• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Switch Hitting

Cyrus333

Bogey Member
When my friend introduced me to disc golf years ago, he was stunned and confused that I used both arms to putt with. I am right handed but consistently drive with my left arm. this past year I decided to learn how to throw with my right arm to try and get bigger distance, didn't take long about three days to fine tune the mechanics. Whenever I jump in with a group of players they all seem to be surprised that I use both arms.

So my question is how many out there are able to "switch hit" consistently with accuracy?

I throw with left sometimes, but it's usually a desperate situation.

you are new, you are not supposed to have good original threads :) You are supposed to be posting "Hey guys Innova or discraft and Is this an ace?
It's very refreshing, Welcome to DGCR :thmbup:

***Edit*** Sorry I see you have been around a while, just haven't posted, either way good idea

when I used to play ultimate I could throw with both hands, but I have yet to try it in DG. I tend to use forehand for shots going right, but you are tempting me to try this out.

Current Pro Masters Champ, Phil Arthur from Georgia throws over 400 with each hand.

I use either hand to throw when I'm Freestylin' or just playing catch. My regular Freestyle partner prefers counter spin, so I've developed a pretty good Air Bounce left-handed. Another guy likes clock spin so I've also learned a left-handed Wrist Flip.

Not so much on the disc golf course though.

I am not a switch hitter in anything I do (disc golf or life in general) so don't get any ideas...you know who you are.

I am a fan of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). I had a hard enough time trying to figure out what to do with my non-throwing arm, god forbid I actually put a disc in it. I would be a mess.

I am not a switch hitter in anything I do (disc golf or life in general) so don't get any ideas...you know who you are.

I am a fan of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). I had a hard enough time trying to figure out what to do with my non-throwing arm, god forbid I actually put a disc in it. I would be a mess.

You should give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. My buddy hurt his shoulder and has been playing off (left) handed, I decided to try it for one loop and found I can huck it 200' and in the general direction I intended (as long as I don't try a run up). I've used it regular rounds successfully now on a couple occasions, it's another nice shot to have in the bag.

I usually use a sidearm instead of the lefty. If I throw more than five shots, my shoulder/arm is really sore the next day (i guess i don't use those muscles very much). My roomate just had surgery on his right hand and picked up throwing lefty rather quickly. He can easily get it out there 250-300, sometimes even out driving me :mad:

I thrown RHBH on most shots but my LHFH comes out quite a bit in the woods for escape shots and little rollers. I also use my left hand for thumbers but those are few and far between.

I threw left handed for @ 3 weeks while recuperating from an injury to my right hand.
I actually surprised myself, however, as soon as the Dr OK'd me, back to righty only...
I also have used the left hand for getting out of trouble.

I tried lefty when I broke my shoulder. I throw like my daughter when she was five. Between that and trying to reverse an X-step I probably looked spastic. I know I felt like it. (And yes I tripped a few times.:doh:) Short putts were OK though.

I used to be a fairly ambidextrous basketball player. That was 15+ years ago, I haven't played hoops in years. I'm too afraid I'll tweak a knee or something. I've never tried to throw a disc left handed.

All my throws are right-handed, but one dude I play with quite a bit throws left forehand and right backhand so everything fades to the left. A little counter-productive if you ask me because he can't make the most of the natural disc fades if he threw all south paw.

My soon to be brother in law does seem to find it amusing that I can fade the disc left or right to suit my needs.

During my baseball days I was a switch hitter. In my current disc golf days... strickly right for back hand and forearm. Don't know how many times I had to anhyzer and wished I go backhand lefty...

Latest posts