• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Taking the Oregon Trail (without the cholera I hope)

geebob

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Mrs Geebob and I will be spending the better part of three and a half weeks driving across 2/3 of the country and watching the Portland Open and Beaver State Fling. I've cribbed a good list of Oregon courses from wolfhaley's thread, so I think we're good there. We'll be visiting some friends and family, doing a bit of fishing, and a little sightseeing along the way, so plotted a route that includes some DG stops.

Here's what things look like right now:

Day 1 (5/24) – Mesker Park (Evansville) [5.5 hour drive (home to Mt. Vernon)]
Day 2 (5/25) – Harmony Bends (Columbia, MO) [7.5 hours (Mt. Vernon to Salina, KS]
Day 3 (5/26) – Ghost Town (Central City, CO) [7.5 hours (Salina to Idaho Springs, CO]
Day 4 (5/27) – (maybe) Watson Island (Grand Junction, CO) [3 hours (Idaho Springs to Grand Junction)]
Day 5 (5/28) – DATC Park (Kaysville, UT) [5 hours (Grand Junction to Kaysville, UT)]
Day 6 (5/29) – The Fort (Ogden, UT) [8 hours (Kaysville to Pendleton, OR)]
Day 7-10 (5/30 – 6/2) – spectating at Portland Open
Day 11-14 – bagging some Oregon courses
Day 15-17 (6/7 – 6/9) – spectating at Beaver State Fling
Day 18 (6/10) – Blue Mountain (Missoula) [9 hours (Portland to Missoula)]
Day 19 (6/11) – fishing day
Day 20 (6/12) – Spearfish Canyon (Spearfish) [9.5 hours (Missoula to Spearfish)
Day 21 (6/13) – Justin Trails (Sparta, WI) [10 hours (Spearfish to Sparta)]
Day 22 (6/14) – Wilderness (Montello, WI) [4 hours (Sparta to Spring Grove, IL)]
Day 23 (6/15) – Boylan Acres (Monrovia, IN) [7 hours (Spring Grove to home)]

A note or two:
Day 3 - hoping that the Denver traffic won't be too bad on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, so might be willing to detour to one of the better area courses. Suggestions welcome.
Day 4 - yeah, there are probably some better courses to hit than Watson's, but it was a favorite from my walk and chuck days.
Day 5 - will be staying with the in-laws so will probably try to coax my father-in-law into coming along for a few holes; if not, I might bag another course
Day 21-22 - it will be tough to limit myself to only one course a day in Wisconsin.

Really looking forward to the trip. Would love alternative stops, although we'll will need to limit long detours in the interest of sanity and marital harmony.

I can't give you any useful advice, but that looks like a hell of a trip!

Looks like a fantastic trip, and an outstanding selection of courses. I hope you have a blast!

Day 1 (5/24) – Mesker Park (Evansville) [5.5 hour drive (home to Mt. Vernon)]

I enjoyed Mesker Park. Mesker Woods is another good short course nearby.

Day 3 (5/26) – Ghost Town (Central City, CO) [7.5 hours (Salina to Idaho Springs, CO]

Ghost Town is unique and fun. I had a mild preference for Wondervu, which is nearby.

Day 3 - hoping that the Denver traffic won't be too bad on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, so might be willing to detour to one of the better area courses. Suggestions welcome.

You could make a day of it and play Bucksnort, Beaver Ranch (Main and Bluebird), and Bear Mountain, if that comports with marital harmony . . . 🙂

I enjoyed Mesker Park. Mesker Woods is another good short course nearby.

I've been thinking about going over there for a while (seems like the highway has been messed up since we moved here in 2019) so seems like a good time to finally hit it. Noted on Mesker Woods. (y)

Ghost Town is unique and fun. I had a mild preference for Wondervu, which is nearby.

Ok, it will be nice to get back up there.

You could make a day of it and play Bucksnort, Beaver Ranch (Main and Bluebird), and Bear Mountain, if that comports with marital harmony . . . 🙂

Definitely all on my list, but will probably have to wait until we're not on a tight schedule. We need to be in Junction on the 27th and a day of golf in Denver would cost me a fancy hotel and dinner at Root Down (admittedly, one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at).

I haven't played Mesker Park, Mesker Woods or Boylan Acres. Yet. Those are on the docket in a couple weeks here and I'll review them for sure. They look worthwhile for sure.

Bucksnort is absolutely amazing. The only 5 disc review I've ever given out actually. It's pretty pricey and they only book two groups a day so may not be the best option depending on time. Fantastic course though. Like Monocacy said, Bear Mountain and Beaver Ranch are also excellent. Glen Isle is newer but really good too. I'd play those over Ghost town or Wondervu but you can't go wrong with any of those options.

Spearfish Canyon is great too. If you have time don't sleep on Pageant Hill. Similar vibe to Spearfish and well worth a round. I loved both of those courses.

