, all the stuff there is to feel. Another thing is to try some diff styles of putters to see what you want to commit to. Remember, your putt will change all kinds of ways. It isn't about what you want to add to your putt, it is about what you want to stop doing.

The best thing to do for putting is to go to a disc golf store and touch ALL OF THEM. Feel all the diff kinds of plastics, beads, rim depths, stiffness, all the stuff there is to feel. Another thing is to try some diff styles of putters to see what you want to commit to. Remember, your putt will change all kinds of ways. It isn't about what you want to add to your putt, it is about what you want to stop doing.

Really loving my Banger more then all my other ones, Zone, Challenger, Soft Magnet, Aviars. I also changed my grip to not throwing a Fan, more of a modified power, instead of a power grip. The control of the disc changed quite a bit!

4 things I'm seeing.

1st, You are grabbing the disc with Your left hand on Your pull back, try keeping the left arm pinned down by Your hip.

2nd again with the left hand, You are keeping it out up in the air slowing down Your rotation. Again keep it pinned to Your side.

3rd, Your Plant foot (right foot) is angled about 45 degrees towards the basket, it needs to be 90 degrees or lined up with the front of the tee box. Anything forward like You are doing is causing Your hips to open up to soon, leads to grip locks, and effects your overall distance.

4th, Hard to tell but it looks like You are pulling across Your body in a C shape, when it need to be a straight line close to Your body. Once You get the hang of that the disc should be ripping out of Your hand.

These are all great points. In point 3, if you do your X-step right, this will happen naturally.

My tip for point 4 is to really think about a straight line. If you have a counter top with room to do a full throwing motion just to the side, stand there and work on your pull through. You should lead with your elbow and really try to keep everything on a line parallel with the counter top edge.

Additionally, I am glad to hear that you are working on your grip.

Some more food for thought, it is fairly clear that you are off balance with your form right now. This should improve as you get the form, but think about taking a more athletic stance. Your legs are so striaght and this is really only going to kill any form improvements. This is not to say that your plant leg won't be straight at some point, but clearly it is throwing off your balance. Be on the balls of your feet and you are already turning naturally on your heel just find and that should continue.

Here is one of my new favorite videos that should give you some more tips to think about.

Ok so a buddy and me went out and played 18 today and threw for about 2 hours before then to work on some form. We went into a 4 hole play off and I ended up shooting a 64 while he shot a 65. Should have both shot prob 3-4 shots better but missed easy putts we normally make. It happens though.
I have quite a few videos of both of our forehands and backhands. Check them out for us guys! I think I got my plant foot better. While throwing We both were throwing our Mid-Range and our Drivers anywhere from 230-305. We weren't really consistent and didn't have many go over 300 but we had a few touch around there.

Friends Backhands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTIHxKdMTt4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJI1rtItDZQ

Friends Forehand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buye7VZhA1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3EeMv9_EUU

My Backhand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSTbVm5zcJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4fKLVsQ1fY

My Forehand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV9YS3mCRVs <-----Forehand Nuke landed about 295-300
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC3FBgT3BSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfcj6fttXqw

Thanks for the critiques guys! Still wasn't hitting consistent distances and it is kinda frustrating but I feel I am getting a little better.

I can't give any tips except maybe try to lower your center of gravity some, but there is a very clear improvement from your 1st vids to these :clap:

Agreed Much better then the first vids.:thmbup:
Backhand info only:
Your pull through, left shoulder to release, still seem a little slow. Also had trouble seeing but it looked like you opened your hand on the release. Look at your buddies throw his hand is clamped shut at release and follow through

You buddy.... He needs to work on his footwork, at release all his weight should be on his right foot, leaning into the shot. He has most of his weight back and off balance all together. He is aslo pulling up super high on his pull back, not always a bad thing, but its causing him trouble on his pull through.

Agreed Much better then the first vids.:thmbup:
Backhand info only:
Your pull through, left shoulder to release, still seem a little slow. Also had trouble seeing but it looked like you opened your hand on the release. Look at your buddies throw his hand is clamped shut at release and follow through

You buddy.... He needs to work on his footwork, at release all his weight should be on his right foot, leaning into the shot. He has most of his weight back and off balance all together. He is aslo pulling up super high on his pull back, not always a bad thing, but its causing him trouble on his pull through.

Alright I will let him know! So I need to keep my hand closed even after release? That's where the snap comes from?

Alright I will let him know! So I need to keep my hand closed even after release? That's where the snap comes from?

Yea somewhat, when the disc rips out of Your hand it is taking all the energy from Your body with it. When You open Your hand then a large percentage of the power is lost will be present. I won't grip it that tight for up shots, but when I'm looking for a long drive then grip is key.

Yea somewhat, when the disc rips out of Your hand it is taking all the energy from Your body with it. When You open Your hand then a large percentage of the power is lost will be present. I won't grip it that tight for up shots, but when I'm looking for a long drive then grip is key.

For longer shots how do you release with such a tight grip? I kind of feel like I have to open my hand.

First of all, great improvement!

Keep working on keeping things straight on a line when you pull through. It still looks a bit rounded off to me.

The biggest thing I am excited about is your balance. This is so much better. You can still work however on making it a bit smoother. When you run up, it seems like you slow down your entire momentum right before you throw. This means you just lost all the advantage you gained by doing an X-step. Yes, you will stop momentum to put it into the disc but it seems like you slow down so much that you are loosing so much power.

First of all, great improvement!

Keep working on keeping things straight on a line when you pull through. It still looks a bit rounded off to me.

The biggest thing I am excited about is your balance. This is so much better. You can still work however on making it a bit smoother. When you run up, it seems like you slow down your entire momentum right before you throw. This means you just lost all the advantage you gained by doing an X-step. Yes, you will stop momentum to put it into the disc but it seems like you slow down so much that you are loosing so much power.

I just haven't noticed the Cish shape when I am throwing. I will do what I can to bring it straight across tomorrow morning when I go throw some! I might post another video, not 100% sure yet. Wondering what I can do with my forehand to improve it as well.

Played 9 this morning shot +4 on a par 3 course. I have trouble driving and putting myself in a birdie situation. I did 2 holes today though and hit one putt and just made a stupid mistake and missed the other.