• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling

Played 9 this morning shot +4 on a par 3 course. I have trouble driving and putting myself in a birdie situation. I did 2 holes today though and hit one putt and just made a stupid mistake and missed the other.

Coming from someone that is in the same boat you are in (roughly four months of actual playing) I will say that the distance is nice but there are other skills to disc golf that will help you in the long run.

In the two times (I may have missed a post or two) you have posted your scores you have mentioned putting being a pain point. How often do you practice that vs driving? Getting comfortable with the 20-25 foot puts will do a lot for extending that "birdie situation" you want to put yourself in.

There is a really good post here that mentions building up your repitore of shots and getting comfortable with them. With those shots, so come the birdies.

I recently played my first tourny, a three round circus tent with portable baskets. Two of the three rounds were the best I have ever played (+1 and +5) on a par 69... giggity. I believe, looking back on it, that one of the reasons I played so well was because I didnt know the scores. I had no idea how far over or under par I was until the end of the round. This took a load off of my mind and helped me focus on one shot at a time. Not thinking "I need to score a X on this hole, otherwise I wont beat my personal best."

TL;DR: Develop your putting and up-shots along with your distance. When doing course work: play the shots first, one at a time, and you will be surprised where your scores end up at the end of a round.

^^^ Throw a thumber!!! :D

Lol I have a decent "Hammer" that I throw sometimes if I am wanting to risk it through the woods. Also I developed a roller the other day out of the blue. Tried it, went close to 280-300 and we played best disc so I threw it numerous times, even through woods sometimes, and it went quite well. Still have some kinks to work out with it but trying to get my backhand to where I want it first!

Here's a critique: please take videos in landscape, not portrait

Really loving my Banger more then all my other ones, Zone, Challenger, Soft Magnet, Aviars. I also changed my grip to not throwing a Fan, more of a modified power, instead of a power grip. The control of the disc changed quite a bit!

Bangers are the whiz.. Get some soft ones and watch the magic happen

Bangers are the whiz.. Get some soft ones and watch the magic happen

I've been keeping an eye out locally for some. I'm going home this weekend and gonna check out the Play it Again Sports shop and see what they have! Might be picking up a TeeBird or TL for down the road.

Is there anything wrong with my FH technique that you see?

The thing I noticed is that you are throwing with nothing but your shoulder and arm. The run-up energy is not being transferred into the disc. You are letting your arm get way too far forward during the moments just prior to release. This is evident by how far back your center of mass is in relation to your outstretched forearm. At the hit, your weight is mostly over your rear (right) foot and should be over your front (left) foot.

Your shoulder, elbow and arm look to be in good positions throughout the throw. This part of the form looks pretty good, but you are only throwing with your arm.

Work on getting your center of gravity over the disc throughout the entire throw. I would bet that your stand-still FH is pretty good as you would only be using your hips, shoulder-turn, arm and wrist with a stand-still throw. Working from a stand-still will help you to start transferring your weight into the throw. Once you can get your weight transferred to your front foot, then you should be able to start adding steps to transfer more of the energy that is being stored from your lower body.

The thing I noticed is that you are throwing with nothing but your shoulder and arm. The run-up energy is not being transferred into the disc. You are letting your arm get way too far forward during the moments just prior to release. This is evident by how far back your center of mass is in relation to your outstretched forearm. At the hit, your weight is mostly over your rear (right) foot and should be over your front (left) foot.

Your shoulder, elbow and arm look to be in good positions throughout the throw. This part of the form looks pretty good, but you are only throwing with your arm.

Work on getting your center of gravity over the disc throughout the entire throw. I would bet that your stand-still FH is pretty good as you would only be using your hips, shoulder-turn, arm and wrist with a stand-still throw. Working from a stand-still will help you to start transferring your weight into the throw. Once you can get your weight transferred to your front foot, then you should be able to start adding steps to transfer more of the energy that is being stored from your lower body.

Huge help. I just did a walk through and realized what you were saying. I will work on that when I hit the field because I'm strictly back handing during my rounds to work on it

It's real easy to see it in your videos if you pause it and step through frame-by-frame. In real-time, I know it's hard to feel what I described. I have this problem too even though I'm more centered over my front foot. I need to work on getting my back foot off the ground to avoid my excessive toe-drag. (This is what is most likely limiting me to a max of around 380'.) Typically, I don't have a run-up at all for distances under 250'. Just my forearm and wrist is good for about 150'. Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

Had the opportunity to play with a collegiate national champion today at our school course! He is on the Tn Tech Disc golf team and he can bomb some drives. He told me my putting is good just need to risk a putt sometimes and go for chains, and he said my approach game is on point. He gave me some driving pointers though! He shot a -4 and i shot +1, which is my course best. I shot +6 last week so I am doing better guys! Almost aced a hole with my forehand flick today as well! WIll post a video next time I can to keep everyone updated!

Alright guys, its been a while. Took a video of more of a finesse shot today because the tee is about 10-20 feet in the woods. I feel like my form and my shots have gotten much better but still have alot of room to improve! Also, my brother just started playing and wanted me to get him critiqued if possible because half the time he doesn't believe me about form so I figured I'd let the experts get ahold of him! Thanks everyone!

Me:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=JFs-KduMAyE

Hunter(brother):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=oC93uFKwgx4

Spend an hour or two every other day just using a leopard and putter round. This will open up all kinds of doors