It's a shame I won't be around when you head through WI or I'd try to meet up. Justin Trails is awesome. Expect to spend a good amount of time there. Big Brother is a beast of a course (by WI standards). Must play as is Wilderness. If you happen to have time check out Veteran Hills in Viroqua. Very good course. Zobel is nice too and isn't terribly far away from Wilderness either.

Looks like an awesome time either way. Be safe and have a good trip. (y)

Day 3.. I would choose ANY course over Ghost Town (aka Junk Town). IMHO, it is way over rated! I had a reservation to play a solo round. However, I was forced to wait because my tee time was given to a group of four that showed up without a reservation. Which means I also got to wait on nearly every single hole! What is the point of having a reservation if it won't be honored?

I haven't played Mesker Park, Mesker Woods or Boylan Acres. Yet. Those are on the docket in a couple weeks here and I'll review them for sure. They look worthwhile for sure.

Bucksnort is absolutely amazing. The only 5 disc review I've ever given out actually. It's pretty pricey and they only book two groups a day so may not be the best option depending on time. Fantastic course though. Like Monocacy said, Bear Mountain and Beaver Ranch are also excellent. Glen Isle is newer but really good too. I'd play those over Ghost town or Wondervu but you can't go wrong with any of those options.

I'll pencil in Beaver Ranch for Ghost Town. Robin will probably appreciate Conifer if she isn't in a disc mood. Hopefully, the Hwy 73/74 traffic won't be too bad.

Spearfish Canyon is great too. If you have time don't sleep on Pageant Hill. Similar vibe to Spearfish and well worth a round. I loved both of those courses.

Yeah, I was hoping we'd have time for a two day stay in the Black Hills and I might still juggle things to make that happen. There's also some great fishing there as a bonus.

It's a shame I won't be around when you head through WI or I'd try to meet up. Justin Trails is awesome. Expect to spend a good amount of time there. Big Brother is a beast of a course (by WI standards). Must play as is Wilderness. If you happen to have time check out Veteran Hills in Viroqua. Very good course. Zobel is nice too and isn't terribly far away from Wilderness either.

Well, the good news is that my oldest (a true DG fanatic) is in the Milwaukee area and, with my retirement looming in January, I'll be spending more time in Wisconsin in the next few years. All of those courses and more are on my list, plus a few in Minnesota and (gasp) Iowa.

In Oregon, there's lots to choose from but of course Milo McGiver in Estacada, Whistler's Bend in Roseburg and Pier Park in Portland should be on your list of courses to bag.

Is there a reason for Harmony Bends over Eagle's Crossing?

I preferred Harmony over Eagle's, just wondering about why you made that decision.

Is there a reason for Harmony Bends over Eagle's Crossing?

I preferred Harmony over Eagle's, just wondering about why you made that decision.

About 50% proximity to our route of travel and 50% being a cheapskate. Throw in another percent or two because I enjoyed watching the tournament at Harmony and it seems like a course I'll enjoy. I probably will play Eagle's in the future, but I'd like to make sure that I have enough time to make it value for my "soon to be fixed-income" money.

Well, the good news is that my oldest (a true DG fanatic) is in the Milwaukee area and, with my retirement looming in January, I'll be spending more time in Wisconsin in the next few years. All of those courses and more are on my list, plus a few in Minnesota and (gasp) Iowa.

That's awesome to here. I'm originally from the Milwaukee area. There's not a ton of courses down there but there's a TON more than when I lived there. Nothing great but some solid, flat as all hell, for you courses. :D

Let me know what you play in Oregon too. You'll be there just before I'll get to play them. Also, review whatever you can, you write some DAMN good reviews. (y)

That's awesome to here. I'm originally from the Milwaukee area. There's not a ton of courses down there but there's a TON more than when I lived there. Nothing great but some solid, flat as all hell, for you courses. :D

Let me know what you play in Oregon too. You'll be there just before I'll get to play them. Also, review whatever you can, you write some DAMN good reviews. (y)

Yes, I've "played" a number of the Milwaukee courses, meaning that in the old days I'd walk around with a few random discs without a clue what I was doing. It was at Estabrook last year with my daughter when I finally decided that after years of throwing 100' hyzers and random rollers I might actually put some effort into this hobby. If I would have stumbled onto one of my Kentucky courses 10 years ago, I might have caught the bug back then (or been so terrified that I'd never pick up a disc again).

Will definitely let you know what we stumble upon in Oregon. Right now, I think we have enough on the list that we'd need to play five a day to make a dent in it. And thanks for the kind words about the reviews. I'm in the middle of one right now that is a tough one, but I might even finish it today.

Harmony Bends will blow your mind. We made the trip over from SW Ohio last year. If you can squeeze in Prides Creek Park (the highest-rated Indiana course) on the way by I highly recommend It!

Harmony Bends will blow your mind. We made the trip over from SW Ohio last year. If you can squeeze in Prides Creek Park (the highest-rated Indiana course) on the way by I highly recommend It!

Looking forward to Harmony Bends. I think we'll play it with my daughter and son in law, so should be a blast.

Prides Creek is definitely on the list. I'll be in Nashville, IN in May so might take a side trip there and bag it then.

Latest posts