Surge's Bag - 2024

Surge5

Self-Appointed Cubic Zirconia Club Manager
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hello. Instead of recording a boring, low-quality video I figured why not share my bag with people I actually like (or semi-like, verdict's still out on @Tyler V 😜)

We'll go from least stable to most in each category.

ZomboMeme 16012024081819.jpg

Like any good ITB, the putting putters: Discraft APX. An older Elite Pro run (not first run) and then a more recent X-Soft. The Elite is the main one... not much to explain, it's for putts. The X-Soft is amazing for risk/reward putts as with enough spin and pop it will get a nice little float, but with the lower glide it doesn't sail past the basket (take that, Glitch fans).

ZomboMeme 16012024081043.jpg

Throwing putters:
- Star Invader: good grip for star plastic, nice little turnover putter, but the main use is I have it dialed in for 100-150ft open hyzer upshots. Absolute Money
- Neutron Envy: classic Envy. Straight flight, mine is beating in to have a tiny bit of turn. Doesn't have a ton of fade.
- Eclipse Envy: No turn, reliable fade even in wind.
- Z Zone: do I need to explain?
- Z Zone Banger-GT: this one I need to explain. It has more fade than the standard Zone, reliable even with a lot of power behind it. I can rely on both Zones in forehand situations, but if I really need to move right, the ZBGT also has less flip and more rightward movement.

Overall, these are going 180-230. I've grown into throwing putters in 2023 and I enjoy having reliable upshot options (a problem pre-'23). Probably the part of my game that has shaved the most strokes off in '23.

ZomboMeme 16012024081111.jpg

Mids:
- ESP Buzzz SS: after a long year of testing different mildly flippy mids (Fuse, Hex, X Buzzz, Z Buzzz SS) I settled on the ESP SS. Just the right amount of flip for my backhand power, but not so much it becomes a roller (a-la Fuse and X Buzzz)
- Z-Swirl Buzzz: yes, it's the 2020 Paige run. Thanks for finding the most expensive run of Buzz and getting me hooked on it @Pevio. Straight, with reliable finish.
- Eclipse Reactor: the better EMac Truth. The feeling of the flat top is great. Reliable stability.
- 400 MX-1: another journey for the perfect disc story: looking for a wicked-stable forehand mid. Tried the Verdict, Drone, and Justice before finally settling on... a Prodigy disc 🤢. But the fit over my fourth knuckle can't be denied; it's perfect. Definitely a longer flight than the Zone GT, so not an overlapping spot. Can get a little turn on it if forced over, but still fades hard and fast.

These are going 240-280. I'd like to be pushing 320 by the end of the year (hence my Surge wants a better backhand post).

ZomboMeme 16012024081206.jpg

Fairway Drivers:
- Neutron Crave: probably the most beat up disc in my bag. Sub-250' flex lines and big high turnovers are the main use of this one.
- Eternal Jackalope: the disc that can fly in the shape of a backhand with my forehand. Is that ideal? No. Does it work? Yes. Doesn't get a ton of use, but when it does it really blows my mind.
- Neutron Amp: point at a spot, throw this disc flat at it, let it turn and fade, and it will be right on the line. It's really unfortunate this disc went OOP. I have my stash but I doubt it's enough.
- Steady Cookie: a disc I never would have tried except I got one in a player's pack. It's a Teebird clone that can hold up to a forehand, but can also be used on flex lines. Really reliable disc.
- Neutron Resistor: lightweight, floaty, super-dependable fade. Another long-term stay in my bag, it gets a tiny turn with so much wear, but it's a Resistor, it still fades.
- Eclipse Resistor: super beefy, I can pump it hard but it won't turn. It's another great forehand disc.

Usually pushing 300-330 unless I'm using it for a utility shot.

ZomboMeme 16012024081301.jpg

Control Drivers:
- Cosmic Neutron Insanity: always get big turn disc, but always going to get reliable straight finish. Sneaky distance, sometimes it sneaks past 375'. A disc I'm good at losing, this is my fourth one since the beginning of '23.
- 400 Feedback: I was a Wrath fan for the 9/5/0/2 slot, but decided to give the -1/3 a try when I lost my last good Wrath... what a difference. KJ made a great disc: more reliable movement in both directions and more distance than the Wrath. It's a baby Wraith... and if you keep reading you'll see why I like that.
- Neutron Fireball: lightweight to get a lot of forward movement before its eventual dump. But it does dump as a good OS fairway should.

I separate fairways and control drivers because these 9-speeds simply go farther. 350 at a minimum, sometimes passing 380 with the Insanity.

ZomboMeme 16012024081333.jpg

Distance Drivers:
- Pro Wraith: Roller disc.
- GStar Wraith: trying to be my long turnover driver, but a bit too flippy, trying out the DGA Rogue for this slot at some point this year.
- Star Wraith: max distance, straight finishing disc. Grean for small anny shots, and a tailwind bomber.
- Champion Wraith: my original distance driver. When released flat it does the -1 turn, 3 fade that the Wraith is best at. You can read my love story with this disc here: [Innova] - Wraith love - post your stories
- Halo Star Wraith: Overstable Wraith, probably flies like most people's Destroyers. Great for wind.
- Z Machete: The beefcake 340' shot. Wind shots and utility overstable shots. Not pushing huge distance out of this one, and usually isn't used for max distance unless I want something to move more right than the Fireball.

