• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Superclass?

atari4003

Has superclass disc golf all but disappeared? I see little mention of it beyond about 3 years ago. I wonder what some of you around here think of it at this point in time. Was it a flop? I think the disc diameter and high weight limits make it very lopsided in favor of Zephyrs and similar golf discs. I personally would have liked to have seen a lower weight limit on the discs so it could be more of an even playing field for Frisbee type discs, like say a midnight flyer or Ultrastar.

I really enjoy playing this type of "frisbee" golf, at least as much as regular disc golf. It is extremely fun (in my opinion) to play short pole hole courses with a frisbee. I thought one of the goals of the superclass division was to get Ultimate and others familiar with traditional Frisbees into the sport- but it makes throwing regular frisbees almost pointless when playing against someone with a heavy zephyr or te moko.

What do you think? Could new rules and regulations be instated? or is it best left alone?

Some friends and I tried it a few times. It was fun and a nice change of pace, but it should definitely be called Zephyr-class.

A private course in our area has an annual Zephyr tournament, and also has informal Zephyr rounds every week after league. It is fun and a good change of pace.

Yes, if it was going to be a thing the Zypher can be the only real disc in the class.

If you expanded and let Superhero, Te Moko, Condor and the ilk count it would probably catch on more.

Well, really any light older school type of Frisbee like disc should be allowed.

Looking up at my wall I should grab my blizzard plastic zephyr weighing in at a sweet 155g. Oops I'm trying to keep that as wall hanger but anyhow grabbing a Frisbee like disc and heading to local short course would be a challenge.

I like that idea. It might get me to play more of the shorter tight stuff that I used to enjoy as a lad. Already thinking of a course I haven't played in almost 20 years that I used to love!

A private course in our area has an annual Zephyr tournament, and also has informal Zephyr rounds every week after league. It is fun and a good change of pace.

Where do you live, heaven? I love going out and playing Zephyr only rounds.

I like the condor because it's kinda like a bigger Roc. Grip and rip. Roll. Finesse and even putt. Great disc for the Super Class type.

throw a Lightning upshot if you want a little more DG style Frisbee like mold. VERY fun to throw around and just came up on a older one which is $ in the air.

Last edited:
Yes, if it was going to be a thing the Zypher can be the only real disc in the class.

If you expanded and let Superhero, Te Moko, Condor and the ilk count it would probably catch on more.

Superhero and Te Moko are superclass legal. Zephyrs are just better...

I like the condor because it's kinda like a bigger Roc. Grip and rip. Roll. Finesse and even putt. Great disc for the Super Class type.

Condors are fantastic.

But not Superclass legal.

throw a Lightning upshot if you want a little more DG style Frisbee like mold. VERY fun to throw around and just came up on a older one which is $ in the air.

Lightning actually has a lot of really fun to throw molds.

How about it AIM? You and I, let's put Lightning back on the map.

#TeamLightning

#ThisLightningNeverEvenStruckOnce

I like playing with the zephyr (condors are pretty damn cool too), but I have never played with any other superclass discs.
I think a superclass tourney would be fun.

I think a superclass tourney would be fun.

Yes! I'll play rounds on a rare occasion only bringing my Condor, Zephyr, and a putter. What if the players' packs from a tourney included a superclass disc and there was a final nine where ONLY that disc was used? That could be a good time!

Condors aren't Superclass fellas. They're just big. And putting with the Zephyr is half the fun.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SuperClass.JPG
    SuperClass.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 180
^ Hmmm...any info on the Innova Apple or the Super Nova? I've never heard of the Apple but I do have a Super Nova for playing catch. Does this mean it's PDGA legal?

Now you've all done it. I need to try this out. I think I have an Ultra-Star in the garage for playing catch, but a Zephyr sounds like a lot of fun.

Blendon Woods with a superclass... Sounds like a fun outing to have with the guys.