ZomboMeme 16012024081920.jpg

That's it, I carry a Missouri flag DD Paratrooper (The only Trilogy/HOD product currently I use). No real discs needing immediate replacement, although I'll probably try a Rogue for that GStar Wraith spot. Other discs I'm interested in trying this year are the Dune from Trash Panda, and the Watt just for funsies. Might try Fission plastic on a bit heavier Fireball, but after that I'm just after backups of my current discs. Pretty happy with my current setup, anyone see any glaring holes? Thanks for reading if you made it this far... as a reward, I'll tell you my favorite color: yellow.

Attachments

• 20231206_131433.jpg
    20231206_131433.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240116_201637.jpg
    20240116_201637.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That zone banger gt surprised me. I didn't want to like it since I putt with original ringer gts lol. I like the bead and thumbtrack when it is snowing. I can almost feel the disc when my fingers are frozen with a thumbtrack and bead lol. I think they should run both the ringer and banger zone gt molds.

On that mx-1, I want to like it. It feels great in the hand but I too am still looking for a disc in that spot. Not really pushing prodigy in my bag for 2024.

I would have tossed the Bergs in the vault with you. Better laid to rest than thrown.

The Google sheets would have been nice tho...

That zone banger gt surprised me. I didn't want to like it since I putt with original ringer gts lol. I like the bead and thumbtrack when it is snowing. I can almost feel the disc when my fingers are frozen with a thumbtrack and bead lol. I think they should run both the ringer and banger zone gt molds.

On that mx-1, I want to like it. It feels great in the hand but I too am still looking for a disc in that spot. Not really pushing prodigy in my bag for 2024.

I didn't think I'd like the Banger, either, but it fills a different slot for me while the Ringer just... doesn't do anything different than a standard Z Zone.

I didn't want to support Prodigy... but their newer molds are slowly winning my approval. I'll never be a supporter, but I do approve of the MX-1 and Feedback.

I didn't think I'd like the Banger, either, but it fills a different slot for me while the Ringer just... doesn't do anything different than a standard Z Zone.

I didn't want to support Prodigy... but their newer molds are slowly winning my approval. I'll never be a supporter, but I do approve of the MX-1 and Feedback.
Nice looking bag! Have you thrown a Quake? I bag one as a step up from my Reactors and they are fantastic.

I haven't thrown any DGA. Might give it a peek with the Rogue!

I notice you don't bag any Northmen OR Condors. Kinda weird...

Dazed And Confused GIF

In your experience, how flippy is the Buzzz SS compared to a Fuse? I used to have a Fuse but it flipped a littlle too much for me, and that's a part of my bag I've never been happy with. I have a couple of ESP Buzzzes and I just make the older one work for the time being.

In your experience, how flippy is the Buzzz SS compared to a Fuse? I used to have a Fuse but it flipped a littlle too much for me, and that's a part of my bag I've never been happy with. I have a couple of ESP Buzzzes and I just make the older one work for the time being.

Z Buzzz SS was too stable for what I wanted, Fuse was too flippy. The ESP is the perfect "moves right but finishes straight" that I was looking for. Probably gonna try the Detour and Dune at some point cause it is a fun slot to throw when you can get it right, but I'm happy with the ESP for now.

If you want wicked over stable and solid feel in the hands, try the Walker in Bravo Plastic from Lone Star Discs. I used to bag the Justice and it did what I wanted but I never like the hand feel, got a Walker as CTP prize and instantly fell in love. The Bravo is slightly gummy but way more overstable than the firmer Alpha plastic. Less skip than the alpha, but really lets you dial in your distance and stick the landing.

If you want wicked over stable and solid feel in the hands, try the Walker in Bravo Plastic from Lone Star Discs. I used to bag the Justice and it did what I wanted but I never like the hand feel, got a Walker as CTP prize and instantly fell in love. The Bravo is slightly gummy but way more overstable than the firmer Alpha plastic. Less skip than the alpha, but really lets you dial in your distance and stick the landing.
Profile looks like the MX-1 with dome, might just get me to try some LSD- wait, not that!

Definitely worth a shot giving them a try. I was not convinced for a long time to try them because so many people make fun of them. But they have several very solid molds and some of the plastic combos are Kastaplast esque in feel. And I always loved me some Kastaplast plastic. I have smaller hands and a few of their molds are smaller depth rimmed versions of discs I would love to throw but can't get a clean release on because of the rim depth.

Added pics to the thread cause it's too cold to do anything else.

That's a lot of throwing putters that do almost the same thing. Good for a field work session, but I don't think I'd bother with the bag space on the course. Especially the Invader and the Envy seem like they'd overlap. A nicely seasoned electron Envy can be pretty neutral to flippy.

I have bagged electron Envys before, but they don't do the chip hyzer upshots like the Invader does, and since they fly the same on a full throw the Invader gets the spot.

ZomboMeme 01022024010505.jpg

First confirmed addition to the bag for the year, the DGA Rogue.

I picked this up on Facebook for 12 bucks. Has the exact flight path I'm looking for, gets max distance on my forehand while moving a bit to the left, but not burning over into a roller. This replaces the GStar Wraith.

First throw was measured at 433' by Udisc 🤯

20240329_090535.jpg

A replacement and a new plastic type. The glow Envy to replace the blue-rimmed one I lost at Bennett Park.

The Sunny Cookie is a true 0-turn disc. The fade is light like the other Steady Cookies I have, but the turn is non-existent. Now looks like I'll be carrying two Cookies!

Latest posts